TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
JessWD

Default Some basic Kindergarten level questions.

This may be premature - since we have yet to see our first TM in person.
May be able to on March 12, as we are tentatively planing on driving the 135 miles south to Anaheim to visit the TM dealer there, Custom RV.

Here is a totally subjective question I only thought of yesterday while waiting at a traffic light. A Class B (?) type that is one unit, but has the front cab
same shape and design as on a pick up or regular truck; but with a motor-home type back with just one axle in the rear - - drove across and it had advertising telling that it was a rental unit.

It started me to thinking - depending upon how frequently you would use such an RV (a BIG unknown) - over time, would it be cheaper to rent
something like this than to invest in monthly payments of (it seems) $18K up to $35K (the latter out of our reach financially.)

But here are some basic curiosity questions we are discussing, in the light of us thinking we may be future travel trailer (or TM ) owners and users:

1) How much insurance is recommended for a TM?

2) Knowing the 55 mph speed limit for towing, and being very well acquainted with the never-ending ribbon of highway in the great plane states and across many sections of the U.S. - particularly in the West - I'm wondering if anyone feels comfortable sharing what speed they generally travel while towing their TM? I assume you would feel fairly comfortable (safe?) traveling at this speed. Over 60? Now days, driving 55 mph feels like 35 mph when you're destination is hundreds of miles or thousand or more.

3) How crucial is it to plan ahead: where you will spend the night / where you wish to park.

4) Next to this: how far in advance must you make phone reservations at RV camping grounds? Like KOA, or other RV parking. Do they require a credit card deposit over the phone?

5) How many use Wal Mart parking lots on any regular basis? I am obviously talking of a fairly long trip.

Side bar: Our oldest daughter lives in Missoula, Montana. Our son lives Hillsboro, OR; my wife's only living brother lives in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho; so these represent places we would obviously visit, and require - in a car - two days drive (to Montana) from past experience. Driving straight through is
now a nightmare experience, we now delegate to the past waste-basket!

6) How can you tell where it is illegal to park overnight; just to sleep?
Dry camping situation. If "caught" or considered illegal by an authority,
do they give tickets or usually just wake you up and tell you you cannot
park there? Has anyone experiened this?

7) What is the greatest NO, NO! to be conscious of when towing a TM or any travel trailer for that matter. Other than strong winds or driving on ice - - we've lived in NJ, VA, TX, WY, and MT - so we know about snow and ice
by MUCH personal experience.

Side bar: Some highways are so narrow, or have warnings to stay off soft shoulders; so if you had a blow out and had no idea how many miles the next pull-off or safe area might be.....what is the best thing to do? Gamble on your life while changing the tire? Have your wife stand with flags or
flash light 100 feet behind to warn oncoming traffic?

I'm looking for things you experienced travelers would individually or collectively agree would be: Whatever....."NEVER do this!" kinds of things.

Now you have some real "experience" and "gut-level" items to consider.
I don't mean to sound.....or BE....facetious. For us, these are practical concerns.

Thank you, once more! for your patience and kindness in any replies you might wish to make.

JessWD