TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
tarudy

Default which microwave to buy?

So now that I bought a TM and it didn't come with a microwave, I think I should get one. I feel reluctant to use the propane up on things that could be heated or cooked in the microwave. I just don't treasure having to exchange the propane tanks all the time... I am wondering if anyone has bought a microwave that is small and light weight yet has enough watts to work well. Would you mind sharing your make and model with me before I run out and buy one?

Thank you so much!
Trudy
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
MisterP

IMO, you should go to your appliance store and pick up a few microwaves. Wattage equals cooking speed, and there won't be much difference. But higher wattage units can be much larger and heavier.

We are still using the convection microwave that came with my unit when we bought it. I am getting a lot closer to giving it away and buying a smaller one. The sucker is heavy.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

We bought a Hamilton Beach at Wal Mart and its relatively light and works well! I store the glass turn table in a drawer between clothes!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
tarudy

MisterP,

I went to Walmart tonight and picked up a bunch of them as instructed and realized that they are all much heavier than I thought. Now the propane stove is starting to look a little better to me. Thanks for the guidance.

Trudy
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We don't have a microwave because we do so much dry camping. We cook all our meals with propane and it does not use much. During the none heating season, we maybe use 1 - 20 lb tank for hot water and cooking and leave the hot water tank on 24/7 when camping 20 plus days during that season.

FYI If you exchange your propane tank, you only get a 3/4 full tank (15 lbs of propane compared to 20 lbs). Propane re-filler fill to 20 lbs. Something to do with DOT and the number of full 20 lbs tanks that can be transported force the exchange people to limit the propane to 15 lbs. Check it out read the fine print on the sign at the exchange location it will say 15 lbs.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
snip

FYI If you exchange your propane tank, you only get a 3/4 full tank (15 lbs of propane compared to 20 lbs). Propane re-filler fill to 20 lbs. Something to do with DOT and the number of full 20 lbs tanks that can be transported force the exchange people to limit the propane to 15 lbs. Check it out read the fine print on the sign at the exchange location it will say 15 lbs.
This may be true for vertical tanks, but there is no exchange program for those of us with horizontal tanks. Also, all tanks are only filled to about 80 percent liquid, to allow space for expansion with temperature changes. But a 20 lb tank should be filled with 20 lb of propane, about 4.7 gallons, if completely empty. That equals the 80 percent liquid volume.

Edit: just read an article where the author claims the 15 lb placed in exchange tanks started when propane prices rose, and people didn't want to pay more for the exchange. So they reduced the amount of propane. If this is true, they won't go back to 20 lb if propane prices fall, I'm pretty sure. I doubt very much there is a DOT limit on cylinder weights to 15 lb. Think about it, they carry 6000 gallons in pressurized bulk tanks on the road.