TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Mr Geek

Default Supplemental Heaters - Who's using what?

First, forgive me if this topic has been discussed elsewhere or is old news...

I own a 2005 2619 and usually camp about 6 to 8 times per year or more. A favorite trip is from San Diego, CA (Home) to Moab, Utah in October and sometimes in December for Jeep runs. These trips typically last a couple weeks for some quality R & R time in a few nice RV parks along the way.

After a few trips in some pretty cold weather (see image below) I learned pretty early on that having a nice electric heater to supplement the onboard Suburban gas heater can really save $$$ on butane and many times ends up being my sole source for heat on any given day.

So far I have used a small but powerful 1500W ceramic blower type heater that I place in the hallway just in from of the back bed blowing towards the front and sometimes assist with a 6" ocilliating fan to help distribute the warm air. It works very well on most trips that are above 50-degrees or so I can use that heater without using the Suburban gas heater at all.

However I would prefer something a bit safer and less toxic smelling. The heater puts out an odor smelling like pretty potent plastic fumes and I am not fully comfortable with what those fumes might be. It's never changed, it always had that odor. Plus the heater can be noisy at night BUT not nearly as loud as the stock Suburban gas heater built-in to the 2619. So the main concerns for me are fire saftey and fumes.

Recently a fellow RVer and good friend mentioned that he bought an oil filled, radiator type heater that he really likes and uses in his 36 foot RV. This year we have a Moab trip coming up in December/January so I decided to buy an oil filled radiator type heater and see how it works out. I got a 1500W/900W/600W Delonghi Dragon series (TRD0715T) for around $60 from Amazon. I have been testing the unit at home and am very impressed with just how cleanly and quietly it puts out fantastic heat, LOTS and LOTS of heat. One aspect people seem to dislike about the other ceramic or orange glowing element blower type heaters is what they can do to the air, by drying it out and altering (burning) the oxygen in subtle ways because of the way they produce heat. These oil filled radiator type heaters don't have those problems. Initially when new they need to be "burned-in" to remove a protective coating they apply for shipping, but after that it's odor free, works great.

They aren't necessarily any cheaper to run than other types of heaters BUT in every RV park I have stayed in the power is a flat rate included in the space fee, so while camping using electic heaters makes lots of "Cents", literally.

I plan on putting this unit at the end of the dinette. The Dragon models primary blow heat out of the top using well designed heat pipe on the sides. That way they also stay relativley cool on the sides, allowing safe placement adjacent to the dinette. This heater was designed with saftey in mind, I like that, especially for RVing. I also plan on using a small 6" oscillating fan set on the dinette table blowing across the top of the heater to help distribute the warm around around the RV.

It's probably obvious I am very pleased with this new heater for winter tirps in my TM. It much safer and cleaner, with a touch of old fashioned functionality of silent radiantiator heat..

I opened this thread because I imagine other people have favorite ways they supplement their heating in their TMs during the winter time, and it might be interesting to see what people are using, either happy or unhappy with and share their thoughts. With wintertime bearing down this might be a timely topic for some.

Take care and as always, Happy Camping!

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cedar City Cold.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	5231  
Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm very surprised that your electric heater smells after many hours of use. Most of them smell for the first few minutes, but after that, the smell abates.

I'm never very popular when I say this, but any 1500-watt electric heater puts out exactly the same amount of heat as any other 1500-watt electric heater. Every bit of electricity is converted to heat, so the same amount of electricity generates the same amount of heat. None of the frills - ceramic, quartz, oil, imitation flame look, or an Amish fireplace mantel - create any more heat. But they cost more, which is why they are so heavily advertised. And once he has paid extra for those things, the buyer thinks he must be getting more heat. It's the psychology of advertising, and it works.

A good fan-circulated portable electric heater (as opposed to a radiant heater) can be had for less than $25. To me, "good" means
1. A quiet multispeed fan
2. Thermostatic control
3. Internal overheat shutoff switch (shuts it off if airflow is blocked and the thing overheats)
4. Tip-over switch (shuts it off if the cat knocks it off the countertop, for example)
5. Conveniently small size.
6. Perhaps oscillation, though I'm not convinced that is really needed.

An earlier discussion took place here. I'm sure there is more.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6360

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
cochise

When we first got our Elkmont 24, we did not have a working heater. The one “installed” by TM and checked by Texas RV Center prior to delivery was not working, not even installed. But we did not know all of that in the beginning. So we went to Wallmart and got an electric heater with a small blower and some sort of thermostatic control. Since 99% of our trips are with full hook up it was fine this way.

However it turned out that it was very difficult to adjust the 1500W heater to give off the correct amount of heat. Either it was not enough or we would wake up hot hot hot.

