TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 AM   #21
rockerga

Great! The wife and I like fresh air so I would assume then a crack in the window with the heater going and the A/C on "fan only" should keep us toasty and with the crack in the window alleviate excess condensation. As one of our initial purchases we are considering buying one of the "Maxxair" power vent fan covers so we would have good ventilation whatever the weather. Any news scoop on these??? Sounds even more like a neccessity from listening to these boards regarding the "air-tight" TM. The "saving" of propane is a consideration of course but for weight and safety (I never liked space heaters) coupled with only 2 - 4 day camp-outs to begin I believe we'll just use the propane we have to learn how long it will last as we go. In longer overnight winter travels (Will be Winter 2006 before we can do that) we'll know the duration of the propane from our usage this winter and weigh the value from that versus a "safe" space heater.

Thanks again as usual for your great experience helping us "newbies."
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #22
Bill & Lisa

I will not repeat the comments in the reply I posted to your new thread on the maxx air vent covers but let me add that if you haven't looked at "space heaters" in a while you will find that they have drastically changed. Today's ceramic heaters are inexpensive (~$20), small (8"or less per side) and light weight (3-4 lbs). The are inherantly safer than the old glowing metal strip heaters. Your local Walmart will have 8-9 models to chose from.
Bill
Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #23
rockerga

Thanks! No I have not looked at them for ages, but thanks to the education(s) I am receiving here I will go look now!

Thanks again for all your assistance to a "newbie." In addition I will utilize the "search" better before I stir old subjects up! I PROMISE!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #24
Bill & Lisa

Not a problem. There is a TON of info here. I just wanted to let you know I addressed the other parts of your post in a different reply
Old 12-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #25
Senorsedona

Red face Snow & TM

First off, I agree with G-V Driver, Not even the thought of snow in my TM.

Small cube electric heaters do a great job, also when it is REALLY cold a Mr Heater does fantastic.

The silver window covers were probably the foil with plastic air pockets sandwiched between layers of foil. I have them for all my windows. They do a excellent job in the summer and equally well in the cold. Not dualtherm, but it does the job. And is much lighter & cheaper.

See you below the snow line.........

Jack
Old 12-18-2005, 07:06 AM   #26
BobRederick

Has anyone found a good carbon monoxide sensor or oxygen sensor that would warn the user if levels become unsafe?

I am thinking of those who recommend the Mr Heater as well as use of the cook stove or a coleman type gas lantern. All put off carbon monoxide (lethal) except the Mr Heater which has a more complete form of combustion giving off carbon dioxide (harmless). All of these devices use room oxygen to burn propane and that in itself is a problem.

I have had many occasions in the Coleman tent camper where the cook stove or the lantern would give me a light-headed feeling when camping at altitude. This happens soon after lighting the device. I never know just how far to open a flap to let fresh air in and am hoping a sensor might make this more safe. Any good user experiences with one of these sensor devices out there or possible recommendations?