TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #1
Stephene1219

Default Owners Manual Very out of Date

I have a 2022 2922KS and as I have tried to vert carefully go through all the steps as if I was out camping. I keep running into an issue with the accuracy of the manual. It seems they are still using the manual that was written a long time ago even though they have made many changes. This is really clear in section 4 "The System". It just seems they do not care if what you are reading has no bearing on the trailer you just bought. A good example is the hot water heater. The manual says it is under the couch or table, mine is under the sink.
It then goes through a long list of what to do to turn the water heater on using gas. In my case I just have a single switch mounted on the front of the kitchen sink. I turn it to on but have no idea if it is actually on this there are no lights to indicate it is working. Anyone else with a newer TM have this same problem.
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:40 AM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephene1219 View Post
I have a 2022 2922KS and as I have tried to vert carefully go through all the steps as if I was out camping. I keep running into an issue with the accuracy of the manual. It seems they are still using the manual that was written a long time ago even though they have made many changes. This is really clear in section 4 "The System". It just seems they do not care if what you are reading has no bearing on the trailer you just bought. A good example is the hot water heater. The manual says it is under the couch or table, mine is under the sink.
It then goes through a long list of what to do to turn the water heater on using gas. In my case I just have a single switch mounted on the front of the kitchen sink. I turn it to on but have no idea if it is actually on this there are no lights to indicate it is working. Anyone else with a newer TM have this same problem.
It is not a case of the manual being outdated. For one thing, I'm not aware of any hot water heater ever being place under a sofa. The fresh water tank may be located in one of several places though. If your manual actually states that the hot water heater is located under the couch, than a more recent writing of the manual is incorrect.

My manual which is from a 2001 2720SD:

Chapter 4 The Systems
Fresh Water System
"1. A 20 gallon fresh water tank is located under the sofa, dinette seat, or in a cabinet. The 2720 Slideout model is equipped with an 11 gallon fresh water tank."

On p. 27 of my manual, it describes all three types of water heaters used: pilot type, automatic ignition type, and automatic ignition/electric. In this case you do have to figure out which heater you have, but the operation of each is described.

I think, under the technical section of this forum, you will find one of the older manuals available for download. This may be useful to you. Honestly, not a whole lot has changed in the Trailmanors over the years.
1) wooden to aluminum framing late 1990's to early 2000's.
2) side AC to rooftop AC (early 2000's)
3) different models of appliances being used in various years, but the locations and operation of each has always been similar.
4) moldings have changed over the years
5) 2022: A new toilet is being used.

Other small things have changed, but the basic layouts have been the same for decades.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:28 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think Larry has given a pretty good summary of the situation.

I have had three 2720SL TMs (more recently called 2720QS - same trailer, updated model name). Mine were a 2002 model, a 2006 model, and my current 2020 model. The TrailManor web site says that the 2922 is the same as the 2720 except that it has been lengthened by 2 feet to accommodate a king size bed. Specifically it says:

"The TrailManor 2922 Series fits an important place in our product line — three new trailers that offer the same highly popular floorplans of our 2720 models — but with a KING sized bed."

To my knowledge, the water heater has always been under the sink, and during my 20 years of moderating this forum, I've not seen a mention of the heater anywhere else for any model. If your manual says something else, perhaps you would copy that statement out for us.

Again, as Larry says, the fresh water tank is in different places and different sizes on different models. There are references to 11 gallons, 20 gallons, and 40 gallon tanks.

As for the ON-OFF switching for the water heater, this can easily be confusing. The water heater can heat water using two different sources of heat - gas and electricity. The gas switch is on the apron in front of the sink. There is a rocker switch and a small red light beside it. When you turn the switch on, the red light will come on for a few seconds, then will turn off. This reflects the operation of automatically lighting the gas burner. The operation takes several seconds, during which the light is on to signify "Igniting in progress". Then, when the burner is lit, the red light goes out and the heater begins normal operation. No, there is no persistent ON light, any more than there is one on your home water heater.

Just to make things confusing, the switch to turn electric heating on and off is outside the trailer, on the body of the heater behind the louvered panel. Take a look at the blue arrow in this picture
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...&pictureid=447.
Incidentally, the manual says that it is OK to turn on both the electric and the gas heating elements at the same time. As the manual also says, neither the gas or electric heating element should be turned on until the water heater is filled with water.

