TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Chief-e9

Default Fastening top half of door to bottom half

The plastic clip for fastening the top half of my 2006 2720SL entry door to the bottom half is not very sturdy plus allows the top half to not seal very well. I am also concerned someone attempting to break in will just yank on the top half of the door to easily gain entry. What is a better latch mechanism for fastening the two together? Thanks in advance. Roy
Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Scott O

Don't know what year your TM is, but our '08 has a metal latch, probably available at any hardware store.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
jhill30

this is what holds mine together
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=37380548323
Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I ahve considered installing a similar latch.

However, I noticed that the gap between the upper and lower door is not consistent. The gap when open or closed is the same. But while swinging the door, the gap gets narrower during the swing.

Depending on the type of latch, that might be a problem.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

Default retro install of the sash latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

However, I noticed that the gap between the upper and lower door is not consistent. The gap when open or closed is the same. But while swinging the door, the gap gets narrower during the swing.

I had the dealer install this type latch on my 2003 when I bought it last year. I thought it would hold the door together better. Well, yes and no. I've found that generally it does a good job, but if the trailer is a little off level, and the door halves squeeze together when it closes, the latch may allow separation. We've adapted to always close the door by holding the top half as much as possible.

I still think I like it better than the old plastic latch. Just looks sturdier!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
I had the dealer install this type latch on my 2003 when I bought it last year. I thought it would hold the door together better. Well, yes and no. I've found that generally it does a good job, but if the trailer is a little off level, and the door halves squeeze together when it closes, the latch may allow separation.
Well, as a gentleman with no experience in such matters, I look at the opposite side of the same coin. Al, you've seen your door halves want to squeeze together as the door closes. But what if your door halves want to spread apart a bit as the door closes? And you have them latched sturdily together with this door latch? Something, somewhere, has gotta give, and I don't want it to be the door hinges. If the choice is a bit of movement in the slide-able nylon latch, vs stressing the hinges to the point of breakage - well, my decision is clear.

Again, I have never experienced the problem. I'm just envisioning it ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

Wayne, I had that on my list of problems when I took my TM to the factory last year, and they installed the new style latch. I didn't make sense to me that if the door was seperating while closing that the new style latch wouldn't bind up, but the fix seemed to work great.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

As mtnguy said, it seems to work. I don't sense any binding on the door. The shells would have to be way out of alignment for there to be an issue big enough to stress the hinges, and the doors/shells have enough flex that it seems to not be a problem with the hinges. The key seems to be trailer leveling. This last trip we were on a level concrete pad and had no problems at all. I'll try a little tweaking of the jacks next time I have the issue and see it that fixes it.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
photoadjuster

I just had the factory install the new latch on my doors. It is an improvement. Please note that the window sash lock that a few have bought at the hardward store does not have the throw that the TM factory latch does. Because of leveling problems, you will need this extra throw.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If anyone installs a metal latch in place of the plastic slab that holds the door halves together, I would like to buy the plastic slab. They are no longer available from TM.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote