TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-17-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
wwjam

Default What if TM is in an ice storm

Hi Everyone... Merry Christmas

I was wondering about our TM if we have an ice storm. Will it cause any harm to it? We are supposed to get freezing rain this weekend, and we have not had a chance to get it covered, or have our garage ready for it yet. Two years ago we had at least a foot of snow followed by an ice storm. The snow and ice were here to stay for over a week. I doubt that would happen again, but I'm concerned about the trailer being exposed. I doubt that we can get a cover for it by the time it starts raining.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:56 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As long as the TM is closed, I think you are good - it is pretty sturdy. If it is open, I might be concerned, though I have no hard info. I doubt that you could accumulate more than a couple hundred pounds of ice, which isn't much.

A more dangerous situation would be a lot of snow, followed by a lot of cold rain. The rain soaks into the snow like a sponge instead of running off, and it is pretty heavy. This is what collapses house roofs in Maine on occasion, though I suspect that a closed TM is a lot stronger than some of the flat roofs in rural Maine. The solution,of course, is to brush the snow off the roof before the rain starts. The same ought to apply when ice is coming - if there is a lot of snow, brush it off the roof before the rain/ice arrives. You don't have to do a perfect job - just push most of it off with a push-broom or even a leaf-blower. Or throw a tarp over the roof before the snow starts, then pull the tarp off the roof to clean it.

Of course, you have drained the water system, right?

Bottom line, I don't think you are in any danger.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
wwjam

Default Thanks Bill

Hi... Thank you for the information. We do keep our trailer up because the dealer had told us it was better to do that. Today we went to Costco and they had a carport type of cover that had just come in, at a reasonable price, so we are going to put that over our trailer. It even encloses completely as an option, like a tent. Seems like it would do a good job at protecting the TM. Hopefully!

Thank you,
Jo Ann
Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
wwjam

Yes, they winterized it at the dealership a couple of weeks ago.

Jo Ann