TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
dalberdash

Default Archives

How does one get to the Archives? I've clicked on the link now several times; looking for previous postings regarding my recent posting; and it does nothing but return to the main forum screen.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you want to find your previous posts, you can access them by clicking on your name in the member list, and then click on "find all posts" or "find all threads".
Old 03-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
dalberdash

Default Archives

Thanks but I am not interested in personal archives. Just archives in general so that I can view past postings of my interest.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

As far as I know all posts on this board are accessible through the current board. There are posts on here back to 2001. I don't believe that there are "archives" for this board.

For instance, if you click on "How To & Modifications", you will find that if you click on the "last" page tab under where it says "log out" you will find posts on that page from 2001.

Does the "search" function help at all?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The "Archives" is a strange section. For the most part, it has nothing in it - there are no archives.

You may recall that in October 2004, the layout of the board changed as Chris converted it over to new and better board software. When the moment came for the cutover, Chris stashed all the posts up to that moment in a storage area called "Archives", to make sure they didn't get lost during the transition. The board then started all over, with zero posts, on the cutover date, using the new software and a greatly expanded and reorganized topics list.

Once the board had settled down with the new software, and the initial kinks had been worked out, the Moderators took on the task of moving the old posts individually out of the "archive" storage area, where they were pretty hard to find, and into their proper category on the new board. There were over 10,000 posts, as I recall. I also recall someone saying something like "I'd rather translate War and Peace out of the original Russian - after first learning Russian - than try to figure out where all those posts go, and then hafta move 'em." But the job was done over a period of time, and today all the posts live where they should. You can still recognize some of the old posts because they contain strange character strings like &amp* or &quot*, which are places where the character translation from the old board software to the new isn't perfect.

Thus most of the original "archives" are actually empty now. I think (but I am not sure) that as each archive topic was emptied out, Chris linked that topic back to main screen.

As an example, you can see that the Solar Power Forum has posts going back to July 2003. However, the Solar Power Forum wasn't even created until October 2004 - before then, any solar-power-related posts were scattered around the board in various disconnected places. The fact that those posts now appear properly in the Solar Power Forum shows that someone rummaged through the 10,000 posts in the Archive, identified the solar-related posts, and moved them into the proper place on the new main forum.

Hope that made sense.

At the bottom line, I don't think you are missing anything. It is all in the main forum.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
Windbreaker

Maybe you can help with this. Remember "Happy Trails" (the guy who totally rebuilt his TM and then his wife was burned)? There have been some questions lately that could have been solved by his post. I can't find them. Can you.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Windbreaker

Default Repairs to all shells/questions, leveling shells, ect.

Thanks bud, that is just what was needed.

Follow Leon's directions on how to get to Happytrails posts and all will be explained, with photos. He rebuilt both upper shells and documented the process very well. Told how to level the shells, ect.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
dalberdash

Default Archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The "Archives" is a strange section. For the most part, it has nothing in it - there are no archives.

You may recall that in October 2004, the layout of the board changed as Chris converted it over to new and better board software. When the moment came for the cutover, Chris stashed all the posts up to that moment in a storage area called "Archives", to make sure they didn't get lost during the transition. The board then started all over, with zero posts, on the cutover date, using the new software and a greatly expanded and reorganized topics list.

Once the board had settled down with the new software, and the initial kinks had been worked out, the Moderators took on the task of moving the old posts individually out of the "archive" storage area, where they were pretty hard to find, and into their proper category on the new board. There were over 10,000 posts, as I recall. I also recall someone saying something like ;-) "I'd rather translate War and Peace out of the original Russian - after first learning Russian - than try to figure out where all those posts go, and then hafta move 'em." ;-) But the job was done over a period of time, and today all the posts live where they should. You can still recognize some of the old posts because they contain strange character strings like &amp* or &quot*, which are places where the character translation from the old board software to the new isn't perfect.

Thus most of the original "archives" are actually empty now. I think (but I am not sure) that as each archive topic was emptied out, Chris linked that topic back to main screen.

As an example, you can see that the Solar Power Forum has posts going back to July 2003. However, the Solar Power Forum wasn't even created until October 2004 - before then, any solar-power-related posts were scattered around the board in various disconnected places. The fact that those posts now appear properly in the Solar Power Forum shows that someone rummaged through the 10,000 posts in the Archive, identified the solar-related posts, and moved them into the proper place on the new main forum.

Hope that made sense.

At the bottom line, I don't think you are missing anything. It is all in the main forum.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Understood perfectly. Was clicking on the 'ARCHIVES' button at the bottom of the screen ... and getting nothing back.

Thanks for the update.