TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
randyveach

Default Help, I can't close my top

After we got home from a campout, about a month ago, we tried to put up our TM3023, but had a real hard time. Upon close inspection, the bracket in the back that has about four screws in it, and holds the rods that help you get the back half up and down, was all bent and twisted. The screws holding the bracket in place had pulled out of the floor, and the entire back half had moved to the right about 1/2 inch. We took the TM3023 to Explorer USA and they said they would have no problem in fixing it (a piece of cake). They said that the reason for failure was due to rotton wood from underneath the unit (this was great as our insurance covered the fix). It took about 30 days for Explorer USA to get a new bracket from Trailmanor and fix the problem. About a week ago we headed up to Albuquerque for the annual balloon event. We were going to stay at Ceder Crest Campgrounds, and when we tried to set up the TM3023, I couldn't get it up. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the bracket was again bent and the screws had pulled out of the wood, on the original fix. I called the insurance company and got a recording message saying to call Explorer USA. I then called Exploer USA and they said to tow it back and they would fix it. I told them the two halfs were NOT locked down and they said to strap it down the best I could; they would assume all liability. Now for my questions.

1. Can this type of problem be fixed, or will this failure come back?

2. Will towing the camper back, with the units not locked down, cause additional problems that I should be aware of?

By the way, the people at Cedar Crest in New Mexico were GREAT. They let me store my TM at their location for $5 per day, plus refunded the money I paid them for a 5 day stay, without ANY hassle.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Freedom

Several people on this forum have replaced the wood with square aluminum tubing. search for those posts and there's a lot of information about it.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
randyveach

Default Thanks, but I still need some help

Jim,

Thanks for responding, but I'm not sure that helps me. I took your advice and did a search on "square aluminum tubing" (three hits), but was unable to find the answers to my questions. The repair that Explorer USA made was a new piece of wood was replaced on the floor (underneath) of the TM3023 and a new bracket screwed into it. The rods going underneath to the other side of the TM were then re-inserted. Over that piece of wood was a piece of thin metal and all of that was sealed so that water would not eventually rot the wood. I'm trying to figure out why that didn't work. I don't want to go on another camping trip and have this happen all over again.
Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

It sounds like there is much more reinforcement needed where the brackets screw in. From what I recall (not having been under the TM in a while, we were outside working on it this weekend, but didn't crawl underneath) there are some length-long metal beams underneath there that you could secure another piece of sturdy metal to, if you need to.

If there's that much tweaking when the shells go up and down, perhaps the tension is way out of adjustment?

Got pics?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
randyveach

Default I will get pictures

Janie and I are in Colorado tonight, but plan to pic up the TM3023 tomorrow. I will take pictures and tomorrow night if I can get on WIFI will send them to you. Thanks for taking out the time to reply.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
drehak

I seem to remember that Trailmanors offer a lifetime warranty on the lift system. Why dont you call them and advise of your problem