TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
JERR_C

Angry Refrigerator

I just purchased a TM and can not get the frige to work, tried electric from my house with no luck, tried to get it to work using the gas, but no luck, I am thinking about just buying a small frige that works only on electic, my problem is I have no idea how to remove the refrigerator that is in the TM now, can anyone help me with this.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Maybe the breaker is off in the panel by the back bed!!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
PopBeavers

You should be able to verify that the propane setting is working correctly because the red line indicator will move up into the green zone and it should remain there.

I normally light the stove first to purge air out of the line.Then turn stove off.

Then start water heater on gas (be sure you have water in the tank). This is to purge air out of the gas line on the other side of the TM. I have stove on one side, water heater and fridge on the other.

Then light the fridge.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

When we first bought our TM we thought the refrigerator didn't work...we weren't able to pre-cool it and we were in 100 degree weather coming home from where we purchased it. It really does need a LONG time to get going when it's hot, and perhaps even longer when it hasn't been used for a while. Try it on AC for 24 hours, check the fuses, and let us know if it cools down.
Have you tried plugging it in directly into your house AC vs. through the TM wiring? What year is your TM?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Asking the obvious: Is the TM level? A gas absorption unit must be level within a few degrees to work.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Bill & Lisa

Jerry,
have you tried all three settings (AC, DC, and propane)?
Have you checked breakers and or fuses?
Is the gas turned on?
While it does take 24 hours to cool down the inside a quicker way to verify your fridge is working is to remove the outside cover and put your hand on or near the cooling fins. These should "warm up" within the first 30 minutes or less as the unit begins to exchange heat.

Did it work during your delivery inspection?

Final question, where in the country are you? There maybe someone here on the forum that lives close that would be willing to pop over and give you a hand. I am assuming the dealer is too far away to easily pop by and have them check it out.

Bill
Old 05-27-2006, 12:53 AM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Do you have the manual to the frig? If you don't, I have one for my '97 that is probably the same as yours (Dometic?). I don't think it's too many pages to scan.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
John Kelly

Jerry,
When I picked up my used 2004, 3023 I think the frig. worked on gas but everything was so new I'm not sure. When I got home (600 miles later) it wouldn't work on propane. Took it to a dealer who replaced the thermocouple. When I got back home (30 miles) it worked but when I took it on my first trip (150 miles) it wouldn't work on gas. After checking the forums, Carver, post dates 6-3-05 & 6-14-05 said to jiggle the wires. Here is what I did. Take the top outside vent cover off behind the frig. There is a thin sheet-metal strip held by 3 screws (probably a heat barrier) separating the insulation from the wires. I took this off reached under the insulation on top of the fridge and wiggled all the wires I could reach. Sounds crazy but it works. I think when the shell rests on the fridge during traveling it loosens the wires. Carver states there is a Norcold service kit that will correct this problem. I haven't gone this rt. yet. Hope this helps. Took me a long time to get gas working.

John Kelly
Old 05-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
hingarfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kelly
Jerry,
When I picked up my used 2004, 3023 I think the frig. worked on gas but everything was so new I'm not sure. When I got home (600 miles later) it wouldn't work on propane. Took it to a dealer who replaced the thermocouple. When I got back home (30 miles) it worked but when I took it on my first trip (150 miles) it wouldn't work on gas. After checking the forums, Carver, post dates 6-3-05 & 6-14-05 said to jiggle the wires. Here is what I did. Take the top outside vent cover off behind the frig. There is a thin sheet-metal strip held by 3 screws (probably a heat barrier) separating the insulation from the wires. I took this off reached under the insulation on top of the fridge and wiggled all the wires I could reach. Sounds crazy but it works. I think when the shell rests on the fridge during traveling it loosens the wires. Carver states there is a Norcold service kit that will correct this problem. I haven't gone this rt. yet. Hope this helps. Took me a long time to get gas working.

John Kelly
John:
I have a 2004 3023 and have suffered the same refrigerator propane problem. There is a mod kit consisting of two wires BLUE/RED. (Norcold Refrigerator: Service Kit PN=628119) MY guess is the kit has tighter slide on connectors. I installed this kit recently. The refrigerator worked fine after installation, but I have not had an extended trip to verify that the problem has been solved permanently. I did suffer though 5000 mile 5 week trip last fall. Had to slide the BLUE/RED wire connectors on/off (to scrape the connections) about once a week to keep the unit working on propane. Apparently the thermocouple has 15-30 mV output and any resistance in the connectors causes the failure.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
JERR_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D
When we first bought our TM we thought the refrigerator didn't work...we weren't able to pre-cool it and we were in 100 degree weather coming home from where we purchased it. It really does need a LONG time to get going when it's hot, and perhaps even longer when it hasn't been used for a while. Try it on AC for 24 hours, check the fuses, and let us know if it cools down.
Have you tried plugging it in directly into your house AC vs. through the TM wiring? What year is your TM?
Thanks for the info, I have the frige hook directly to house current, have left it on for 24 hrs at a time, but no luck so far..I have a 1997 3124TM and a 1999 dodge durango to pull it with, but I know that the frige has not been working for at least 6 months.

Jerry