TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
larrylifelines

Default Newbie questions about plumbing stuff

I can't find the answers to these questions in previous threads, probably because I'm the only one so dumb that I can't figure them out myself. So, suitably humbled, I'd like some help with these:

1. The manual seems to say you can't use the water heater unless you fill (totally, I assume) the drinking water tank. That doesn't seem logical, but what's the truth about preparing to use the water heater? (Full hookups) Where is the hot water tank, which I seem to remember holds 6 gallons? How do I fill it without filling the whole 20-gal. cubic tank?

2. There being no black-water holding tank in TMs, where does flushed toilet, er, flushings go before being emptied into the sewer? And, about the toilet, can someone please walk me through the use of that (Thetford) thing? For example, do I pour water into the toilet bowl until the needle on the gauge is on the blue line? And then, when it goes higher on the gauge, I...what? I do know about adding chemical for solid waste, and that most authorities recommend using only RV/marine TP. But other assistance would be much appreciated.

3. What are those little petcock-type drain valves near the sewer-hose connection?

The DW and I are feeling pretty good about learning most of the TM's systems on our first outing this past weekend (5/6 - 5/9/11) in central NY. Just need a little help with the water stuff. Many thanks.

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
RogerR

The how water heater must be full to operate!!! You can fill it by connecting to a hose ( city water connection) and then opeining the hot water taps witht the heater OFF. Make sure the little switch in the heater compartment is OFF. It is a tiny little rocker switch and even has a safety pin through it. Take the outside water heater covers off and look around till you see it.
When the tank is full you can test it with propane (read the tutorial) . If the burner works then try it on 110 volt AC.

Re the Thetford toilet. There are many threads but the basic is to put the shut off slide on the floor all the way in then add water till it gets to the charged line, about 1.5 gallons. You know it is full enough to work when it flushes.

The works are simple, the pump pulls water from the bottom to flush. It just goes around in a circle untill the waste tank is full. Read the site and avouid to much paper. To empty, attach the TM waste hose to the dump pipe, go inside and pull the dump valve on the floor, go out side and pull the dump valve there. Use the grey water tank to flush the toilet down the hose. Go inside and fill the toilet if you can, cycle the pump and dump again.

Heres a idea that worked for me, when you get to the dump station ask someone to show you how it works. Lots of people would be glad to show you the ropes.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
TexasCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylifelines View Post
1. The manual seems to say you can't use the water heater unless you fill (totally, I assume) the drinking water tank. That doesn't seem logical, but what's the truth about preparing to use the water heater? (Full hookups) Where is the hot water tank, which I seem to remember holds 6 gallons? How do I fill it without filling the whole 20-gal. cubic tank?

2. There being no black-water holding tank in TMs, where does flushed toilet, er, flushings go before being emptied into the sewer? And, about the toilet, can someone please walk me through the use of that (Thetford) thing? For example, do I pour water into the toilet bowl until the needle on the gauge is on the blue line? And then, when it goes higher on the gauge, I...what? I do know about adding chemical for solid waste, and that most authorities recommend using only RV/marine TP. But other assistance would be much appreciated.

3. What are those little petcock-type drain valves near the sewer-hose connection?
(1) quick answer is you want the hot water heater filled with water before starting. When you connect to city water, you won't need to use the 20-gal drinking water tank at all. I open the hot & cold faucets at the kitchen and bathroom sinks and turn on the city water (after flushing my hose). I can quickly close the cold faucets and need to wait for the water to fill the hot water heater & come out the hot water faucets. Then I can start the hot water heater. If you're dry-camping, then you'll need to add enough water in your drinking water tank to charge your hot water heater & still have enough to use

(2) The Thetford recirculates what you're calling the black water. There's a strainer in it to keep solids from recirculating. Lots of posts on the subject so I won't go further. When I fill the toilet, I don't go by the dial, since sometimes it gets stuck (tapping it will free it most times). Instead I add three gallons, add my chemicals, and run the toilet to mix. When the dial shows "full", you'll need to dump. Pulling the dump valve under the toilet (in the bathroom) will give you some "emergency room". Then you pull the valve under the camper to dump to sewer. Then you close both & recharge with more water & chemical. I also like to dump my gray water after dumping the Thetford toilet, to displace/rinse water in my dump hose. Then I walk the hose to drain any standing water in the hose.

(3) The drain cocks you see are the low point drain valvess for draining the water pipes when you're done camping. The two in the back are for the bathroom sink & shower (hot & cold water lines). The two in the front are for draining the city water/pressurized water line & the fresh water tank. When I disconnect, I'll open all drains and the hot & cold faucets at the kitchen & bathroom sinks to help drain the lines. You'll drain the 6-gal hot water heater this way. DON'T FORGET TO SHUT IT OFF BEFORE DRAINING!

Happy camping!
-John
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Ken - see here for a virtual tour of the toilet:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8112

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
larrylifelines

Default Newbie questions

Thanks for the help. My TM is folded up and in a different location, but I hope to take it for another weekend outing this week, and will put your advice into practice.

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, water heater