TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
dw8ite

Default Added Storage Compartment to Trailer Tongue

Do you need convenient storage for items like your gloves, wheel chocks, stabilizer pads, rags or tongue wheel. Here's a simple solution. I found a common triangular shaped plastic oil change pan which perfectly fits the triangular open area behind the tongue jack. This is IF you have the TM swing away tongue. You will need two of these pans; one for the bottom and one for the top. http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-05075-Tr.../dp/B000CIRAGC This will provide you with a 11"x11"x11"x15" deep storage compartment. Here's how:

Bottom:
Cut away the front corner of the bottom pan so that it fits relatively close to the jack post (leave room for the larger diameter of the wheel socket). Drill nine holes through the lip of the bottom pan and the tongue. Fasten the pan to the bottom of the tongue with self-tapping hex head screws. Drill 2 or 3 weep holes in the bottom so rain water can drain, although it is a relatively dry storage.

Top:
Cut a hole slightly larger than the tongue post diameter in the front corner of the top pan. Slide the pan over the jack post and you are done.

The bottom is stationary, while the top lifts and rotates out of the way while accessing the storage compartment. There are any number of ways to fasten the top while in transit; bunge cord, straps, bailing wire, etc. Photos of compartment can be seen at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dlw8ite...jogqa38uaW3AE#

You now have a convenient storage you didn't have before. I'd be interested to hear what you are planning to store in yours. Be sure to keep it light. Anything you add adds directly to your tongue weight.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
OffToDaRaces

Default added compartment to trailer tongue

I had a different idea for storing small, light weight items on the trailer tongue. I moved the battery box to the left side of the channel where it is mounted. This gave an empty space of almost 20" long. I got a suitable sized "dry Box" from tool store, and can now store: small flashlight, wheel chocks, bubble level etc.

The box is made of heavy duty plastic, so it won't rust, hasps are rust resistant, and the items can be accessed without opening the trailer first.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Nicely done!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:06 PM   #4
happycoqui

Default Can you post a picture? The link does not work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
Do you need convenient storage for items like your gloves, wheel chocks, stabilizer pads, rags or tongue wheel. Here's a simple solution. I found a common triangular shaped plastic oil change pan which perfectly fits the triangular open area behind the tongue jack. This is IF you have the TM swing away tongue. You will need two of these pans; one for the bottom and one for the top. http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-05075-Tr.../dp/B000CIRAGC This will provide you with a 11"x11"x11"x15" deep storage compartment. Here's how:

Bottom:
Cut away the front corner of the bottom pan so that it fits relatively close to the jack post (leave room for the larger diameter of the wheel socket). Drill nine holes through the lip of the bottom pan and the tongue. Fasten the pan to the bottom of the tongue with self-tapping hex head screws. Drill 2 or 3 weep holes in the bottom so rain water can drain, although it is a relatively dry storage.

Top:
Cut a hole slightly larger than the tongue post diameter in the front corner of the top pan. Slide the pan over the jack post and you are done.

The bottom is stationary, while the top lifts and rotates out of the way while accessing the storage compartment. There are any number of ways to fasten the top while in transit; bunge cord, straps, bailing wire, etc. Photos of compartment can be seen at:

You now have a convenient storage you didn't have before. I'd be interested to hear what you are planning to store in yours. Be sure to keep it light. Anything you add adds directly to your tongue weight.
happycoqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:07 PM   #5
happycoqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToDaRaces View Post
I had a different idea for storing small, light weight items on the trailer tongue. I moved the battery box to the left side of the channel where it is mounted. This gave an empty space of almost 20" long. I got a suitable sized "dry Box" from tool store, and can now store: small flashlight, wheel chocks, bubble level etc.

The box is made of heavy duty plastic, so it won't rust, hasps are rust resistant, and the items can be accessed without opening the trailer first.
Can you send me a picture?
Old 02-06-2023, 06:09 PM   #6
happycoqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post

Bottom:

Top:

I have been looking for something like you are mentioning! What a great idea! Can you send a picture to see how it came out? The link does not work.... Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2023, 07:34 PM   #7
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Dude! Give them a minute to reply! Not that they will, since it doesn’t look like they’ve been on here since 2011…
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:53 PM   #8
happycoqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Dude! Give them a minute to reply! Not that they will, since it doesn’t look like they’ve been on here since 2011…
Hello Shane826,
When I posted the first message, it did not show for some reason. That is why I tried it a second time.