TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
Steverino

Question Insurance Cost

Hi all,

Needing a sanity check here:

I just received my first insurance bill for 6 months coverage on our TM. We went with Travelers because they have our home & auto coverage. They want $224 for collision & comprehensive. This seems awfully high to me, but I don't have much to compare it to.

I should note we have good driving records and no loss history.

Anyone think this rate is out of line? Should I be a-shoppin'? I've heard of Good Sam and that they offer coverage. Would we be better with an RV-specific insurance company?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Sounds high to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Hi all,

Needing a sanity check here:

I just received my first insurance bill for 6 months coverage on our TM. We went with Travelers because they have our home & auto coverage. They want $224 for collision & comprehensive. This seems awfully high to me, but I don't have much to compare it to.

I should note we have good driving records and no loss history.

Anyone think this rate is out of line? Should I be a-shoppin'? I've heard of Good Sam and that they offer coverage. Would we be better with an RV-specific insurance company?

Thanks,

Steve
I have all my insurance through USAA, good driving record etc., and I'm paying about $95 for 6 months of coverage on an '02 TrailManor 2720SL. IIRC, original insured value in '02 was around $21K and I have comprehensive ($200 deductible) and collision ($500 deductible) on the trailer.

You might do better with Good Sam over the year since I believe they allow you to do seasonal coverage.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
BobRederick

I got 1 year, $500 deductable from State Farm for $345 on an '04 3326. They have all of my insurance business and I am sure they are giving me a special deal .... yeah, real sure.
Bob
Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Verify that you are not paying for "duplicate coverage." I have never owned a trailer that cost me more than $150/annually. With $500 deductible, you only need collision coverage. Comprehensive, property & liability, theft, etc. are covered by your auto insurance when you are towing. When it is stored at your home, those coverages should be covered by your home owners policy.

I have been covered by State Farm for more than 18 years, and have had a Coleman tent trailer, a TM 2619 and now a 28' travel trailer covered by them under the above conditions. Don't only shop for insurance, but make sure your agent knows what you are insuring and what insurance you really need.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Steverino

As a follow up...

I contacted Good Sam for a rate quote. They want $99 for six months' insurance on our '99 2720. I also had them quote our two vehicles, and the combined TM & vehicles rate resulted in a $73 increase for 6 months, plus better coverage limits.

GMAC (General Motors) is the insurer that writes for Good Sam. I will probably go with this deal, but will be asking them who underwrites for GMAC. Incidentally, GMAC insurance requires that repair shops only use factory parts - no imitations.

This does require a Good Sam membership ($19), but it appears that the club has some worthwhile benefits, too.

Steve