TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
TM_Matt

Default Thetford Toilet Cap Parts

I need the cap and splash guard for the Electra Magic toilet. Thetford has an assembly that costs over $300 that includes these parts but they won't sell them separately. This is the part in the back left corner of the top of the toilet.

Do you have any suggestions on getting these parts or retrofitting some alternative?

Alternatively, would anyone be willing to take these two parts out and take a photo ? I may just retrofit it. Will post photos if I do :-)

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
myersm

I just rebuilt my Thetford Toilet... If we're talking about the top left side of the toilet, mine had just a round white plastic piece (cap) and a round piece of black rubber material under it. Both pieces just fit into the hole and did not attach with any screws or clamps... they jusy sit there.
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
mbd4kids

I just took mine out because I created a vent for the toilet. If my kids can help, I will post pics. The black piece is just a piece of dense foam that fits in the hole. I'm sure any thick foam would work. Or perhaps you'd want to do the vent too. I will post pics on that too. (not sure how much it will help, but it has to help some...
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
TM_Matt

Great, thanks all. MBD4kids, any photos both of the piece and your vent would be great.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
retiredgoat

TM_MATT,

Here are some pic's of my version of the thetford vent and one of the old plug, hope it helps.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elbow and outside vent.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	4585   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view vent.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	4586   Click image for larger version

Name:	thetford vent pulled off.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	4587   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent plug.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	4588  
Old 05-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
TM_Matt

Thank you very much for taking the time to post those. Unfortunately it doesn't let me open them. Does that mean I have to upgrade my membership or something else?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yes, Matt, that is exactly what that means. For the first 30 days of signing up, you see everything paid members see. After that, you only see a few of the sub forums -- basically, the prospective owner and for sale sections. But you are missing out on 95% of the forum, including all the technical content and photos.

Joining only costs $12/year, and helps defray the expenses of running the forum, preventing the introduction of advertisements plastered all over the place. I think you will find it is the best $12 you spend towards your trailer. I feel that way, and I know many others do too.

See here for instructions on how to sign up:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6107

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
mbd4kids

For my vent I used a plastic washing machine hose. I threaded this through the trailer after measuring and cutting a 1" hole through the side of the trailer. For the toilet end, I used the end that would come out of the washer, after cutting off the very end of the rubber (~1" worth). This then slid very nicely into the PVC piece that I put through the toilet opening. At the toilet I used a 3/4" PVC female connector and on the inside of the toilet layered a 1 1/4 " washer for brass tube with a 1 1/2" tub and shower gasket (Home Depot Danco part 88209, other one by Dearborn Brass). I then screwed on a 3/4" male connector to secure. By using the flexible hose, I can remove it easily (actually just slides into the PVC piece) to take the toilet out. We did put a ring clamp with a small piece of metal wedged under to screw into the wall "in case", but doubt it will move. I plan on cutting the outside end close to the trailer, and will put a dollar store sink screen into the end, and will screw it to the outside wall. Doubt things would want to crawl in, but one never knows. I can't get pics to post. If you send me your email, I can send them to you.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
TM_Matt

Thanks all. I was able to get the part in question so it looks complete. The vent concept is quite innovative but I don't have the nerve to go that far yet!