TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default What is the competition up to?

As we have discussed over the past few days, Trail Manor has just introduced the TrailMini. It looks like a great little rig, and will definitely meet a market need for a small but well-equipped, low-profile, lightweight travel trailer.

So, what is the competition doing? Hi-Lo has just introduced a model called the Mojo. It is a kind of retro-looking teardrop trailer, and as Tim Sample would say, it is "wicked cute"! You'll have to decide how much you are willing to pay for "cute", but the new issue of the Good Sam magazine, and the Hi-Lo web site, have the rest of the story - or at least most of it.

The Mojo is, and is intended to be, a smaller trailer than the TrailMini, which makes it hard to compare the two. In addition, Hi-Lo has played the basic-configuration-vs-options game to the max, making options of several items that are standard on the TrailMini. And of course, that affects the stated dry weight (1400 pounds for the Mojo vs 1850 pounds for the Mini), hitch weight (140 vs 260 pounds), and base price ($12,593). So you can't compare them right out of the box.

Unlike other HiLo trailers, the Mojo's opener is spring loaded, not unlike the TM's torsion bars. Interior height is 6 feet, shorter than the TrailMini. The dinette converts into a bed - the bed is permanent in the TrailMini. There is no bathroom in the Mojo, and so no shower or private space. A hardwall bathroom with toilet, shower and sink is standard on the TrailMini.

According to the article and the Hi-Lo web site, Mojo options include a refrigerator, furnace, drop-down stabilizer jacks, spare tire, Porta-Potti, and propane bottle, all standard on the TrailMini, as well as awning, battery, Fantastic fan, and air conditioner, which are options on the TrailMini as well. (Hi-Lo lists the propane bottle as both optional and standard equipment.) Fresh water capacity on the Mojo is listed as 6 gallons, vs 20 gallons on the TrailMini. No mention is made of a water heater; the TM has a 6 gallon two-way unit. The Mojo does not have a black water system, of course, and apparently not a gray water system, either. Like a canvas pop-up, I imagine that it dumps gray water directly into a bucket outside. A screen door is standard.

At this point, specs and prices for both trailers are pretty skimpy. My guess is that once they are equipped with an equivalent set of options, they won't be too different in weight or price - but we'll have to wait to be sure about that.

My conclusion is that both manufacturers have added a nice model at the bottom end of their size and weight scale. That is a good move in today's world. Either will be of interest to single travellers or couples. The TrailMini might accomodate a small child as well; it is hard to think that the Mojo could do so. Both of these trailers will work well with smaller tow vehicles, of course.

And Hi-Lo apparently got the jump on magazine publicity. I'm surprised.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
ng2951

The outside paint scheme kind of reminds me of the Mystery Van from Scoobie Do. Its got pretty good exterior styling, but standup room looks like it is limited to just under 6.5'.

If I were guessing, its designed to compete more against the Chalet line and not the Mini. They are priced about the same, but it is debateable as too which one is the superior product.

However, the MoJo looks a lot cooler...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
photoadjuster

Default What is the competition up to?

Your asked "What is the competition up to?"

Mostly they are standing in line down at the bankruptcy court.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuster View Post
Your asked "What is the competition up to?"

Mostly they are standing in line down at the bankruptcy court.
LOL Sad but true
Old 04-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

The MoJo was out well before the, TrailMini I saw one at a show last January
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow, you'd think their web page would be in better shape than it is. It still looks very preliminary, with very little detail beyond a few pictures, and no pricing other than the MSRP for the totally unoptioned base vehicle.

I'm looking forward to articles about the TrailMini.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
sharoden

In speaking with the TM Dealer here in Illinois, he mentioned that Camping World is going under. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoden View Post
In speaking with the TM Dealer here in Illinois, he mentioned that Camping World is going under. Has anyone else heard this?

I haven't heard any news of that. I bet the NASCAR truck series would hate losing their sponsorship.

FYI, here is a link to what some of the competition is doing......as far as closings and bankruptcies.

http://rvtravel.com/publish/news/rv-makers-gone.shtml
Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
meriflower

I have not heard about Camping World going under - I hope not!

As for the Mojo, I haven't seen one in person. It is a teardrop and I would say it competes with the T@b. I would agree on the outside graphics - mystery van from Scooby Doo. :P I think I'll stick with the regular trailers from Hi-Lo! On the Mojo's website, it has more info on it than what TM has on theirs regarding the Mini - which is a link to a 4 page brochure.

If one wants to compare a Hi-Lo product to the TrailMini I would say it would be the Hi-Lo 15T, is like a mini Hi-Lo. I haven't done any true comparisons between the two models (well I have already compared Hi-Lo to TM and made the choice that was best for us).
Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Camping World is owned by FreedomRoads, LLC, which, according to Hoover, is "owned, indirectly, by Steve Adams, chairman of RV products company Affinity Group." Sounds like it is actually owned by Mr. Adams, not Affinity Group, but the "terms" link on the Camping World website says Affinity Group, Inc. runs Camping World.

If you do a brief search on Affinity Group, you will see they are having financial problems. They appear to own Good Sams Club, and a whole host of other RV related companies.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote