TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #1
S&C-Nevada

Default Advice for prospective buyer

Hello. I’m a prospective travel trailer buyer. This is my first post on your forum.

I’ve not owned a travel trailer before. In the past, I’ve hiked and backpacked and we’ve car camped. We’re older now, recently retired, and my wife has declared she is no longer interested in tent camping. I’ve done some research and concluded a folding tent trailer or a Trailmanor will meet our needs.

I own a 1999 Toyota 4Runner, SR5 4x4 with 3.4 L V-6 engine, 5-spd manual transmission and a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. The truck’s GVWR is 5250 lbs with a curb weight of 3885 lbs. We generally travel light, so I believe our payload will be less than 1365 lbs, assuming a tongue weight of 350-400 lbs. I realize the 4Runner is a mediocre tow vehicle (short wheel base and high center of gravity) but it meets my other needs. And it’s the vehicle I have.

I’d like to purchase a used Trailmanor 2417KD. We like the floor plan-we need only one bed and prefer the dinette. Its weight (2280 lbs dry and about 3530 lbs loaded) appears to be within the capacity of the truck. However, I’ve not been able to find this model. The 2720QD appears to be more common. The floor plan is acceptable. However, it is about 600 lbs heavier (2865 lbs dry and 4075 lbs loaded.)

So, I’d like advice on my purchase. I’d prefer the 2417KD. It weighs less the 80 percent of the rated tow capacity of the truck. The 2720QD is more available and meets the truck’s towing requirements on paper, but I’ve read the operational weights of Trailmanor trailers are heavier than the specified weights. Is the 2720 too much trailer for the 4Runner?

Thank you.

Steve
S&C-Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I won't advise you on the specifics of the 4Runner, since I've not owned or used one. But let me toss a few other things into the pot.

First, a lot of our members tow with 5000-pound rated vehicles, and seem happy with them. I'm sure you will hear from a few of them later today. I am of the uneducated opinion that your manual transmission is a good thing. Automatics, especially of that vintage, have a lot of internal slip, which generates heat. And heat kills transmissions. At some point, manufacturers started building automatic transmissions that lock up, though of course they did it for MPG reasons, not for towing reasons.

Very few 2417 models were produced. You might find one, but it might take a while. So you need to decide on your degree of patience. The 2417 grew a foot, becoming the 2518. Have you taken a look at the Trailmanor.com web site, to evaluate this option?

My first question for prospective owners is always "Where do you plan to tow?" It should be obvious (but usually isn't) that towing in the Rockies or Sierras or even the Appalachians not the same as towing in the midwest or Gulf coast. Since you are located in the west, you will probably want to visit/camp in mountainous terrain, so your tow vehicle will work a little harder, despite the fact that vehicle manufacturers give it a single number.

If you plan to camp in bear country (Yosemite, for example), you must have a hardside trailer. In some of these campgrounds, any trailer that has canvas is not allowed. A TM counts as a hardside, but a tent trailer / pop-up does not. I'm not sure where the hybrid trailers (hard-side upright trailer, but with canvas pop-out bed ends) fall.

I think "operational weights" (what does that term mean?) of a TM are reasonably accurate, but I'm glad you know the difference between "dry weight", "curb weight", and "loaded-ready-to-travel weight". As you recognize, it is always good to pack light. My wife and I pack heavy when we make our twice-a-year cross-country change of location journey, and our TM passes 4000 pounds, I'm sure. Remember that anything you put in your tow vehicle subtracts from its tow rating, pound for pound.

Good luck with your hunt - and feel free to ask more questions. That's what we are here for.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Not to be disrespectful here, but Yosemite allows soft sided camper and tents.
If the camper is hard-sided, you can have food inside the camper. If it's a soft sided or tent then you'll have to use the bear lockers for food and any other tasty or smelly items. I've been told in the past, in other bear country, refrain from using perfumes or smelly deodorants, since that can attract bears.
The best thing is do yer research before you make reservations or reach out to the camp ground for info prior to making reservations.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
S&C-Nevada

Default Advice for prospective buyer

Bill,

Thank you for your prompt response. I'm encouraged that other Trailmanor owners have good results with tow vehicles with a 5000 lb tow rating. This is the general information I'm looking for. I will research further what I need to do (weight distribution hitch, etc) to address the specific weaknesses of my tow vehicle. Yes, I believe the manual transmission is a slight advantage in a tow vehicle.

