TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
gerrym51

Default Different air conditioner - Coleman Mach vs Cub

Has anyone ever gotten trailmanor to install a different roof air conditioner.

I'm thinking specifially of the coleman polar cub 9200.

It will run on a honda or yamaha 2000. It is very efficient and should cool

most trailmanors very well.

I have sent trailmanor an e-mail and am awaiting a response..

gerry
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
tdepouw

The spec. sheet from Airxcel-RV Products site shows it to be the same dimensions. I'm looking into this also because the current unit fan pushes so much air we have to hang curtains and it is so loud. The compressor will have to run more because it is rated 9200 btu and the other is 13500-15000 depending on the unit, but it would be nice to be able to run on a generator if needed.

The tech at RVP says they are the same size, that it is quieter and the amp draw is 9.0 on high. You can find them for $600 +- on the internet. The tech at my local Camping World said they are the same in noise level, so I'm trying to find a dealer that uses this size unit that I can check out.
The Polar Mach 13,500 BTU that I have has trouble maintaining 78 in my driveway in the brutal sun here in Naples FL.(temp of 94 degrees, feels like 105) but I think the smaller unit will work when I'm in a park under the shade of trees.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
chowder1974

Default Which AC Unit Polar Mach or Polar Cub

I need help deciding on which AC unit.

The dealer I'm working with contacted Trailmanor and they are willing to swap the standard AC unit which i believe is the Polar Mach for the Polar Cub.

My reason for doing this would be that the Polar Cub uses less power. Would my Honda 2000 Generator run the Polar Cub? It appears that the answer is yes per some searching on google. It looks like they are mostly used on truck campers though.

Would the 9,000 btu be sufficient for cooling? I have no prior experience with air conditioning units.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
chowder1974

Did either of you try the polar cub? Trailmanor seems willing to install it on a new unit for me per my request to the dealer and their conversation with trail manor.

I live in the pacific northwest so won't be using it much and most of the time we're dealing with dry heat and not the humidity of the south.

I'm wondering how they'll work with the Honda 2000 Generator and if they'll cool sufficiently
Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Chowder -

Not a bad idea. According to the web site, the Cub vs the Mach reduces cooling from 13,500 BTUs to 9200 BTU's, full load amps from 15.5 to 8.9, and running watts from 1650 to 1000.

If this is enough cooling for you, a Honda 2000 would probably be a great choice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I am impressed that the TrailManor factory is accommodating in this regard given the special handling they will have to do in order to not use an AC unit from their inventory and the added risk that the installation is not exactly the same as the units they normally use. That's a good thing for the customer.

If the AC unit of lower capacity is not subjected to the demands of higher heat and humidity, then it will work just dandy. If the capacity of the AC unit can't keep up with the heat load, it stands a chance of not cycling when it needs to and it will tend to freeze up.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Tampajohn

Default Champion 200w generator would not power ac

I tried using my Champion 2000W generator. Only 53 db to power my Mack and it kicked out on overload. I turned off all breakers, except air and it would not run. Think I am going to have to buy another one and parallel them together. Bummer
Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Rio Dan

The issue with all the standard RV A/Cs out there, whether 9kbtu or 15kbtu, is not the FLA (full load amps or running amps). It's the LRA, locked rotor amps or starting amps. LRA can be as much as five times the FLA. If it takes more than a second for the compressor motor to start it's going to trip a 20 amp supply circuit (EU2000 Honda generator or a 20 amp house circuit) or stall the compressor.

Sometimes it might start but it's not going to be reliable and it will overheat the compressor. Enough of that and there can be permanant damage.

Untill someone makes an inverter driven unit for an RV application you're going to need 30 amps.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Before you buy another generator, search this board for something called a "hard start capacitor" kit. Not magic, but it helps, is inexpensive, easy to install, and it has helped a number of our members. With a smaller airco, you have a good chance that it will do you some good.

By the way, this is a real approach to a solution, not some Internet LQQK!!!! 300-mpg magic carburetor device.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
moaboy

I've run mine on a 20 amp house circuit and the compressor kicked on just fine. I made sure the fan and compressor did not kick on at the same time and would not make a habit of it. Plus I am at a low elevation.