TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
MidwestDave

Default Bugs

We made the mistake of leaving our outside light by door on one night while we went visiting a relative near by. When we got back and opened the door we got a bunch of mosquitos inside. Grandson (7) thought it was funny seeing grandpa running around killing them. What can I say folks, it's camping!

Midwest Dave
Northwestern Illinois
Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
grlewis1

As a Florida camper, you always have to be mindful that this is a tropical state with lots of bugs. Light is always the big draw for any flying insect, so the trick is, keep lights away from the TM Door. I use hanging lights from my awning to draw them away. I have also changed out the light bulb next to the door to amber and put a poster board over the door window to block the inside light. The most active time for mosquitoes is the first 30 minutes after sunset. They settle down after that, and you can usually sit around the campfire without being attacked. Mosquito repellent containing deet also helps. Follow these simple guidelines and you can survive in the Florida campgrounds.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #13
Catawbalea

I frankly like a little air vents for the trailer. Gasses and such can escape. It is a bit like leaving the car window down just a crank (shows my age).
Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
ColoradoCple

What about cock roaches? My biggest fear. Any problems with these getting in the unit?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
BrigCA61

Outside of a few issues with "gnats" which was resolved by putting a towel over the gap, we've had no other issues that we wouldn't get in our house. We park the trailer, opened, in the driveway and have never had a bug problem with ants, spiders, rodents, cockroaches or anything else. And I live in the Sacramento Valley where we have issues with black widow spiders. That was my biggest fear...and I do check out the trailer very well for spiders before we hitch up to go camping and I've seen no spiders except one tiny web - it wasn't from a big spider. I wouldn't think it's any more of a problem than what you have at home... treat it the same way. Keep your foods in tightly sealed containers and you shouldn't have any pest problems.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #16
wwjam

Default Bugs

I was so terrified of bugs getting in when we bought our trailer. The crawling kind of bugs. Flying bugs will get if the door is open. I kept asking about bugs, and kept searching the forum for information on them. Looking for reassurance that they wouldn't be a problem. But it seems experience is the best answer.

We were camping in Eastern Oregon last summer and the place we stayed is notorious for earrigs. They are in every thing and every where outside. If you have a chair outside folded many will fall out if you open the chair, etc. Creepy!!! I hate them!!! We were there for a week and I saw only 3 in the trailer. I think they came in on stuff, or from the door being open so much. We have our trailer parked under a cover and opened, on the side of our house. I have never seen a bug inside other than what flies in when I leave the door open.

We are selling our trailer by the way. 2006 in Vancouver, WA

Jo Ann
Old 03-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
PopBeavers

I sometimes have outdoor speakers for the radio. I run the wires out the back of the fridge through the outside access door. One time the ants found the wires and invited themselves indoors. Some ant spray took care of that.

I get flying insects sometimes. Keeping the door closed when they are active and keeping the patio light by the door off helps a lot. Also do not use the light over the stove when opening the door, use a more remote light that is further from the door.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #18
PaulinCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlewis1 View Post
As a Florida camper, you always have to be mindful that this is a tropical state with lots of bugs. Light is always the big draw for any flying insect, so the trick is, keep lights away from the TM Door. I use hanging lights from my awning to draw them away. I have also changed out the light bulb next to the door to amber and put a poster board over the door window to block the inside light. The most active time for mosquitoes is the first 30 minutes after sunset. They settle down after that, and you can usually sit around the campfire without being attacked. Mosquito repellent containing deet also helps. Follow these simple guidelines and you can survive in the Florida campgrounds.
We just had a terrible experience with our 2006 2720 in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan with mosquitoes. They were numerous outside; several would land on you as soon as you stepped outside. At night with everything closed (windows, door, vents the mosquitoes were still getting in. We killed them continously inside until we thought we had them all and went to bed. In the morning, my wife was covered with welts (she's allergic to the little buggers). There were several buzzing around inside. So I did some checking. I turned on the lights inside the camper and went outside when it was dark. Light could clearly be seen at the exterior corners of the bed slides outs and along the wall seal along the wall where the bathroom is. In other campgrounds were were not bothered, but when the concentration of the mosquitoes outside is high, they will find a way in through the "holes". We've since placed clothing on the bed corners and rolled up towels along the bathroom wall seals. Also, there are "holes" near the inside corners of the front bed slide tray that are not completely covered by the mating of the two vinyl seals. A little weight placed on top at those points solves that. If we had to use this unit in places where the bugs were routinely as bad as we exerienced in MI, we would just sell it. P.S. Don't even ask our opinion of the door!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #19
Chuck C C

Sorry you had such a bad experience in the Michigan U.P. We just returned from there also and had a problem with the biting flies at the Porcupine Mountains. Inside the TM we were fine, though. I think Spring came early this year. We did manage to avoid the black flies, which was fortunate. This was our trial run with the 3327 TM and we loved it.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #20
Wingedryder

Default Bugs

Guess I'll have to tell my story here...
One of our very first campouts with the new TM in early June was at a lake in NE Colorado's prairie/farmland. Following dinner outside, and as night time arrived, we were engulfed by swarms of tiny Mayflies. We couldn't get inside quick enough! Shortly after settling in to play cards, my wife & I began noticing large black spots on the interior ceiling & walls. We had two of the up front small spot lights on, but didn't notice any flying around the lights nor dinette table we sat at. It had been warm that day, but cooled off at sunset. We quickly closed the two window we had barely open a crack, where upon closer observation I could see them freely entering thru the screens in masses!

Unable to draw them out the door, we closed the camper up tight, killed the lights, and went to bed. Bright & early, we closed up the TM and headed back home where we spent the entire rest of the day vacuuming up hundreds upon hundreds of dead & half-dead Mayflies inside. I also ended up scrubbing the roof forward of the bag seal & the seal itself of 'baked on' bodies! I vowed never to return to this campground, though pretty, however, not very full(?).

I understand Mayflies immerge from the water and breed at different times during the summer. I only knew there were fly fishing patterns simulating the little critters! - Just our less than pleasing experience with bugs & the TM.
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote