TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
alphotodoc

Default Dual Batteries in a 2720 SD

I have read all of Mike Laupp's excellent posts regarding his modification of a 2720 SL so as to use 2 6v golf cart batteries. I would like to do the same in my 2720 SD but am concerned because the present battery box is to the extreme left hand side of the compartment. My concern is that the additional weight will be way off center and cause problems. I haven't seen any comments on this and am interested in anyones experience of comments.
Thanks
Al
Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I would not be concerned about this. Most of the battery weight will be added to the tongue weight, and thus, carried by your vehicle. Even so, there is alot more variation in weight when you are loading the TM. When you carry a full tank of water, for example, you have at least another 160 lbs. A battery is only about 50 lbs.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
alphotodoc

Dave
My concern was the swaying that might occur because of this additional 70 or 80 #s. I guess your saying that shouldn't be a problem?
Al
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

We have two 6 Volt 200 Amp AGM type batteries (140 Lbs.) in the back of ours. Since adding a second battery, I've never experienced any difference in the handling of our TM. I think the only thing you want to keep in mind is how you load your trailer in addition to the batteries. The bulk of our heavy stuff sits in the cabinets close to the axle and forward of the axle in the open space around the door and couch.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I too have two 6-volt batteries in the back compartment of my 2720SL, and have never experienced one bit of sway, but they are more towards the center of the trailer. But in your case, "all the way to the side of the tongue" is actually probably pretty close to the middle of the axle anyway.

But no, I would not worry about it. 70-80 extra pounds of battery is not significant in my opinion. Like I said, you add 160 pounds to the the far driver side when you fill the water tank. Another 48 pounds on that side when the toilet is full. Another 20 lbs when you stock the fridge. Point being, do you notice any difference when all of the above things are full vs. when they are empty? I don't.

I don't know how evenly the trailer is loaded when empty, i.e. is there more weight on the right wheel than the left. The factory may have already compensated for the additional wet weights mentioned above when they designed the unit, and intentionally made the driver's side a bit lighter with that in mind.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
alphotodoc

Guys
In duing my "due diligence" on this topic I ran across an interesting comparative chart of many of the 6 v golf cart batteries available. Might help someone some day. Thanks for all the input.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...omparison.html