TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Smokeybear5150

Default Smokeybear has a potty question

What is the difference between the toilet in the TM and the one that a 5th wheel would have...does the TM's not have a black water tank? Please clue me in...

Thanks!

Smokeybear5150
Old 03-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

It is a recirculating toilet. It does not draw from the fresh water tank. This way you only use 3 gal of fresh water and chemicals.
Cheri
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri is exactly right. A recirculating toilet does NOT draw fresh water from the plumbing system on every flush. When you first arrive at your campsite, you "charge" it by putting a couple gallons of fresh water in the black water tank, along with a small bottle of blue deodorant liquid (there are several kinds, actually, including powder and tablets). The toilet flushes by pumping some of the deodorized blue liquid back through the bowl. From then on, nothing more goes into the black water tank but waste. With this arrangement, as Cheri says, you don't use up your precious supply of fresh water.

The black water tank is built into the toilet, rather than being a separate tank as in a 5th wheel. But just like the 5th wheel tank, when it is full, you dump it through a slinky hose and an outside valve. Exactly the same.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
MidwestDave

Red face Potty info

I believe the total capacity for toilet is 6 gal. A little more if handle below seat is pulled. No idea what a 5th wheel uses or capacity.

Midwest Dave
Northwestern Illinois
2006-2720
Old 03-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
PopBeavers

I had an odor problem once with the TM toilet.

We had no opportunity to dump the tanks on the way home. I put the TM in the garage very late Sunday night, with plans to pull it out the next weekend so I could take it to a local place to dump the tanks.

Well, things happened and the TM was in the garage for two weeks. BIG MISTAKE.

As to the capacity, we can usually go four days without dumping any of the tanks if we are frugal with the use of water and the toilet. DW with her bad knees is allowed to use the TM toilet any time she wants. All guests, family and myself are obliged to use the campground restrooms as much as possible. But in the middle the night it is OK. This works well for us.

It is pretty easy to convince guests and family to abide by my rule. The penalty for excessive use of the TM toilet is they get to dump the tanks. No one wants that task.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Freedom

The only time we ever had any problem with the toilet was when we used another brand of deodorant. As long as we use Thetford it's OK.