TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
Househunterlives

Default bag seal foam alturnative from Lowes

Been Looking and researching on replacing my rear bag seal. A lot has been said about this issue on what materials to use. Many people have used other materials other than the factory stuff. Wanted to know if anyone has consider using window a/c foam.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-3-1-2-f...rstrip/1096097

Its a open cell foam just like the original foam. Was just trying to find stuff that is readily available to purchase. Would probably need about 4 of these. Would just glue the ends together to make it a solid one piece.
Househunterlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 02:56 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Househunterlives View Post
Its a open cell foam just like the original foam.
Is the original foam an open-cell foam? In other words, it will absorb water? I wouldn't have thought so.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:57 AM   #3
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Looks like that would work to me. But wondering if the 2" size wouldn't fill the space better than the 1"?

Also, I'm guessing the strips would probably stay in place fine (without attaching end to end) once they are wrapped inside the bag material?
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
Househunterlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Looks like that would work to me. But wondering if the 2" size wouldn't fill the space better than the 1"?

Also, I'm guessing the strips would probably stay in place fine (without attaching end to end) once they are wrapped inside the bag material?
That is what I was thinking. Even if the glued ends come apart they would stay formed by the bag. Gluing them would just help getting them installed and keep an even length until you stapled the bag. And I think the 2" thickness would help with a better seal. Soft enough foam and made for outside conditions being in a window and all.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:42 PM   #5
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Househunterlives View Post
That is what I was thinking. Even if the glued ends come apart they would stay formed by the bag. Gluing them would just help getting them installed and keep an even length until you stapled the bag. And I think the 2" thickness would help with a better seal. Soft enough foam and made for outside conditions being in a window and all.
That's similar to what I used in replacing my seal some years ago. I found some approximately 1" thick pads of foam rubber at a fabric store closeout. Maybe 1x2 foot pads with several in a package. I just cut 2 foot strips maybe 2" or less wide then doubled them up. Inserted the 2 foot sections as I worked across and down. None of them have moved around since then.

By the way it was a marine grade upholstery fabric with UV protection, also bought at the same fabric closeout, that I used to replace the original bag outer skin.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:38 AM   #6
Househunterlives

Default Too soft

So went by my Lowes store to check these out. To me they are too soft. Really need something else that will hold its shape better. I feel they would not seal that good. There is a happy median between memory foam and close cell foam. Found a foam company that offers water resistant foam. Little harder than open cell, but enough give would form a good seal. Plus the added feature of water repellent.
https://www.foambymail.com/dryfast-foam.html
Old 04-16-2023, 06:20 PM   #7
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I've bought from this company before and they're really great. My family lived about 30 mins from them. I was able to give them one of my TM cushions on a past visit to get a good fit. I thought the foam was 4", but in they were 5". They were a good snug fit and I could not be happier. I'd give them a call, cause I've never heard of a quick dry foam before.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:59 PM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I might be speaking of things I am not an expert about but I am going to relay what my experience was. When I had to replace the original bag seal on my older 2003 model. There were obvious signs of significant water penetration into the insides of the bag and down along the two vertical sides of the bag. Every screw in that area was completely rusted out and all the wood inserts that the screws go into rotted away as well. The foam was still there but it was a surprisingly thin and soft material.

So my opinion is that the main objective to prevent water damage is not the material inside the bag. It is finding a good, long lasting outer bag material that will not degrade and allow water penetration into the inside of the bags. Including thoroughly sealing all the edges and attachment points for the outer bag that might be exposed to rain, whether that be staples, screws or whatever.

The main job of the inside foam material is to help form a seal between the upper and lower shells so that rain does not run along the roof into the inside of the camper.