TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
kieranmullen

Default Painting the TM

So the 1997 unit has shown its age. Time for a pain job inside and out. There are markings on the outside of the trailer fron the swing out and I wonder if I paint it how long before it shows up again?

Does one remove the decals or paint over them? How are or how do you remove them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailmanor.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	8169  
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
MisterP

Have not painted one, but I would mask off the decals and leave them there.

Marks from the shells may indicate they are out of alignment. Might want to check before painting.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Default Magic eraser?

Those outside marks from lifting the shell can easily be removed with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, if they aren't etched thru the outer finish. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but can be completely eliminated.

Tim

2007 2720 swing tongue, 40 gal.water tank, new 15 inch tire upgrade, sink & stove cabinets ,microwave drawer, AC, and awning
TV 2003 F150 5.4L 4x4, tow package & Prodigy2
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

It also helps to keep the door top half open when you close down, and clean off the bag seals when you wash the trailer. I've been on the board for a long time and I can't recall anyone repainting the outside of their trailer, except for one I saw that was painted all black and the infamous Spiderman TM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The outside of the TM is covered with a layer called "Krystal Kote" from Valspar, the varnish people. It is kind of like clearcoat on a car. This layer is intentionally very slick, so that bugs and road grime won't stick, and will clean off easily. But unless you sand or etch the Krystal Kote, I'm not sure that paint would stick well to it, either. You might check the Valspar web site.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The outside of the TM is covered with a layer called "Krystal Kote" from Valspar, the varnish people. It is kind of like clearcoat on a car. This layer is intentionally very slick, so that bugs and road grime won't stick, and will clean off easily. But unless you sand or etch the Krystal Kote, I'm not sure that paint would stick well to it, either. You might check the Valspar web site.

Bill
Hello Bill,

Do you have any idea as to the color identification for the "Krystal Kote" used on TM's. I have a 2008 model and plan to repair a small dent with Bondo body filler. My problem is more one of matching the color and finish once the repair is made.

Do you have any idea how this "krystal Kote" can be applied - sprayed, rolled or brushed? I would imagine sprayed is by far the best.

Thank you for the help,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
clown9644

Krystal Coat is the name and you MAY be able to get it through a Lowe's as they are the distributor of that companies paint. You can also buy a "Clear Coat" in a spray can at any auto store. Your hardest job is going to be in matching the white color since there seems to be a hundred different whites out there. Good luck!