I agree that the manual is not exactly a work of fine literature. But it has been reasonably stable, because the design of the TM has been reasonably stable. If you find other discrepancies, please inquire about them here. We will be glad to help straighten things out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:39 AM   #4
Stephene1219

I apologize about the comment on the location of the hot water heater. You are correct it is under the sink. I all my reading I just got the fresh water tank and the HW heater mixed up in my post.

I turned on the rocker switch but the red light never comes on. I have turned it on and off a number of times and no red light. So, I guess that means it is not igniting. How do I fix? The electric side works fine. But since most of my camping is boondocking, I will be using gas most of the time.

I am just used to having very detailed instructions. This is my third RV and I guess I was frustrated with just having high level info.

I do have another issue regarding water pressure. Using city water I filled and bled all the water lines. The kitchen sink has great pressure and when you turn on the cold and then the hot you get increased water flow. I n the bathroom for both the sink and the shower, there is only a small portion of the pressure at the kitchen sink. Also when you turn on the cold and then the hot there is no difference in the water flow.
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Re water flow and pressure, the problem is almost certainly due to grit in the aerator at the end of the faucet. If you take a look at the end of of the faucet where the water comes out, you will find that there is a screen set in a metal ring. The ring screws off, usually quite easily. Once off, you can see the grit (often white granules) caught in the screen. Rinse them out of the screen, and put the whole thing back.

Incidentally, the faucets in your house have the same aerators, but they don't get clogged because there is no source of the grit. In an RV, the grit comes from the water heater, specifically the anode rod, also called the sacrificial anode. The function of this piece is to prevent corrosion of the inside of the water heater tank, by corroding itself instead.

Re the red light on the water heater switch, something is not right. Are you sure there is propane in your tanks, and that the tanks are turned on? Sometimes they are delivered empty because they cannot be shipped with propane in them. The dealer usually fills them before delivery. Try turning on a stove burner - does it light? It is also possible, though unlikely, that there is a problem with the 12-volt supply to the controller. You might check the colored plastic fuses in the converter box.

Bill
Old 04-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I apologize about the comment on the location of the hot water heater. You are correct it is under the sink. I all my reading I just got the fresh water tank and the HW heater mixed up in my post.

I turned on the rocker switch but the red light never comes on. I have turned it on and off a number of times and no red light. So, I guess that means it is not igniting. How do I fix? The electric side works fine. But since most of my camping is boondocking, I will be using gas most of the time.

I am just used to having very detailed instructions. This is my third RV and I guess I was frustrated with just having high level info.

I do have another issue regarding water pressure. Using city water I filled and bled all the water lines. The kitchen sink has great pressure and when you turn on the cold and then the hot you get increased water flow. I n the bathroom for both the sink and the shower, there is only a small portion of the pressure at the kitchen sink. Also when you turn on the cold and then the hot there is no difference in the water flow.
How long do you leave the rocker switch in the "ON" position? I believe the red light comes on when the gas heater is on. Also, the automatic ignition type does require electricity to work, so it will need at least the 12V system connected and working. On mine, the red light doesn't come on right away, but comes on a few moments after turning the switch on.

As I understand it, the first time lighting the gas heater will require a number of tries. It has a system lockout so that if the burner doesn't light the first time, it locks out. You have to turn the switch off for at least 5 seconds then retry. This is to purge the air from the lines.

Perhaps you can go the the side, open the access plate to the hot water heater and sniff the area when some one turns the switch on. If you smell gas, you know that you are getting gas to the heater.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Section 4 is Systems, including the water system. Section 5 is Appliances, including the water heater.

Is the manual dated? Overall, not really. Not much has changed, including the water systems. Could it use a few edits and additions? Probably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	125FC2F5-2F92-4070-8DC9-463AF9F6890F.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	652.9 KB
ID:	20705   Click image for larger version

Name:	E0A97054-23C3-4237-A549-59E7CD691C18.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	682.1 KB
ID:	20706   Click image for larger version

Name:	0459162F-1357-422C-8BA2-842D6B93ACF1.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	20707  
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #8
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Is the bathroom set up?

Quote:
In my TM the bathroom walls around the tub must be set up for electricity to ignite the gas water heater.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Good catch, Tim! I bet that is the answer.

Bill
Old 04-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Yes, I think that is the answer. In my 2020 TM, the bathroom wall switch no longer controls the lights in the rear shell since the new LEDs run so much cooler. But I noted that the switch is still there, and still has wires attached to it. I wondered what function(s) it still had - and confirmed that the water heater controller is one such item.

Bill