Thanks for the heads up about the limited production numbers of 2417s. Yes, I have looked at floor plans and specs for 2518s and they are attractive to us. However, I've seen very few used 2518s as well. We've chosen a poor time to purchase our first travel trailer because of additional demand caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Our goal is to travel to many national and state parks, initially in the West. So, yes, we will be towing the trailer in mountainous terrain, placing additional strain on the tow vehicle.

I was not precise in my use of the term "operational weight." I was trying to communicate the difference in specified weight and actual weight of the trailer. I read somewhere that the Trailmanor specified weights are for a "bare" trailer at the factory before installation of options, including many common options like air conditioning and awning. I was concerned that this difference may be significant.

Thank you again for providing me the benefit of your experience and for your well wishes during our search for a Trailmanor.

Steve

Steve
Old 02-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&C-Nevada View Post
I was not precise in my use of the term "operational weight." I was trying to communicate the difference in specified weight and actual weight of the trailer. I read somewhere that the Trailmanor specified weights are for a "bare" trailer at the factory before installation of options, including many common options like air conditioning and awning. I was concerned that this difference may be significant.
Steve
You were told correctly about the bare weight of a TrailManor trailer - and every other trailer. The bare weight, before additions of any options (air conditioner, awning, etc), is known as "dry weight", and every manufacturer provides this number. Then, once you add in all of your chosen factory-installed options, but no passengers or cargo, you arrive at "curb weight". And finally, when you add in all your stuff - food, clothes, bedding, tools, small appliances, dishes, and so forth - you arrive at what I call ready-to-camp weight. This is the number that your tow vehicle has to cope with, of course. And as you surmise, the difference between dry weight and ready-to-camp weight can be substantial. The actual ready-to-camp weight is the gross weight, and it must not exceed the Gross Weight Rating (GVWR) specified by the manufacturer.

In reality, the dry weight number is of very little use to you, but all manufacturers provide it. You have no control over dry weight. But you can pack light to control the ready-to-camp weight.

Bill
Old 02-25-2021, 10:43 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Not to be disrespectful here, but Yosemite allows soft sided camper and tents.
If the camper is hard-sided, you can have food inside the camper. If it's a soft sided or tent then you'll have to use the bear lockers for food and any other tasty or smelly items. I've been told in the past, in other bear country, refrain from using perfumes or smelly deodorants, since that can attract bears.
The best thing is do yer research before you make reservations or reach out to the camp ground for info prior to making reservations.
I will admit that it has been a number of years since we camped in Yosemite and King's Canyon in our first TM. But at that time, at least some campgrounds (possibly not all, I should have said that) would not admit tent trailers. We watched some being turned away at the campground entrance. A ranger came by as soon as we were parked and set up, and gave us the "bear story". He told us that all food that has a smell (unopened canned food was an obvious exception) MUST be stored in bear boxes during the night - it was not optional. He also told us that any smelly cosmetics - soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc) had to be stored in the bear boxes - again, not optional. And all trash had to go in bear-proof dumpsters before nightfall.

After dinner, a ranger came around to every newly-arrived trailer, and gently but insistently checked the trailer for any forbidden items. He told us that everyone does it wrong the first night, but it was important. I agreed, and added a few smelly items to the bear box. Beyond that, coolers were not allowed overnight in the passenger compartment of a car unless they were covered with a rumpled up blanket. The ranger told us that bears have learned to recognize any rectangular box shape as a cooler, and will try to get at it even if it has no smell. And they have been known to rip open a car door (!) to get at it. He had pictures of that - what a mess! And if they can rip open a car door, they can rip open a camper door. That got our attention, for sure.

Perhaps bears are better behaved now - it is actually possible, since rules against feeding wildlife are much more stringent now than they were in the past, so bears are not as accustomed to handouts. And not all campgrounds have grizzlies in the area. Canvas restrictions are not in force at all campgrounds, and I should have made that clear. But a quick read of several RV forums such as the Jayco Owners Forum tells us that a number of owners have actually encountered canvas restrictions at SOME campgrounds, just as we did. Among those mentioned as actual experience (not rumors) were SOME at Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Jasper, and a number in Wyoming. In each case, it was said that there were other campgrounds within reach that did allow canvas. And in some cases the canvas bans were temporary, so I should have mentioned that. But I won't take much risk in grizzly country.

The best advice is in your last sentence. Do your research before reserving.

Bill
Old 02-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #7
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

This is interesting. We live in bear country throughout the province of BC. The cities seem to be more fussy and will fine you if you put your garbage out too early. Sometimes they even peek into your garbage can to make sure you don't have any forbidden items in it.

