TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
mikeyy1953

Default Thetford dump valve

Has anyone had issues with the Thetford dump valve? I use only Thetford products in the toilet ands still have to replace The dump valve every 2 years at $40.00 a pop. Thetford Customer Service is useless, They have no cue on these toilets. We've gotten so good at changing them out I now can do it in 15 minutes! The valve feels like it's pushed in all the way, but it takes longer to charge and the tell-tale whoosh isn't there when you pull the toilet valve.We use our TM this past weekend and sure enough the valve was screwed up. The rubber doesn't allow the slider to close completely.

Thanks

Mikeyy1953
Old 08-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

When I push the valve closed it goes 80% of the way and then kinda clicks into place. I always wondered if it was supposed to be doing that. But, have not noticed any leaks yet.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

At least we know who to ask for directions on how to do it!!

Mines about like Bill's. Has gotten a shade stiffer since the beginning but no leakage.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
PopBeavers

Now that you mention it, I think that mine is a little stiffer to pull out than it was when it was new a year ago. I'm always nervous about the plastic T handle pulling off of the metal rod.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
2bcs1jrt

I have experienced a lack of "swoosh" a couple of times when preparing to dump. I think the valve doesn't close all the way on occasion although it looks to be closed. I have found that some Thetford drain valve lubricant helps with both the inside valve and the outside dump valve, which is often hard to close after dumping.
Cheri
Old 08-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I'm on my third dump valve gasket. The dealer has replaced it twiced. The first gasket lasted about three years and the second lasted two years. For both gaskets, he said the rubber gasket was destorted preventing the valve from sealing. He said the gasket looked like it was breaking down. One theory he had that it might be the antifreeze I'm adding during winterization. So, last winter I didn't add antifreeze to the toilet. So far the gasket is still working. Last weekend I still had the woosh sound. But it has only been a little more than a year since it was last replaced. Only time will tell if his theory is correct.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Kink in the valve

I had a kink in the valve on my toilet. Looks like something got caught between the dump valve and the seal.
Since I purchased my TM used last year, I have no idea how old the valve is. I replaced it and it works great. When I replaced it, the seal looked good except for the kink. That was where mine was leaking.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default No swoosh no solids OK??

Questions for you who have replaced the valve at the base of the Thetford. Based on your observations of the layout of the valve in relation to the pipe leading to the external valve, does it matter if the Thetford's valve does not close if the Thetford is being used solely for liquids and paper? Could the pipe leading to the external valve get filled when charging the Thetford with water and chemicals, remain undisturbed when the Thetford is flushed, and thus form a "valve" (sort-of)? I have no idea if solids could find their way down to the pipe before they were macerated by the Thetford.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
mikeyy1953

Rick,
Your dealer is right the gasket gets distorted, but NOT from using antifreeze-I never use it in the toilet. It seems like the gasket is a bad design especially after a few years of use. At first I thought it was because we had our TM set up at a park with the toilet charged..That wasn't the problem.Thetford as I stated earlier has no clue on the issue.

Good Luck Hopefully this gasket will last longer.

Mike
Old 08-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
miachia

What exactly are you guys talking about? The reason I am asking is we have had some issues with a leaking toilet. We found out the toilet was not down correctly and fixed that no leaks on our way to Big Bear, saran wrap over the bowl to prevent water from coming out. On our way home not a lot of leaking just enough coming from under the toilet to make the carpet in front of the door quite damp. It did not spill from the bowl! BUT from the base of the toilet. Can anyone help?