TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default American Flag In The Church

I would like you're opinion on this, I feel we could not give the flag the honor it deserves because of the Christian flag. What do you guys think.

Pam :
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Default Re:American Flag In The Church

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "the christian flag"?

jim
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Happytrails

You're absolutely right Texas, that discussion could go on forever, and has been in the past....to the present. Wars have been waged over it in fact. I'd have to honestly say the only flag that waves over me is the American Flag, that simply because it represents the freedom we ALL have no matter what religion, no matter what sex, no matter what ethnicity, sexual orientation, or whatever, it also, (and most importantly), represents tolerance for the other person to enjoy the same freedoms I myself enjoy as well as every other person in this nation. Without that tolerance, you find people like the Taliban, and the Bath parties...I've been all over the planet, London, Paris, Fiji Islands, Guam, Tinia, Australia, and Japan twice, and lived in Hawaii for three years, settled down here in Roanoke, Va where I'm from, no better place....(Hawaii was too expensive in the private sector, and almost would stay in Australia, it's a GREAT place to visit, still not sure I'd want to live there tho, all the houses are on stilts to keep the snakes out, and 9 outta the 10 most deadly live there on that contentent, as well as just about everything else, even the ants there can kill ya....litterally)........Just a few thoughts............

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 07-30-2003, 12:53 AM   #4
ColoradoCop

Couldn't agree more than with what Texas and Happy have said. Unfortunately, there has been too much emphasis put on seperation of church and state. This is my thoughts on this issue, every one has the right to choose if they belive in religion and in the United States. As has been demonstrated through the multi-million dollars spent by congress in an attempt to settle this question for the populace. If a church decides to fly the American flag then so be it. If a church decides not to fly the flag, so be it. Each citizen has the right to chose what they want. But, they should not try to impose thier predujices on other people. If we let everyone be happy with thier thought's, within the confines of the law, we would be a better group of people. Live and let live.

My $.02

ColoradoCop
Old 07-30-2003, 02:42 PM   #5
quacks

I guess I'm a little confused - it sounds as though there are people out there who don't believe the U.S. flag should be flown at a church, as they think this violates the concept of "separation of Church and State."

To me, that concept is expressed in the 1st Amendment, which prohibits Congress from making any laws "respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," along with protecting freedom of speech & assembly in general. I think this means Congress can't compel anyone to believe or disbelieve anything they choose with regard to religion, and to protects the right to practice their faith (or lack thereof) however they see fit.

I don't think this means a church can't include loyalty to the American flag and Nation as part of their beliefs, but rather that Congress can't MAKE a church fly or NOT fly a flag. Keeping the government out of church is one goal of that amendment.

On the flip side, I believe another goal of "separation of Church and State" is to keep the Church out of government, so although I think any church ought to be able to fly any flag they please, there should be no religious flags flown (literally or figuratively) by the government.

Another 2 cents, I guess! I'm sure glad we have the right to have our own opinions!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

With both flags in church, we have symbols that remind us that we need to be good christians and good citizens.

Just my 2 cents.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:36 PM   #7
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

You guys really gave some thought to this and I really appreciate it, I'm proud to be an American and proud to be a Christian and proud to be able to express that.

Pam

Now on another thought what about Bush ???
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:20 AM   #8
ColoradoCop

BriteSu, why not make it a seperate topic?

I have always felt that it really doesn't matter who is the president. The president can only work with the infomation that is provided to him. Most times, congress and senate have thier own agendas and will either override or stall on important matters if it doesn't fit into their parties program.

Lets face it, the Congressmen and Senators all have personal agendas for the gain of the people who put them in the position that they are in. The President, in most instances, is only a figure head that is bideing the will of the elected officials.

Again, my $.02

ColoradoCop
Old 08-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #9
Happytrails

Absolutely CC.......done......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 08-17-2003, 09:10 PM   #10
azroadrunner

Our Church displays both flags and that makes me proud.