TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
DIA-GRL

Talking Snaps on the vinyl flaps

I went to an upholstery shop and bought the kind of snaps that used to be used on convertible top covers. You screw one end into the wall (the wall being 1" thick) and pop-rivet the other part onto the vinyl flap. My son did this for me (he put some silicon on the screw end for added security). He placed the snaps about every 18". I am very pleased with the outcome... it looks much better than the velcro strips and are very secure. The first pic shows the flap Open.. the second pic shows it snap closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapClosed.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	959   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapOpened.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	960  
Old 02-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
BobRederick

DIA-

Could you be more specific, please? I am not aware of what us used on a convertible top cover. I think you are saying that you hold the vinyl flaps against the wall with snaps where half the snap is attached to the wall with a screw and the mating half pop riveted to the vinyl. That sounds secure and sufficient but I don't picture pop-riveting to vinyl. Is there maybe a washer on one side of the vinyl and the mating snap on the other side with a pop rivet holding them together? Seems the pop rivet would stick out and interfere with appearance or closure of the flap.

I also picture you are using the OEM velcro to hold the vinyl flaps down when the camper is setup for occupancy. Is this correct?

If that is what you are describing, I might add that a great way to keep the snaps working like new is to rub a little candle wax inside the female part maybe once a year or at least whenever they get hard to snap either on or off. I keep a 6 inch section of an old candle in the camper just for lubrication purposes. It was a life saver in the Coleman where I would frequently lube the many feet of zippers to keep them working easily and extend their life.

At any rate, I would like to see a photo of this setup if possible.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
TexasThunder

My old 3326 has snaps along with the velcro. They work okay, sometimes one will get a little stubborn, looks like they have been on there awhile. Using the wax to ease stubborness sounds good. My TM was purchased pre-owned so I thought all TMs had snaps.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
DIA-GRL

Default Pic of Snaps

I took a couple of pics of the snaps holding the vinyl flap to the wall, but I don't know how to insert a pic here. Can you let me know how to do that, and I'll be happy to post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick
DIA-

Could you be more specific, please? I am not aware of what us used on a convertible top cover. I think you are saying that you hold the vinyl flaps against the wall with snaps where half the snap is attached to the wall with a screw and the mating half pop riveted to the vinyl. That sounds secure and sufficient but I don't picture pop-riveting to vinyl. Is there maybe a washer on one side of the vinyl and the mating snap on the other side with a pop rivet holding them together? Seems the pop rivet would stick out and interfere with appearance or closure of the flap.

I also picture you are using the OEM velcro to hold the vinyl flaps down when the camper is setup for occupancy. Is this correct?

If that is what you are describing, I might add that a great way to keep the snaps working like new is to rub a little candle wax inside the female part maybe once a year or at least whenever they get hard to snap either on or off. I keep a 6 inch section of an old candle in the camper just for lubrication purposes. It was a life saver in the Coleman where I would frequently lube the many feet of zippers to keep them working easily and extend their life.

At any rate, I would like to see a photo of this setup if possible.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
TexasThunder

Here is a far away view, maybe it will do till a close up gets posted.

To post image file: Click Manage attachments, then Browse, then Upload. You never "see" pic, but its there after you submit.

Here is a more complete set of instructions
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2505
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snaps.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	961  
Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
DIA-GRL

Default Snaps

Thank you for your help in posting pics.. and I looked at the pic you posted with the snap on vinyl.. I think we have great minds!... the snaps are working out great. I edited my original message and posted my pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasThunder
Here is a far away view, maybe it will do till a close up gets posted.

To post image file: Click Manage attachments, then Browse, then Upload. You never "see" pic, but its there after you submit.

Here is a more complete set of instructions
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2505