TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
OffToDaRaces

Default Generator uses

I recently purchased a Honda EU2000i Companion generator. I already have a standard model EU2000i that I have used for several years and I am quite pleased with. Since purchasing a previously owned TM 2720 I discovered that the single 2000 watt generator is not capable of running the A/C when anything else is running. Hence, the Companion generator.

The owners manual for the generators gives alot of information about the units, but very little about actually using them in parallel.

My questions deal with that parallel operation. Namely: If I have the two units connected in parallel, with TM power cord attached to the "Twist Loc" 30a socket on the Companion generator. Is it necessary to shut them both down and restart one when A/C is not going to be used? Can the Companion generator be used by itself, without being connected to the standard unit. I understand that the power supplied is only available when both are running. One generator only provides 15a, True?

Can anyone give any advise about this set-up?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
bebotx

We have the same genset (regular eu2000i plus companion) for running the A/C on our 2720. When not running the A/C, we turn off the regular eu2000i and continue to run on the companion, still plugged into the 30 amp receptacle. When we want to run the A/C again we restart the regular eu2000i so they're running in parallel. Once they're both running, then we turn the A/C on.

For what it's worth, DH is a licensed Electrical Engineer and this technique has his seal of approval. The only hassle with this scenario is that the gennies will run out of gas at different times, but we plan to add an aux 6-gal gas tank to feed both gennies and eliminate this problem, as well as the the annoying problem of how to fill the genny tanks as full as recommended without overfilling and spilling gas.

Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
OffToDaRaces

Default Generator Uses

Hello , and thank you very much for the information. I thought that I should do it that way, but the "expert" at Camping world told me that I had to stop both gens if not gonna use a/c, and hook up to the standard unit. Seemed wrong to me.

Re: the fuel concern. I doing the same as you, I have tried to copy someone else's creation for a dual feed gas line, as seen on this forum. I don't remember who posted it, but he had pictures and parts needed list.

Thanks again. Enjoy your camping "fun".
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Default Parallel Hondas

I have two 2000i Honda generators and it runs the AC very well during parallel operation. One Honda 2000i unit will brown out the 13,500 btu AC units so don't try that. You get about 4 hours when both units have a full tank of gas.

The only warning about attempting to parallel the gen-sets is to make sure both generators are not running before you hook up the parallel cables to tie them in phase.

Make sure the parallel cables are connected to both gen sets, fire one up, then fire the next one up. Do not run the "eco" switch on during parallel operation. Make sure the eco switch is off and both generators are at full bore. This prevents the two generators from falling out of phase as they adjust their engine speed and prevents browning out the AC motors as they kick in.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
bebotx

Check out this link for an extended run tank set up from Wise Sales. It doesn't require you to do any mods to your existing Honda fuel caps:

http://www.wisesales.com/bergs-dual-...for-honda.html

At a reasonable cost ($170), you can get a nice extended run tank setup for two Honda gennies. Building your own may be cheaper, but we're going for the BERGS for convenience, and it seems very well built. You might shop around for a vendor with free shipping. Wise will ship free on orders over $199.

Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote