TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
mbd4kids

Default tires-frame

I'm not sure what thread to list this question under. I want to purchase new tires for our 1999 3023. It has ST 215/75R14 tires currently, but does have a lift kit. I would like to upgrade to 15" tires, but it appears that I only have kess than ~1/2 an inch behind the back of the passenger side tire and what appears to be frame. The other side has just under an inch between tire and frame. Could I possibly fit a 15" tire? Not sure why they don't appear even. We purchased used, and although we haven't had problems, think extra weight capacities are good since there are 6 of us and our "stuff" to weigh it down.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

It sounds like your axle is attached to the frame unevenly, just like mine was. Check out this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6078

First of all, does this matter? Well, I'm not sure. Does your trailer track slightly to the side? If so, it could contribute to uneven tire wear, and maybe even generate excess heat, which can contribute to tire blowouts. I've had 3 blowouts -- one can easily be excused to age, as the tire was 7 years old. Blowouts 2 & 3, which happened within a day of each other, were only 3 years old, but happened in extreme heat (95+ degrees in screaming SoCal sun). So whether or not the misaligned frame had anything to do with it, I don't know, and I don't think that can be determined with certainty from my case. But I didn't like it, so while at the factory last summer, I had it fixed, but at my expense. I did not have a satisfactory experience in doing so, but the job is done.

Second, that thread above has pictures of my tires when I had 14" wheels, and as you can see, I had very little clearance between the curb side wheel and the frame member protruding outwards towards the side of the trailer. I have since upgraded to 15" wheels, and for the most part, the only thing I had to do was add the lift kit (which was already done anyway). In post #16 of this thread (http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ht=axle&page=2) you can see the 15" wheels, although the pics don't show the clearance with that same part of the frame. I can take a picture of it if you'd like, or at least measure that gap. But looking at the 14" pics, it looks like I had more than 1/2" of clearance -- looks like maybe 1".

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
mbd4kids

Dave,
Thanks for your input. I thought I had read that somewhere, and I'm guessing it was from you. Now the question to deal with...do I worry about the obviously uneven axel ( it really doesn't seem to pull funny and the tires seem fine, just old) or let it be?

I was hoping to move to 15" wheels for the weight, but am afraid of a whole new can of worms. I really don't think a 15" tire will fit. In fact, because of the closeness between tire and frame, I actually thought the previous owner went to 15" rims. We use the trailer for a couple of short trips (<3 hours from home) and usually 1 long trip (up to 12 hrs each way) each year. We are on the east coast.

Maybe I just need to get it to the mechanic to decide. Unfortunately we are too far from the factory for an easy check-up, and although we do have a dealer nearby, they are notoriously very high priced. uugghh.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

As far as the axle goes, I think I would just leave it alone unless 1) you see uneven tire wear; and 2) you've been experiencing excessive blowouts. While the axle may contribute to both of those problems, it may not be bad enough to cause an issue you have to deal with.

If you only have 1/2" of clearance with your 14" wheels, and don't plan to move the axle, then I agree, you have to be very careful in tire selection. A 1" increase in diameter over whatever you have now will suck up that 1/2". But that doesn't necessarily mean you can't get a heavier rated tire, or even 15" wheels. The wheel size is not the critical factor for you - the tire size is.

Are your existing tires Goodyear Marathons?

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I don't believe you have to go to 15" tires.
I post this every so often.
I have used light truck tires on my TM for over four years. I had two blowouts with ST tires before I changed. I bought Cooper tires last time. The dealer said they were a commercial type light truck tire. They were 195R14C, Load Range D 106/104Q with a load rating of 2095 lbs at 65 PSIG. I keep them at 65 PSIG. They are not TT tires however but I have had no problem with them. Ive had them for over four years. They fit and worked very well on my 98 3023 while on four extended trips. One trip to Grand Teton NP (4,500 miles) from southern Indiana. One trip to Alaska (10,000 miles) from southern Indiana. One trip to Carlsbad Caverns (4,000 miles) from southern Indiana. One trip to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Mesa Verde (5,000 miles) from southern Indiana. Another trip to Yellowstone (5000 miles). I believe it is very important to have your TM tires balanced and to weigh your TM every time before you take a long trip. I keep the weight on the tires to less than 3700 pounds so the axle rating of 3500 pounds is not exceeded. I never had a problem with the LT tires.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
mbd4kids

Thanks for the input. My current tires are Maxxis, which seem to be quite popular. I did discuss options with a local garage and they are doing some research for me. (tire sizes and ratings if I go up to 15" rims). My thought is that if it's going to be super expensive to make the change it might not be worth it since they may not clear the frame anyway. Hope I don't regret that thought!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
retiredgoat

Default LT tires

Hi Mbd4kids,

If you want a quick check of alignment take a small wire or string and go from the left wheel spindle to the front and around the ball hitch/receiver and back to the right spindle and measure each side "receiver to spindle" and you'll have a close estimate of your axle alignment.

I'm running the LT / trailer tires 14" (check signature) like Frenchy and have had great success so far over 4 years. I looked at all kinds of trailers big and small, long and tall and these fit the bill for me. Note I get a handful of different responses but I've (knock on wood) never had any blowout / pluming issues.

Good luck and have a great camping season.

Bob
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
RogerR

There is a detailed explanation of ST vs light truck tires at

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=2355013

It was published in 2009 and seems to have a complete explanation of the differences.

The author concluded that the correct size light truck tire can replace a trailer tire.

After 4 blowouts on my old 2720sl, all at speeds over 65 but with proper inflation, balancing, etc. I concluded my major blowout problem for me was the tendancy to go with the trafic at 70 or 75 mph. I now set the cruise at 65 and use all my attention to the trafic and conditions for safe driving.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

mb4kids - Your 215 75/R14 Maxxis tires are 26.7" in diameter, according to Maxxis' website. They have a weight capacity of 1,870 lbs each.

According to Tirerack.com, the Kumho Radial 857 trailer tire in size 195 R14 has a diameter of 26.2", so that's actually 1/2" smaller in diameter than your existing tire. But it has a weight capacity of 2,094 lbs. That gives your tires an extra 450+ lbs carrying capacity across both wheels, which I think is significant increase.

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
mbd4kids

Wow! Thank you!

Tags
frame, tires