TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
live4fun

Default Two Options For Installing (2) 100w Solar Panels for my TM

I have a 2020-2720 QS and have installed 2- 100ah of Lithium (LiPo) Batteries with Victron Monitor. I tested the battery install this year and everything is working perfect. We can easily rustic camp for 3-5 days on our loads with a 3 hr generator charge. Now, it's time to install the solar charge controller and panels. I have two good options on where to install (2 or 3) 100W Renogy panels.

1. Like most folks I had thought that on the rear roof above the battery compartment was best. PROs- Panels charge LiPo while driving. 16ft+ wire length to charge controller under sink. Easy place to install with space for 2 maybe 3 panels? Panels are invisible to most activities. CONs- Screwing or rivets, and glue through roof is always problematic. Clumsy looking wiring covers fastened to shell and arms of TM. I live on East Coast and travel a lot north and south, where >85% of the campgrounds are in shade when the TM is disconnected (no solar). Would require a portable solar for longer stays or more generator time. Adds an extra 50# of the weight of opening the roof.

2. I'm buying a new Honda Ridgeline TV with a Leer Cap and Thule rack above. My newest solar idea is to fabricate an aluminum frame for the solar panels which will mount atop the TV in the Thule rack in the rear. This frame will have locks and quick disconnect fasteners for easy lock in and removal.

PROs- Panels charge LiPo while driving. Solar rack is demountable from Thule and used as portable solar at campsite near TM (or left on TV). Additional solar power source stays with TV if power is need elsewhere. Can move panels to areas of campsite with sun and tilt them. No exposed wires on shell and all is underneath (easy wire install). No screws through roof. During at home parking, I have a cover for my TM where roof panels would be covered. Portable panel stays outside cover for constant charge on LiPo (and eliminates house extension cord plus TM 30a cord exposed on lawn). The charge controller can more easily be mounted in the front of the TM space and extended to batteries. Solar frame can be tilted if needed on roof or ground especially in winter season camping. Allows for easy expansion of a 3rd Renogy 100W panel (if controller is sized correctly). If I take my TV to the beach or a tailgate party, I would have AC power at my truck.

CONs- 24ft wire run from TM batteries to TV. Lose rack storage on Thule. Have to secure the wire leads well over the hitch to roof rack area.

Can anyone tell me that mounting the panels on the TM is a better idea than on the Thule rack on the TV? Did I miss something?? Other than the wire length, (which I could offset by using a thicker wire) the TV mounted solar panels appears to be a far better situation for someone living in shadier parts of the world and boondocking more. Any ideas on this mounting solution which is vastly different than most installs I have read on the forum would be very valuable to me. Please advise. I am grateful for all the constructive advice that you have. And I am very appreciative of all the great advice which is given about TMs here. thanks
live4fun is offline   Reply With Quote