So off I went to Lowe’s and got a Line Voltage Thermostat normally used for baseboard heaters. I build a wooden box, installed a single outlet on one side and the line voltage thermostat on the front side, and attached a 6’ cord to the receptacle. The thermostat has only 2 wires, one black and one red. The black is attached to the feeding cord, and the red to the hot side of the outlet. The white wire from the cord goes to the other terminal on the outlet receptacle. The thermostat runs on 2 AA batteries. Very simple and very effective. We turn the heater to the highest setting and the thermostat to whatever temp we want, plug the heater into the box, and the other cord into the wall, and we have nice heat controlled by the thermostat. Because of the 6’ cord and the 6’ cord on the heater we can elevate the thermostat so it is off the floor and at a level where thermostats are most often mounted. The whole set-up goes under the seat when not in use.

The heater was about $ 18.00 but the thermostat was $ 45.00, but well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	5232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0044.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	5233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0045.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	5234  
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Ceramic Heater

I used a very quiet multi-speed ceramic heater from Walmart. I found out that I needed to run a separate extension cord, if I wanted to fire up the coffee pot and the heater at the same time. The key was QUIET. The built in heater was noisy, very noisy at night.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
PopBeavers

On a related topic, don't overlook the possibility of using two 1500 watt heaters, if the power pedestal will allow it.

When I have the TM plugged into the 30 amp socket, I can only run a single 1500 watt heater.

However, if the power pedestal also has a 20 am 120 volt socket, and it is on a different circuit than the 30 amp socket, then i have run a short heavy duty extension cord through the seal of the upper front shell and bottom shell to run a second 1500 watt heater.

That gave me 3000 watts of electric heat.

AS to odor, I have never had any after the original one hour burn in period that I used at home when they were new.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Mr Geek

Chochise, I really like the application of the line voltage thermostat in your TM, great idea.

Pop, I like that aux power run. I run scanner antenna wires under the seals but I never thought of adding a little additional power capacity.

On the toxic odor from my Wal-Mart $25 Lasko ceramic heater, I too am very surprised the smell is still present after years of use. The smell has never lessened over time, which makes me think there is some functional component in this heater that when heated is giving off these questionable fumes. It's not electrical component type odor, it's like nothing this geek has ever smelled. I have never worried much about it, smells don't bother me much, but I don't much care for the smell nor do I like the lack of an automatic turn off if the unit is knocked over, only over heat protection. I know there are better heaters of this type, mainly this I am curious on what types of heaters people use and like.

I fully agree with the equal heat for equal wattage principal, it's physics, can't argue with that...most times. BUT I also think some designs leave too much heat in or at the heater, the heat is not well distributed or radiated. In other words, some heaters and heater types just work (distribute the heat made) better than others of equal power for different environments. These radiator heaters are very good at space heating which is what my TM is, it's pretty much an ideal application for this type of heater. Winter testing will tell.

I enjoy comfortably outfitting my TM and the upcoming trips this winter should be in some very cold places like Moab, Utah and a good test for these oil filled radiator type heaters that many people swear by. Based on actual user reviews of this type and model of heater (Delonghi Dragon Series) and input from RV friends, it seems the 100% clean and silent way these radiating space heaters work could end up being a very nice "fireplace" at the end of the dinette, a nice location on cold winter days. I am probably like many folks here, I gotta see this to believe it, so we will see.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Oh. Well, if you are looking for a fireplace mod, check out the photos in this post, and the couple following it.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8317#post28317

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Two weekends ago, ran two twin ceramic heaters by Holmes and they did fine on low (30 amp at campground).

I got them at target on a clearance special many years ago for less than $20 (for both, packaged with two twin heaters). Model HCH4166, 1500W. Has a pretty good thermostat and two speeds. No smell whatsoever since we first used a few years ago, but I do clean them with some compressed air in the fall.

Ran one in the front all night long for the kids (11 and 12) by setting up on a crate (I wouldn't do this with pets or young kids) to keep off the ground and about 4 feet from the end of the bed. The temp outside got down to 40 degrees and the temp on the indoor/outdoor weather station said it never got below 65 inside where they are at. The kids were fine in sleeping bags and never complained. I bumped up the thermostat the next night and it never got below 67 up front. (I thought 65 was a bit cool when I got up to check on them the first night.

Also, we use foam air conditioner insulation in the spaces under the flaps and pink foam in the larger space up front.

In the back bedroom, used the other heater on the TV stand. Didn't know the temp, but it was perfect for me both nights. We closed the curtain to keep in the heat so that it did not have to run too often. In the morning, moved the heater in the bedroom to the bathroom for a few minutes to heat up the space prior to taking a shower. Lovely.

Brought way too many extra sleeping bags and blankets. May be different in cooler weather, but we'll be using these heaters again. We find the propane heater too loud, plus if you have electric, why not use it?

Hope that helps!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Mr Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Oh. Well, if you are looking for a fireplace mod, check out the photos in this post, and the couple following it.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8317#post28317

Bill
Nice little MOD! Added a pound or two but who's counting. Beautiful photos, thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Brutus

We run a basic 1500W ceramic heater with thermostat, tip-over safety, etc etc. Works great and doesn't wake me up every time it comes on, unlike the Suburban....