I have never received such specific instructions in campgrounds in BC. Granted, we haven't stayed in a Provincial Park campground. I wonder if Yosemite was going through a period of time when they had more difficulty with bears? Or perhaps the policy makers for the State parks were being a little too paranoid? (Of course, you do have to have some level of paranoia in bear country, I'm not dismissing that.)

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #8
J_Norris
Site Sponsor

Hello Steve,
Greetings to you from Flagstaff! We regularly take our TM to Valley of Fire. I’ve added more detail than you may want since our camping region likely overlaps yours.

We pull a 3124KS with a factory-towing long-bed double cab Tacoma. Everything you’ve said and heard from others here for towing matches what I would think. We’re fine power-wise on most interstates, although the big hills to Flagstaff from the west require patience.

We have driven to hike the Sierras from Flagstaff 3 times – all September. Because of our truck isn’t super-powered, and with those valley temps in Nevada that can be over 100F, we’ve always taken the mountain-front highway through Lone Pine to avoid any of those wonderful but steep highway passes through the Basin and Range. An annoying but acceptable compromise for us.

BTW, we also migrated from backpacking, car camping, large tent camping, and now with aging and minor medical issues, to the Trailmanor. Just to throw in some other things that were important for our decision and what we’ve since learned:

King bed is a big deal for us. Not climbing over one another in the night is important. It may not be for you, depends on your physical condition and bladder.

Western camping in the Trailmanor has opened a whole new season for us in Southern Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. We usually boondock, and our night temps now typically range from the mid-teens (Fahrenheit) to low 50s, accompanied by pleasant sunny hiking days in the 50s – 70s. It’s especially nice if you enjoy the low sun photography of winter or have dogs that don’t like hiking in heat. A third benefit is when we do stay at campgrounds, they are much less raucous at night in the western off-season because the cold temperatures calm things down . I suspect it would be harder to stay warm in a more standard pop-up... although we have a little old dog that requires warmer temps at night than you may need.

Last but very important for many near-desert westerners: I hadn’t realized how amazingly easy it is to ‘winterize’ the Trailmanor compared to most true travel trailers. In Flagstaff it can drop below freezing 8 months of the year, and many of those months are prime camping season in the nearby deserts. I’d need to buy tremendous quantities of antifreeze and purchase an air compressor if I was going to winterize a true travel trailer after every trip! I’d guess that pop-ups are much easier than TTs, but for us the Trailmanor is the sweet spot in-between. There are good posts here for winterizing during and after trips. You probably won’t need it in Las Vegas, but Southern Utah is where we regularly camp well below freezing with some minor precautions described on this forum.

Best of luck in your hunt. We found our perfect TM by religiously checking the Craigslist search engine called Searchtempest and driving 7 hours for it. No regrets on the distance or purchase EXCEPT that we should have bought mirror extenders first! There is also another classified ads setup that operates in Utah that had some good listings, I can’t remember the name.

Jodi
Tacoma 4-door long-bed
J_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
J_Norris
Site Sponsor

I found that other classified ads site I mentioned earlier, it's https://classifieds.ksl.com/
Tacoma 4-door long-bed
J_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #10
S&C-Nevada

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for your post and information.

Flagstaff is a wonderful place. It is on my short-list of places to live if we leave Las Vegas. I'm still a member of Museum of Northern Arizona.

Our progression from backpacking, to hiking, to small tent camping, and finally to large tent car camping is similar.

Valley of Fire is a beautiful place. Have you been to Gold Butte?

Thanks for your information on towing with the Tacoma. I presume that your Tacoma is newer that my 1999 4Runner and probably has a more powerful engine and an automatic transmission.

Thank you for the information on classified advertisements. We've actually purchased a Trailmanor this weekend. We purchased a 2002 2720 SL. We had two options: an older 2002 2720SL and a newer 2011 (or 2012) 2720 SD. I prefer the dinette floor plan, but the 2002 was less than one third the price of the 2012. The 2002 was used hard and will require some "sweat equity" to bring it to my wife's standards. I'd also prefer a king bed, but a queen bed will work for us as long as I'm the one sleeping closest to the bathroom. On the trip from home after purchase, I also realized that I will need to purchase mirror extenders.

I appreciate your information on winterizing the Trailmanor. I will probably not need to do that this year. As you know, exploring the wilderness in the Southwest US in the winter is ideal; lower temperatures and fewer people.

I should close. Tomorrow I'm planning to face the DMV gauntlet (even more difficult with COVID restrictions) to register the travel trailer. Perhaps our paths will cross in a Southwestern national park or state campground. (BTW, you used the term Basin & Range Province. Not many people do. Are you a geologist?)

Steve