TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
ameridan

Default Critter entry

Critters got into my trailer over the winter (they crawl up in between the walls grabbing onto the curtains I guess) so I will be installing a whole new set of curtains (tan is all Trailmanor sells now).

ALthough the factory does a great job of sealing the "box" ports like water line and gas line feedthroughs, the critters can crawl between the sides in a folded camper and gain entry. Other than parking the camper in a critter-proof garage, does any one have a good trick for keeping the critters out?

Someone mentioned an ultrasonic rodent mechanism, but I hear those are a waste of $$.

I would like to keep my Trailmanor, if I can solve this problem, but don't want to install new curtains every year! Perhaps I need to remove the curtains each fall?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
mtnguy

I store mine with mouse traps around, and some D-Con. Didn't catch any mice this year, but didn't find any evidence of critters, either.

I heard dryer fabric sheets spread around works, and also leaves the TM smelling nice.

Chap
Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

I hate spreading folklore that hasn't been tested, but I also heard that mothballs scattered around the entry points keeps some beasts at bay, too.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Bill & Lisa

after we had a mouse set up residence I put the solid mouse/rat bait cubes in various places (under the couch, in the storage locker, back corner of the cupboard etc. If a mouse eats the base he gets thirsty and leaves to find water, and water activates the poison (or something like that) and the mouse dies - outside of your unit!

When we brought our 5th wheel I put another set of bait blocks out as a preventative action. Just this last weekend when working around my heater and converter in the basement of the 5er, I saw a block had been nawed and little mice droppings. It was recent because there was no evidence in that area 5 days earlier when I was in there. Good news is, nothing of value was chewed on, no paper shredded, no mice urine all over. I think he was gone within a day of finding a way in. I added mothballs as well at the end of the weekend on a friends advice but I know the bait is helping.

Bill
Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
ameridan

Thanx all! I hate the smell of mothballs but outside the trailer around the perimeter entry points does sound like a great idea!

I like the solid bait idea, which is also what my wife has suggested for next winter and dryer sheets... I think I'll use a combination of all these ideas.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

I've never had that problem, I made what one would call bumper pads around the bed to keep critters out, we leave ours up all year. I spray around all the flaps and around the base on the outside with bug spray.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:05 AM   #7
Bill & Lisa

Ameridan,
The critters don't wait for winter to look to invade. The one that showed up in my 5er happened between weekends. The point? put out some solide bait blocks now instead of waiting til next winter. Otherwise as you can attest they can be a mess to clean up from!

Bill
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill -

Got a name for those bait blocks? They sound like a great solution.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Default Bait Blocks

Hi Bill,

We own a Hardware store and we sell a lot of these.

http://doitbest.com/Chemical+pestici...sku-707961.dib

And we also sell this one.

http://doitbest.com/Chemical+pestici...sku-723487.dib

Both see to do the trick and should be avaialble at most any hardware...

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
MidwestDave

Unhappy Mouse Bait

I can relate our experience this spring. We had set pouches of mouse killer around the TM along with the fabric sheets stuffed around all the cushions and mattresses. When we openned unit and cleaned found a lot of mouse poop and four dead mice (no smell). I can't say fabric softner sheets helped any. Keith's suggestion sounds worth trying. We store our TM next to a open field. I guess it would be the Marriot for Mice!

Midwest Dave
2006 Model 2720
2002 Dodge Grand caravan w/tow pkg.
N.W. Illinois