TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
Joseph

Thumbs up Amen brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Ditto, perk it with the 40 year old aluminum pot on the gas stove, over the fire pit, or anywhere to get it hot enough to boil good
Amen brother!....

I have enjoyed this thread. Is this not the most different set of folks you could find anywhere? LOL.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
wahoonc

Quote:
Ditto, perk it with the 40 year old aluminum pot on the gas stove, over the fire pit, or anywhere to get it hot enough to boil good
Two thumbs up!

Love my old percolator, it has been a staple in my life for over 40 years and it was old when I got it. I bought a couple more at yard sales and thrift shops over the years, hard to mess with perfection!

Aaron
Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We've got one of those too...but we think that the AeroPress makes much better tasting coffee.

Started out with the percolator, it must be at least 40 years old....also have a drip coffeemaker at home, it's OK, that's what we use at home, tried the Melitta cone thing, the French Press model (what a mess to clean up), no desire to try the cowboy coffee method (also a mess).

Isn't it wonderful how many choices you have to prepare coffee nowdays?

We have a Keurig at work, it makes pretty good coffee and it's fast, but I only use it to make tea. It makes hot water very quickly, and it doesn't waste coffee because you only make as much as you want to drink right away. They also make reusable "cups" that you can put your own coffee into.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #24
Drlmri

Default Toddy coffee maker?

No body has tried the Toddy? It's basically a giant funnel with a filter and a plug. you put the coffee in the funnel, plug the bottom, and let it set overnight. Then you pull the plug and let it drain through the filter into a carafe. You then have cold brewed coffee extract, that you can mix with hot water in the strength you want. One trick is to freeze it in cubes and drop one or two into a mug of hot water....leaving all the grinds and mess at home.
Drlmri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #25
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
When my expensive kitchen coffee maker quit, I resorted to this. I ran the hot mixture of coffee and grains through the coffee filter in the coffee maker to get nice clear coffee. It was the best coffee I had had in years. Better than those Kreug things, better than any coffee maker I've used.

I now use my parents old made-in-Canada ( ) percolator. It makes a great cup of coffee. (Just don't let it boil on high for any length of time. Reduce the heat unless you like bitter sludge).

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #26
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have a big Keurig at home and a travel unit in the TM. Run off a 1200KW inverter. Takes the 200w solar about a half hour to recover.

Use only K-Cups with at leas 40g of coffee (bold/dark roast). REVV has 47g but does not taste as good as French Roast (42g) or Dark Magic (40g) - to me everything else tastes weak.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #27
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Run off a 1200KW inverter.
That must be one big inverter. 1.2 megawatts. Or is that just how you feel after the coffee? :-)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #28
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I use this at hunting camp and then in the camping season, this makes a great one-cup from k-cup coffees. No electricity needed and depending on the k-cup you use, this will even make ice coffee for the hot summer days. Search for the name Cafejo. It is made very well and can make strong coffee if you plunge it very slowly.

Otherwise we use a large French press for the first pot at breakfast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	15286  
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #29
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

I use a Primula Brew Buddy - takes up almost no space or weight, and makes a decent cup of coffee. Then again, I spent 20 years in the Navy, so I'm not picky about coffee, at all. I love coffee, therefore, I'll happily drink anything, even sludge.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primula.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	15287  
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #30
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranmullen View Post
What do you use for a hand grinder? Might just bring the electric one from home and run it on an inverter. It would use far much less power than the electric coffee maker.
I don't recall the name -- it's from Japan and fits into the Aeropress when not in use, for super-compactness, but it was pricey and at the time I had to order it direct from Japan. It was the only one available back then, you see.

Now, if you google you can probably find a few less expensive models that will fit the bill. If you don't need it to fit within the aeropress itself there are more options.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote