TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
DRanger

Default Wires pulled out of breakaway switch

I'm having an issue on my brand new '20 2720.

The wires going into my breakaway switch housing were pulled out when I last opened my swing-away tongue. (I think they got caught up on my WDH attachments.)

I decided that since they were exposed it would be easy to test emergency braking operation by touching the now exposed ends together. When I do this I do not observe anything happening at the brakes. I've measured my battery voltage at the terminals and it is showing a healthy 12.5v so it is not due to a depleted battery.

I have tested braking function while hooked to my vehicle since this happened and I have not observed any issues there. (Except that it has always felt a little soft to me -- and I am glad to read that this appears to be at least a somewhat common issue.)

There's some good info in this thread that can help me maybe with some additional clarification:

My read of the wiring diagram included with the breakaway switch is that I shouldn't see any voltage between these two wires as the switch simply just connects positive batt to brake line hot. I think I'd only see a voltage if I measured between one of these (whichever is coming from the battery) and the brake ground line. Does that sound right?

Volt meters with loop function were mentioned to help diagnose. Any recommendations on a brand or model?

A complication I observed for diagnosing this is that I found that the wires coming from the breakaway switch run along the frame but then turn 90 degrees up into the trailer somewhere in the vicinity of behind the refrigerator. Then there are other wires coming back out of that area to the brakes. I'm hoping this is actually under the sink but not sure yet.

A complete brake assembly for TMs was mentioned as well. Any names/makes/models on that assembly?

The nearest TM dealer is a 3hr drive. If I end up going to the shop with it I am not inclined to drive it that far. I'm curious if anyone reading this has had experience taking their TM into a non-TM shop. Any issues/problems encountered doing this, least of all because of the uniqueness of TMs?
DRanger is offline   Reply With Quote