TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
victor310

Default sewer connection

Hi guys: Could one of you be so kind as tokind of walk me trough hooking up to a sewer connection, never done it before anand i rather sound dum for asking than waiting till we get to the campground. I retired in June and we are beginning to really give the TM some use, but have never camped with full hookup till now. Thanks again
Old 10-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

You can "hook up" to sewer but you can't use it in the traditional way. You keep your valves closed so you have water in the holding tank. Then you dump periodically and recharge with 3 gal of water. I assume you have used your recirculationg toilet and dumped your black water before. The only "hooking up" you are really doing is keeping the sewer hose connected to the drain pipe and dump line so all you have to do is pull the valve beneath the toilet and then the outside black water valve to drain. Then close the black water valve and open the gray water valve to empty that. Then close that valve and go inside, close the valve beneath the toilet and recharge. That's all.
Cheri
Old 10-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We bought one of these (it's actually 2 parts)

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=2399&src=SRQB

and think it works pretty well.

I have read that you shouldn't leave your grey water tank valve open because (1) sewer gases can make their way into your plumbing system and (2) you need some grey water in the holding tank in order to wash out the hose when you empty your toilet black water.

We still have one person hold the end (or put their foot on it) that goes into the campground sewer outlet when we dump because there's always the chance that the hose will "kick" when you open the valve and cause the connection to become undone. We always double check the hose connection on the TM outlet before we pull the drains (this extra step was implemented after one bad experience ).

Have fun with your TM!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Always drain toilet (black water) first. The gray water will rinse out the black stuff.

When pulling the valves, pull slowly at first, just incase there is a hole in the sewer hose that you didn't know was there, or the hose separates from the fittings. This allows for small messes instead of big messes.

If you have sewer connections at the campsite, don't leave everything open because you will smell the gases. Just dump as necessary. Then close the both valves. If the sewer host fits into the park connection tightly enough, then I just leave it there. But I only have a campsite with connections once a year.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Magdefrau

Sewer Kit: A length of sewer hose ten feet long
Trailor end connector
Park sewer pipe conector
Two clamps to hold connectors to hose
Some connectors have a built in clamp

The Trailer connector twists onto the TM's sewer pipe with a half turn after you have removed it's cap.
The park sewer pipe connector can either press or screw into the park's sewer pipe. Most state law requires a tight fit.
The hose fits onto the connector, a clamp is required to make a water tight fit.
Now you have the hose conected to your TM and the Parks sewer pipe.
All connections should be tight. We donot want any drips or connector and hoses coming apart. It's happen to me. It is messy. So, Using common horse sense check all connection for tightness.

Use some type of devise to create a down hill angle in your hose. Once I had rocks and fire wood under my hose. Another time I tied my hose to a stick. I now use a thing from the store that unfolds like a ramp that works very well. Buy one, you can thank me latter.

Follow the other fellows instruction.

I drain my toliet, large pipe pull valve, black water, after breakfast and refill the toliet for the new day. Then I drain the, sink/shower, small pipe pull valve, grey water. This rinses black water out of the hose. If we spend a lot of time at the camper during the day I would do this after dinner too.

I have purchased a ten gallon portible blue waste water tank. It will hold one toliet change, or the shower water of one teen age girl. It is heavy but at 46 years old I can lift it into the back of the van and take it to the dump station. I have made a hose to drain into the dump station opening. It is not possible to just pour the container out into the dump station pipe's opening. This all takes time and it is easier to camp in a full hook up site. But, when I can't, this ten gallon jug works well. I have seem folks use the bigger ones and seem to do fine. I saw the small one as cost and space effective. But I spend three to four times more time carring waste to the dump station. I do this as we go to and from the camp site all day.

I also have a eight gallon water jug I carry water to the TM at sites that do not have water. I have a funnel that fits the TM's water hole. This is hard and I am looking for a pump to transferr water from the water jug to the TM, At 46 yrs old my bones will not last long pouring a eight goolan jug.

I have just unfolded and taken the rig to the dump station folded open and dumped waste and refilled the water tank. Well, that is a lot of work.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

I highly recommend one of these http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...rs/prodID=3709.

You can watch what is coming out of your holding tanks (or recirc toilet) and the gray tank to verify when it is empty, and whether you want to flush clean water through again to clean the tank(s).

The best information given above is (1) keep all your valves closed until you are ready to dump, (2) dump the black tank first, (3) dump the gray tank last.

Happy trails.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Be aware that if you need to dump on the way home, before you close down the TM pull the valve handle at the bottom of the toilet. Stuff won't go very far because the outside valve should still be closed. Then you can dump without opening the TM.

Because we mostly camp at forest service campgrounds I am lucky if they have a dump station at the entrance to the campground.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Bill & Lisa

We use a clear insert piece similar to the one found here: (our doesn't have a bend in it though)

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...e/skunum=14496

(may have to cut and paste since it is too long to show up as a link and I am too lazy to go to tiny url's to get a small one.

The valve the water hose attaches to is a 3 way (off, tank, hose). We attached a quick connect fitting to it so I can quickly remove the hose from you water filter (hooked inline to my TM city water connection) and attach to this connector to rinse everything while connected.

Bill
Old 10-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I've seen some campgrounds that require this

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...96%20:src=SRQB

a foam rubber sewer seal

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote