TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2023, 07:08 PM   #1
Hdlaut

Default 3M VHB Tape

I have seen a number of posts referencing 3M VHB Tape for mounting solar panels to the roof. I have mounting brackets that should work well.

The only question I have is: there's a number of different types of the VHB. which one is the best for my use case?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don
Hdlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdlaut View Post
I have seen a number of posts referencing 3M VHB Tape for mounting solar panels to the roof. I have mounting brackets that should work well.

The only question I have is: there's a number of different types of the VHB. which one is the best for my use case?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #3
Hdlaut

Wavery, Thanks very much!
Old 08-26-2023, 09:26 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Be sure to wash and rinse the surface of the roof AND the mating surface of your brackets. Then wipe the surfaces down with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

When you put the brackets in place, put pressure against them for 20-30 seconds to release the banding agent. then let it cure for 24 hours before putting pressure on them.

If you ever want to remove the brackets, get yourself some 4" razor scraper blades. Hold one end of the blade with a vise grip and slice the tape from the side. Slice one direction only. It will take several careful passes to get all the way through. If you're careful it won't even scratch the roof. When the bracket is removed, take your thumb and rub across the tape residue and it will come off completely.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-S...5&sr=8-49&th=1

When I mount my brackets, I screw all of the brackets to the side of the solar panel, ready to mount. I then place the panel on the roof, exactly where I want it. Then I mark the perimeter of each bracket with a pencil. Then, I remove the brackets from the panel and "Tape" them in place, one at a time. This way you can apply enough pressure on the individual brackets.

Once the tape has cured, set you panel on the brackets and put the screws back in. Here's a pic of my panel in place. You can see the type brackets that I use and how I attached mine to my panels.

I get the brackets with those rabbit ears and drill holes for self-drilling screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3655a.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	22491  
Old 08-26-2023, 10:42 AM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default I've used several 'VHB' formulation in the past.

For the case of mounting glass panels on Z-bar brackets, you will want to have full 1" width along the lower part of the bracket. They're only about 4 inches long, and the total surface area would be reduced (badly) by using less width.

For the case of mounting 'flexible' panel, I have used 1" width in the past, but now prefer width of either .6 inches or .75 inches. Any of those widths is "adequate", but the 1" width goes past the the edge of most flex panels and underneath the cells. The greater width is harder to cut, and removing a panel creates some risk of damaging the panel assembly when the tape stretches to far inwards.

For all cases of mounting with good contact, I slightly prefer a thin tape (0.40 thickness or less), rather than the thick ones with more foam in between. 'RP36' and '4950' fit the bill. Only for the case of a Z-bar foot not reaching down to the roof shell surface (due to the shells being bent, rather than flat) would I use thicker pieces.

In the past, fearing inadequate adhesion, I have used large amounts of VHB along my flex panel edges - up to 40% of the total edge length in the most extreme case. I'm moving and adding a couple of panels in the next two days., and intend to use much less as follows:

Just 8 pieces slightly less than 4" long each (total about 30 inches). One piece angled at 45 degrees in each corner, additional peices centered on each "long edge", and slightly shorter pieces centered along the each "short edge". Avoiding grommet holes, of course.

I have found subsequent removal of VHB tape to be pretty easy for the "gray foam versions in a hot garage, and absolutely beastly for the case of a su[per-thin "white foam" version. But that white foam tape might not have been a normal consumer product.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
Hdlaut

Thanks to you both! These are the brackets I am planning to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09XB...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used them before on a boat. Do you have any thoughts on them? BTW, I plan to mount a 335W Panasonic panel.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:42 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default unsure of your panel orientation.... the TM roof shells are curved.ved.

Quote:

I used them before on a boat. Do you have any thoughts on them? BTW, I plan to mount a 335W Panasonic panel.
That mounting set is ingtend for a completely flat surface, while the TM shells are built with significant curvature very high in the middle (compared to the street and curb edges).

If you will mount with 'longer side' of the solar panel frame front-to-back, then the linear pieces (for the the middles of those long sides) will be usable. But you will not able to use those pieces for the case of mounting with the long dimension sideways (street side to curb side.)
Old 08-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #8
Hdlaut

Hmmmm. I currently have a 100W (I guess) factory panel where I want to put the new one. I guess I will have to remove it and test fit to see if they work unmodified.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:14 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Factory panel is very small,

and can be mounted with only 4 Z-bars. It also weight far less, your bigger panel could create a lifting issue.

Are you looking the front shell or the rear shell? For the case of the rear shell, the remaining "depth" when closed is very important and varies according to the model of TM you have.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:

Why?

They restrict the airflow under the panel and take up more real-estate. I mean, if you like them, go for it. They seem to have a nice flat spot on the bottom for the tape.