TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Extreme Cold Weather Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
T and C
TrailManor Master

Here is a link to Mr. Geek's thread about his 17 days of winter camping.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11167

The thread has a lot of pages and it did not start snowing for several days. I think the picture of the 7 foot icicle hanging off his TM is on page 8.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Thanks T and C...I just found the thread too...it is in Utah and the thread is 14 pages long. I love this thread and I am still jealous he could tow his TM with his Jeep Wrangler. The thread is an interesting read.

FYI: I did see another thread that cautioned don't get snow/ice off with a metal shovel...bad scarring to TM.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
T and C
TrailManor Master

I have spent most of my life in SoCal, so my snow experience is limited to visits to the mountains and two winters in Michigan back in the 60's.

I have a question about using those heated water hoses you see advertised in RV magazines. Wouldn't the pipe that comes out of the ground where you attach the hose freeze even if the hose did not?

The DW and I have been talking about spending two weeks in an RV park in either Big Bear, CA or Flagstaff, AZ this winter just to see how we would like living where winter is the real thing. Hence, my interest in this question.

Sunshine Tom

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11167
Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

There's this post too:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1559
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
The DW and I have been talking about spending two weeks in an RV park in either Big Bear, CA or Flagstaff, AZ this winter just to see how we would like living where winter is the real thing. Hence, my interest in this question.
Sunshine Tom
I have been to Big Bear in the Winter (house rental).

I have been to Norden (Donner pass) in the Winter (house rental).

Never confuse two places like this, even though they are in the same state.

In Norden I had to shovel around the car twice a day. I piled the snow on top of the snow next to the car. Eventually I had to move my pile over so I could start a new pile. I can only toss snow about 8 to 10 feet high. For a 3 day storm that is not high enough.

Just as a guess, Norden can get more snow in a weekend than Big Bear will get in a season.

The newer homes in Norden are 6 inch exterior studs instead of the normal 2x4. This is to allow for additional insulation. Code requirements.

But both are nice places.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
kokilo

Default Some winter camping thoughts

We travel in the winter in our TM up and down the west coast. At the first sign of snow or ice in the forecast we pull in to a park with water, power and sewer and wait for roads to become completely bare before proceeding. We have been stuck for up to a week in the snow waiting to move on. Of course there is winter and there is winter. You cannot compare winter camping on the West coast in Oregon and Washington with Minnesota or Northern New York.

The big issue is keeping the snow and ice off the roof. We have a push broom that we use every few hours to keep it from building up.

Heat is not a problem, we use 2 1500 watt heaters and have a spare propane tank which we deploy to avoid having to move the dinette slide (2720SD) to get at the horizontal tanks. In addition we have made covers for the windows, vents and door out of a roll of reflective insulation with an air gap core that we bought at Home Depot. These covers slide under the curtains against the glass and make a tremendous difference in heating. The vent covers are held in place with velcro.

If it's below freezing at night we fill our water tank once a day and keep the cabinet doors open to avoid a freeze. We have not had temperatures so low that we could not dump black and grey water or had the grey water tank freeze. If we did have to deal with it, building a skirt out of insulation around the tank and plumbing and hanging a 100 watt bulb incandescent bulb for heat in the space would probably do the trick.

Our best idea was to use two single thermorest camping mattresses under the TM Queen size mattress in the rear. This is very warm and is so comfortable that we use them in all seasons now.

Peter and Martha
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #18
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
I have spent most of my life in SoCal, so my snow experience is limited to visits to the mountains and two winters in Michigan back in the 60's.

I have a question about using those heated water hoses you see advertised in RV magazines. Wouldn't the pipe that comes out of the ground where you attach the hose freeze even if the hose did not?

Sunshine Tom
Now here is a subject I can talk about! I grew up in Escondido but have lived in snow country for the past way too many years to mention, including Wyoming, Flagstaff and now Colorado. We lived in Flagstaff for 22 years and the only thing that could have convinced us to leave was our precious grandchildren. I couldn't recommend Flagstaff more highly.

However, you will not like it in a TM in the winter. You would most likely end up at the KOA which is ok but it is steep (as in an adventure just to get to the restrooms/laundry walking on ice), water and dumping will be an unending job, on and on. We have done it. It's not fun. It makes Sedona sound really good, Phoenix even better. If you have a house where you can walk around, throw another log on the fire, not even think about running water and sewer, it is VERY different.

I think a cabin or even a hotel room would give you a much better sense of how it feels to LIVE there, rather than to camp there.

Malinda

P.S. We have been warm as toast in our TM in single digits multiple times, but everything else is not exactly something to look forward to.
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #19
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

We have only camped a few times in the cold, but mid November in the low 30's was the coldest. We used air conditioning foam (gray from hardware store) under all the flaps. For the large flap up near the front, we used leftover pink foam cut out of two large pieces to insulate that area. It's hard and we cut to fit in the space. We a 1500W twin ceramic heaters we use for heat in the main area. I also have two 200W small space heaters we use for the bedroom areas. When taking a shower, the 200W is nice to heat up the bathroom. Remember that there will be quite a bit of condensation each day to deal with. Mostly in the windows. We haven't been braved a trip longer than 3 days in cold weather. We did not have hook ups, so didn't need to worry about a hose line freezing. Good luck!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
Now here is a subject I can talk about! I grew up in Escondido but have lived in snow country for the past way too many years to mention, including Wyoming, Flagstaff and now Colorado. We lived in Flagstaff for 22 years and the only thing that could have convinced us to leave was our precious grandchildren. I couldn't recommend Flagstaff more highly.

However, you will not like it in a TM in the winter. You would most likely end up at the KOA which is ok but it is steep (as in an adventure just to get to the restrooms/laundry walking on ice), water and dumping will be an unending job, on and on. We have done it. It's not fun. It makes Sedona sound really good, Phoenix even better. If you have a house where you can walk around, throw another log on the fire, not even think about running water and sewer, it is VERY different.

I think a cabin or even a hotel room would give you a much better sense of how it feels to LIVE there, rather than to camp there.

Malinda

P.S. We have been warm as toast in our TM in single digits multiple times, but everything else is not exactly something to look forward to.
Thanks for the above, and PopBeavers' post too. I'm convinced. The TM will stay at home for this one.

Tom