TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
SireMike

Default First campground complaint about TM

This complaint kinda shocked me. Something was said to the wife when we checked out about another camper complaint about our 3124ks. This was at a Army National Guard campground in NE Florida. I was amazed

The post has two campgrounds. One for RV's with 20 spots (full hookups), the other probably a hundred or so sites in a primitive campground for tents and popups. They have water only on these sites and no reservations. Both campgrounds are on a lake.

Someone complained about our TM in the RV campground stating that "popups" were supposed to be in the other campground.

I checked the rules again and only self-contained RVs are allowed in the RV campground and definitely no tents allowed. Looks like self-contained equals running water, shower, etc. The TM is a Travel Trailer, not a tent popup!

I have not been back yet as it is starting to cool down and really the lake is the only thing to do at the campground. I do not have a boat.

Really great spot on a nice lake only 20 miles from home. In fact, there is no public access to the lake anymore since the commercial campground just sold out to a developer.

I will raise hell if they try to keep me out when I go back.

Mike
Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

I suggest you also read the thread at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4537.

My comments are near the middle of that thread. Anyone who says the TrailManor is a "pop-up" has never owned a pop-up. We have owned several popups, and we bought our TrailManor because it offers amenities a popup lacks -- in particular, full hard shell, no canvas, full bath.

Also, our Virginia Vehicle Registration says "TrailManor Travel Trl." That's a travel trailer -- officially!

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I think in those situations it's important to connect your sewer hose as soon as you set up rather than waiting until you need to dump. We've had people eye-balling our TM when parked in the full-hookup section of campgounds but they move on when they see the sewer hose. I have to admit that I'm not insulted when someone refers to our TM as a popup. If it looks like a rose --.

Campground owners are within their rights to impose any restrictions they wish if they are not violating any State or Federal non-discrimination laws. Usually the campground guides list these and it might be worth a call ahead to verify they will take a TM if they don't take popups. One of our neighbors who owns a shiny new 40' pusher was denied entrance at a campground this summer because he was towing his Harley in an enclosed trailer which he could not unhook easily without help. He was not happy either.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

In California, we have to register our TM as a "travel trailer" and pay annual licensing fees, vs. a tent trailer, that you can register as a "PTO" and pay a one time fee. We have a utility trailer too, it's a "PTO".

I now believe that the difference between the two, according to our state law, is the definition of "Recreational Vehicle". From what the lady at the DMV told us (it took us the better part of 20 minutes to wait while they decided what to charge us when we registered it, we bought it out of state), they were charging us an annual license fee "because it had hard walls and you could live in it".

Our county just passed a law that would forbid on-street "Recreational Vehicle" parking in neighborhoods that get together and vote for the restriction.

While researching the law while I composed a letter to my county supervisor, I looked up the definition of "Recreational Vehicle" in the state vehicle code, and found that the definition said that a "Recreational Vehicle" was "designed for human habitation". Evidently, tent trailers aren't "designed for human habitation", at least in the eyes of the California DMV. So, to, me, the "Recreational Vehicle" parking restriction wouldn't apply to tent trailers (?). There are already laws prohibiting camping on the street at night, but some people in a particular neighborhood felt that there was another law needed because these laws already on the books aren't being enforced.

Perhaps in some states this would bolster your argument with the campground owners/managers that your TM wasn't a "popup", but a true "travel trailer". Of course, it's all subject to their judgment, and that's about as predictable as knowing which side of the bed they got out of in the morning.

I'd be curious to hear from people around the country about how they have to pay their TM license fees, annually, or do you only have to pay a one time fee?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Where the "popup" thing really mattered to us was when we were waiting in line last summer to get in a Banff NP campground that had bear problems. It was late in the day and a Ranger was walking down the line telling tent campers and tent-trailer people that they couldn't camp there. There aren't many TMs in Canada so I wasn't sure what he would do with us but he paused just long enough to ask if our trailer had all solid walls. He's the only person that I've ever really cared what he thought our TM was.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Myronroo

Here in Texas we are considered to have a TT. We pay a fee annually. Just paid ours this month.

Ron
Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Freedom

In Washington State, the TM is considered a TT and we pay for tabs every year, but then the tent trailers we had before were considered popups and we still had to pay for tabs every year. Even our utility trailers have to be licensed every year. Of course Washington likes to tax everything - our gas is very high because of the taxes imposed by the state. In a recent survey - this week - our gas price was second ONLY to Honolulu, HI! They even tax off road vehicles with an "off road" sticker - don't get caught without it!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Is this a problem?

Mike, as I read your post, another camper complained not the campground personnel. In that case, who cares. In every campground you will find someone (only one if you're lucky) who has to comment about others. I wouldn't let another person's bad attitude affect my good time, life is too short.