TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
klpauba

Default Gen-Pro "Sure Start" Soft Start Device Installation

This thread will detail the installation of the "Sure Start" soft start device from Gen-Pro. The device is a lower cost alternative that I'm testing to see if it's a reliable alternatives to the others (detailed in the thread at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=16315)

I ordered the unit via the genpro.biz web site on Wednesday and had it two days later. I hope to find the time in the next couple of weeks to install it and see if my new 2.3 KW Predator Generator can get the A/C going.

Shown below is a picture of what I received in the package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150816_132900.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	12087  
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Connectors all look female. I needed one male for the compressor wire taken off the run cap. You may need two. The black needed a butt splice but that was the Micro-Air unit. This one is different since are five wires to connect, not four like the Micro-Air and Dometic.

Compare the Gen-Pro wiring diagram in your picture to the Micro-Air (2nd page) and the Dometic - even the wording is the same.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
fourteener

Please let us know what the unit cost, and by all means, take lots of photos of the installation. It will be good to see what your outcome is?

Thanks!
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Also which AC you have (when you pull the cover from the roof unit there should be a plate like the one below it a lot of good information).

BTW the Gen-Pro seems to be rated at 20 FLA and both the Micro-Air and Dometic at 32 FLA. A Coleman Mach III like mine is 8.9 RLA (Rated Load Amps which is usually close to Full Load Amps - FLA and much less than LRA - Locked Rotor Amps which should be a max. So either should be fine.

ps there is also BCSC (10.3A) - this is the Branch-Circuit Selection Current and used to determine the size of components (switches, circuit breakers, relays, etc) in the circuite so 20 FLA should be enough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rooflabcrop.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	12094  
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
klpauba

Forteener, the device was $229 plus $16 shipping to my door.

Padgett, I'll be looking over the directions and schematics and propose the connections for review by you and other members.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve

Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
OregonTrail
Site Sponsor

It will be interesting to see your results with the Sure Start. We almost bought that unit because it was cheaper, but decided on the Easy Start from Micro Air ($318) because the manufacturer specifically stated in writing that it would do what we needed it to do and the rep from Sure Start would not make the same claim for his product.

Since installing the Easy Start in June, we've used it many times and it's been great. We now have several friends interested in installing one of these soft start units and they could each save another $90 if the Sure Start works as well as ours does.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

BTW probably should mention that while my Honda EU2000i will start and run the AC ecen from "ECO-throttle", it is running at about 91% of maximum continuous rating (1600W) to do it. If the AC is the only 120v device you need then it is fine.

After a few months of testing, I like the Westpro with another 200W/ 1.67A reservecapacity better for mild use and the Predator (600W/5A reserve) better for concurrent devices or charging the coach battery with the AC running.

Now those with the king bed in the rear should have a wider rear storage area, enough to hold something larger like a Yamaha EF2600 or 2800 if you can lift it in.

So if what you have is a Honda EU2000i then it will run a mildly modified 13,500 AC and maybe even a 15,000 but it will not be able to do much more.

OTOH since one can do the job then if you isolate the AC circuit then something light and less expensive like a EU1000i or a WH1000i can do just about anything else you want to do, no need to parallel.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
klpauba

Attached below is my proposed wiring diagram.

What do y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV AC with Sure Start Wiring Schematic.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	12101  

Old 08-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
klpauba

For reference, here's the installation instructions that were supplied with the Sure Start device.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SureStartInstructions.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	554.2 KB
ID:	12102  

Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Mine is a PTCR circuit and this is how I wired it: The Brown wire has a male spade to connect to the white wire removed from the run cap. The white wire has a female spade to connect to the run cap next to the yellow wire. The Orange wire has a female spade and connects to the other side of the run cap with the red wire. And the black wires are spliced together.

ps looks like the difference between the Gen-Pro and the Micro-Air is for the Gen-Pro the yellow lead on the run cap (power in) is redirected through the GP box and on the Micro-Air it is left in place.

(start capacitor is removed)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	colePTCR&ES.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	12103