TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Antique musical instruments, and American Pickers

As some of you know, my wife and I travel across the country with our TM (Maine to southern AZ and back) twice a year. We take our time, and like to see interesting stuff. I haven't written much about the sights we've seen, but I'm sitting here watching American Pickers and thought I might do so.

On this trip, one stop was the De Bence Antique Musical Instrument Museum in Franklin, PA. They have a large collections (3 floors!) of the most amazing automatic musical instruments I've ever seen. Automatic musical instruments, of course, are instruments that play themselves. They are usually air-powered, with air supplied by a built-in blower or by foot-pumped bellows. A player piano is a common example - but have you ever seen a self-playing violin? Or an entire orchestra in a big wooden cabinet called an Orchestrion? Of course there are also spring-wound instruments, like music boxes. This town is a few miles north of I-80 - definitely worth a trip.

The other place I'll mention was the home of American Pickers in LeClaire, Iowa. If I had to sum up that one in one word, that word would be "disappointing". The place is very small - it apparently had been a single-bay service station, with a small office beside the bay. There was almost nothing in it except shelves of cheesy Pickers souvenirs and a bored-looking girl (not Danielle!). There was parking for about 8 cars in front, but no parking anywhere for anything bigger, such as a car with a trailer. I parked against the curb on a nearby residential street, but didn't dare stay long. The one cool thing was the old Nash Aeroflyte - the one you see on TV - parked in front. I think it's a '49, but there was nobody around who knew anything about it. And it isn't really an antique, just a rusting hulk with everything inside missing including the seats and the floor. Only a couple miles off I-80, and the town has some other cool stuff - but I don't recommend going out of your way for Antique Archeology.

We saw lots of other interesting stuff on this latest trip, but I won't bore you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Bluegrass

I've made a note, so to speak, on the Pennsylvania museum.

For "real" pickin', try The Crooked Road.

Keith
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

keith
you hit it there,
nothing like the carter fold on a sat nite @ hiltons va.
also this yrs (rythym and roots) in bristol was the biggest so far,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As some of you know, my wife and I travel across the country with our TM (Maine to southern AZ and back) twice a year. We take our time, and like to see interesting stuff. I haven't written much about the sights we've seen, but I'm sitting here watching American Pickers and thought I might do so.

On this trip, one stop was the De Bence Antique Musical Instrument Museum in Franklin, PA. They have a large collections (3 floors!) of the most amazing automatic musical instruments I've ever seen. Automatic musical instruments, of course, are instruments that play themselves. They are usually air-powered, with air supplied by a built-in blower or by foot-pumped bellows. A player piano is a common example - but have you ever seen a self-playing violin? Or an entire orchestra in a big wooden cabinet called an Orchestrion? Of course there are also spring-wound instruments, like music boxes. This town is a few miles north of I-80 - definitely worth a trip.

Bill
There is another large collection of these self-playing instruments and orchestrons at the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar, CA. Sylmar is a suburb of Los Angeles. The instrument collection is accompanied by a VERY large collection of perfectly restored classic cars. Deusenbergs and that sort of thing. There is also one classic steam engine and passenger train to tour.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Oooh! You got me at "restored classic cars"! Might have lost me at "Los Angeles", though. Been there - lots. Didn't enjoy it much the one time I tried it with a TM. It is quite different without a trailer, though, especially the beaches.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Oooh! You got me at "restored classic cars"! Might have lost me at "Los Angeles", though. Been there - lots. Didn't enjoy it much the one time I tried it with a TM. It is quite different without a trailer, though, especially the beaches.

Bill
Bill,

They actually have two buildings full of these cars. Not the type of classic cars that interest me though. I really like to see fully restored 40's and 50's cars, maybe some from the 30's and 60's, but mostly the kinds of cars most folks drove. Or racing cars.

The Nethercutt collection is mostly top of the line cars: Rolls Royce, Cadillac, foreign luxury brands from the teens up to the 30's. Lots of one offs with custom bodies, the sort of thing the very wealthy drove. They are in perfect condition, and are beautiful if you are into those types.

Nethercutt was a millionaire in the cosmetics business. I remember him from his sportscar racing days in the 50's. However, the only sports car I saw there was a beautiful Austin-Healy 100-4 in racing trim. There is also a small room about the hot rod days, with one car and a lot of speed equipment on display.

Admission is free but you must call ahead to reserve a spot on the day's tour.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote