TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mendoza View Post
The Trailmanor brochure states that the Elkmont 24 has a base hitch weight of 297lbs. How do you get to 620# - what am i missing?

Elkmont 24 - Approximate Base Dry Weight 2498 lbs.
Base Hitch Weight 297 lbs.
Approx. Dry Weight w/Value Package 3000 lbs.
Base weights are with zero options and no other loads.
The approx dry weight with value package of 3000# is closer to reality.
Our typical loaded weight is closer to 3800#. So we must have added about 800# of stuff to the trailer.

Anyway, let's say the tongue weight with value package is more like 350#.

Our hitch weight includes two full 40# propane tanks right up on the tongue. So that's 430# total.
(EDIT: Or is that a total of 40# propane, I forget. Adjust accordingly)

Also there's lot's of storage space under the bed and in the front closets that goes equally to the tongue as to the trailer axle. I would say we put 300# in there easily, so half of that is another 150# on the tongue or 580# total on the tongue.

And then there's the remaining 400# of food, tools, books, computers and stuff that gets distributed further back in the trailer, of which 40# must end up on the tongue, making 620# total on the tongue.

All this is pretty rough, but it's not hard to do. Of the 800# we've added to the trailer, roughly 280# has ended up on the tongue.

And by the way, 3800# - 620# is 3180#, well below the Trailer's GAWR, so we've never had problems there. Just problems with the Tacoma's weight ratings.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
brulaz

Oh, and more specifically. I've measured all my TV and trailer weights 3 different times at 3 different CAT scales, and have got close 620# tongue weight each time.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
Vic Mendoza

brulaz -

This is discouraging! I was counting on the lighter tongue weight. So if I understand correctly, I would have but two choices. Buy a full size truck or use a weight distributing hitch??

Thanks again for taking the time to clarify.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mendoza View Post
This is discouraging! I was counting on the lighter tongue weight. So if I understand correctly, I would have but two choices. Buy a full size truck or use a weight distributing hitch??
With something like the Tacoma (1100# payload) I definitely needed a weight distribution hitch. Any time you put 620# behind the rear axle of a vehicle you're going to be taking weight off of the front axle. It may not be so significant with the heavier F150 (2000# payload), but I'm still using a WDH.

Even if you could get your tongue weight down to 350#, a WDH would probably be a good idea with the Tacoma. It's really only the real BIG heavy duty trucks that can get away with not having one IMHO.

And maybe you can manage your trailer weight, tongue weight and TV payload better than we can. We carry lots of stuff!

And also we travel a lot, so I don't want to go over any of the weight specs. If I was just going a few hundred miles a few weekends a year, I would be less concerned.

It really is a function of the Elkmont 24's design. That axle is pushed way back putting lots of the weight on the tongue. I doubt that the dual axle Elkmont 26 or the shorter Elkmont 22 have the same high % of GVW on the tongue.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
cochise

When I first got our Elkont 24, I took it to the scales. It has a GVWR of 4230 lb, and on the scale it weighed in at 3640 without any of our stuff in it. The tongue weight was measured to be 640 lb. Texas RV that sold us the Elkmont were smart enough to “recommend” a WDH, and that was first mounted on the Hyundai Santa Fe which had a tow limit of 3500 lb and tongue weight of 350 lb, but they knew that but chose not to say anything about it to us. We did not know the truth about the Elkmont at that time. After the trip to the scales we got the Silverado 6 cyl with the tow package and the tow/haul. We used it with the WDH and it worked great, but than we did not bring a lot of stuff that others do. I did have a 70 lb generator on the truck, but right behind the cab and other than that only a tool box, a grill and some pieces of wood for the stabilizers.

But yes it is very deceiving when the weight is said to be less than 2500 lb (2498 in the very color full brochures and an aprx. Weight on the tongue of 320 lb). But we all know that numbers are SO easy to manipulate.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
hartsafyre

Thank you all for taking time to respond. There is so much to absorb and sort out. If you have more to share, and want to, I'm reading every word and doing my studying.

Oooooooo, I just thought of something! I'll have to store it, and can't at my house, and it won't fit in a regular garage. Storage will be outdoors, not even under roof ::sigh:: - what do you folks (that have to store outside) do? What type of cover? What about protecting the tires from UVA/UVB rays. Do the 'special' covers advertised really work?

(I love this place!

Maria
2011 Toyota Tacoma, factory tow package
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #27
brulaz

Ours stays outside. Just like our cars. But then I rarely wash the thing also, so maybe that puts it in perspective. OK, I'll be honest, I've never washed it.

Also our trailer has never been stored where it gets snowed on. I think I would cover it then to keep snow from building up on the roof.

My guess is that the tires will have to replaced in 5-6 years irrespective of whether they are covered.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #28
Bigbit

I can't store mine in my driveway due to a city ordinance. Thus it is stored at the local RV storage for $64 per month. The other issue with this is that there is no power receptacle in the storage facility, so if left parked for any period of time, the battery will drain due to small parasitic loads like the CO detector and radio face plate. I solved this by installing a kill switch on the battery so that there is no power drain at all.

When I am going to camp, I stop by the storage yard the night before, switch on the battery, fire up the fridge on propane, and she's nice and cold by the next afternoon when we're ready to go!