TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Queeniereads

Default Select Comfort in a 3124KS TM? More than you ever wanted to know!

For four years we have been "aching" to put a Select Comfort air bed in our TM 3124KS. In anticipation of our first camping trip in two years, we took apart our 10-year KING and carried it down two flights of stairs, through a screen door, across the back yard and into the TM where we reassembled it. We closed the TM....well, not really! You were right -- the dense foam and plastic corners were too high. So, back upstairs it went, after we thoroughly discussed the pros and cons of cutting off 2 inches of foam and plastic corner. So, we pondered the possibilities and started to close down, putting the wardrobe down and the chair in place for the slide. AHA! Looked like there was enough room to pack down with twin beds on their sides in the aisle, extending from the wardrobe to the chair. But, we would have to move the matresses everytime we towed! Would we ruin the matresses? How would we keep them clean?
So, here is our option for the 3124KS. We bought a split king set (cheaper than two extended twins). We bought the 5000 series but you could easily drop back in number. You do not want them thicker than the 5000. We assembled them on the bed platform and, as the directions instructed, we pumped it to 20. Little did we know that our bed upstairs was on the same wireless frequency and was also pumping up -- we found that out at midnight when we collapsed onto a rock-hard bed. LOL
Before closing the TM, we have to pull the 2 beds off the platform and put them, edge-up into the aisle. We discovered that it is easier if we disconnect the pump and plug the hoses with the caps they send. It is probably also easier if you inflate your mattresses more than we do and we have deicded for the sake of the beds, if we are going to have the camper in "down" position for very long, we will inflate them past 50. We sleep at closer to 30 and they sag when on end. The other hint is to buy 2 slightly different twin sheets (or, in our case, extended twins) so you can telll which is your bed and which belongs to the other person -- especially important if you sleep at different numbers. I got dots and hubby got stripes from Penney's coordinated collection.
Was it worth it? YES!!!!! We got a great night's sleep! By the way, we tried this out at the CT Ralley of the NEw England Trailblazers. We had a great time. If you have never been to a local rally -- try it! We give it a thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!

Queeniereads
Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queeniereads View Post
Little did we know that our bed upstairs was on the same wireless frequency and was also pumping up -- we found that out at midnight when we collapsed onto a rock-hard bed. LOL
My wife has been really wanting to buy one of those beds for our house. I now wonder what the range is on the remote, and if the frequencies can be user changed. I could just imagine someone in a close proximity campground changing their mattress, and changing all their neighbors too at the same time.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Queeniereads

My neighbor has a Select Comfort in the next house over on a city lot. Our remote did NOT change her bed. But, we wondered about other RVs. In all honesty, we do not change our pressure more than every few months, so I doubt we will have a problem. We considered ordering the wired remotes if it becomes a probelm. We sort of "smiled" when the image of our camping neighbors on Select Comforts crossed our minds. Queen
Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
markandanne

Queeniereads -

This is off topic on the beds but I noticed that you now have a TV and I must have missed that post. Welcome back to being able to take the TM out of the driveway!

Anne
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
Queeniereads

If you can imagine what the last 2 years without a tow vehicle have been like -- two forlorn people standing at the kitchen window gazing longingly at the TM in the driveway. We had to snug it up against the garage in order to get the rest of our cars in the driveway, so we could not even open the TM to sniff inside. Yes, we are out of the driveway and back in the camping mode. Whew! Sure felt great to pull out last Friday and head for the rally in CT. THanks!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Doug W.

We might have to try this after my shoulder heals. We LOVE our Select Comfort. I thought there was no way to get one to fit in our TM.