TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
attachmentmom

Default Is this a good price?

I have a chance to buy a 1992 M-26 (sight unseen) with the following features (cut and pasted from NADA).

Here's their Trailmanor page link- very helpful!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...8&Letter=T

This trailer seems like a good deal and I've seen many pictures of the trailer. It looks to be in good condition. IS this a good deal?

Thank you for your opinions!!

-Attachmentmom

Model: M-26
Length/Width: 26' x 7' 6"
Axles: 1
Weight: 2,560
Self-Contained: YES
Low Retail: $5,420 (w/o options)
Average Retail: $6,530 (w/o options)

--------------------------------

Optional Equipment
AIR CONDITIONING AND HEATING
7,000 BTU: Low: $125 Avg.: $165
Furnace (10,000-12,000 BTU): Low: $30 Avg.: $45
APPLIANCES
Gas Grill Cook Top: Low: $255 Avg.: $335
Microwave Oven: Low: $55 Avg.: $75
Refrigerator Adds For Non-Self Contained Units 2.5 - 4.0 Cu Ft.: Low: $135 Avg.: $180
ENTERTAINMENT
T.V. Antenna W/Booster: Low: $25 Avg.: $35
JACKS AND LEVELING SYSTEMS
Scissor Stabilizer Jacks: Low: $55 Avg.: $75
MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Awning 13' - 14' (Each): Low: $140 Avg.: $185
Fiberglass Exterior 30' and Under: Low: $405 Avg.: $535
Manual Slide-Out (Coach): Low: $380 Avg.: $500
Spare Tire and Carrier: Low: $35 Avg.: $45

-- Totals (after options added)
Total Low Retail: $7,060
Total Average Retail: $8,705
Old 02-21-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Is this a good price?

Do you know the seller? Will you be able to examine the unit before buying, maybe open and close it a few times? The TM has lots of moving parts, whose operation won't show in a photo. Can you get a written statement from the seller (or dealer) regarding which appliances work, along with an agreement that he will fix them if they fail within some short period of time (say 30 days)?

You would expect to fix/replace a few things in a unit this age. Maybe the battery, probably the propane tanks (which have to be replaced or recertified every 12 years, I believe), maybe the tires (which usually fail from age, not miles). But given that everything works pretty well, the price seems more than fair.

My one concern would be that the units of this vintage were framed with wood inside the walls, not metal. If there has been any water leakage into the walls, there could be rot. Rot can be fixed, but it is not simple. There is an expert on this board - look back a year or so for posts by HappyTrails.

And just a couple nits. The NADA form is not straightforward to use - they offer you the option to check a lot of boxes that you really can't or shouldn't check. Example: side-by-side refrigerator in a TM? Don't think so! In the list in your post, two things have been checked that shouldn't have been.
a) The unit is listed at the top as self-contained, meaning that it has a refrig as standard equipment, and the value of the refrig is included in the base valuation. But then the box is checked for a refrigerator added to a non-self-contained unit. That means that the refrig is counted twice, which artificially boosts the stated value.
b) Manual slide-out should not be checked. I'm not specifically familiar with the M-26, but if it has a slideout like a newer 2720SL model, for example, the slideout is counted in the base price of the unit. It should NOT be counted as an option. Again, this check mark also increases the apparent bottom line value over what it should be. Still, the price looks good.

Others will chime in here with better suggestions than mine. Let us know what you decide.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

I agree the NADA is misleading, check all the things that are options and that will only include a few things such as air cond, microwave,awning,tv antenna booster, hanging cabinet and swing around tongue.

Everything else is standard equip.

Pam
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
attachmentmom

Hmm.

Well that will reduce the seller's estimated price by $1000 or so. But they're still offering it for well below its retail value. I'm not sure they realize what they have. It was traded in for a larger trailer at this dealership. And no Bill, I won't have an opportunity to examine it before buying. It's a gamble.

Thank you both for your input!

-Attachmentmom
Old 02-22-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
jsrogers

Hello-
If you are talking about the TM in Greenville, SC-at JustNiceCars-I have seen the unit and did consider buying it. They now have it on ebay-I can tell you it can probably be bought for less than the "buy it now" price.
I spoke to the previous owner-he said that everything worked and there were no leaks.
I even spoke with the tm factory about doing some updates and got the pricing to do it.
This appears to be a sound unit, and the price is right.
I have been trying to decide if I should buy used or just go ahead and get a newer one.
I am new to camping-have never camped-so I think if I am going to give it a try a newer, more up to date unit may make it more appealing to me.
I would be more than happy to talk to you-if this is the unit you are talking about.
If interested, send me back a phone number and I will be glad to call you.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
mcfly

did the owner say how the back got banged up?
was there any wood rot where the damage was?

just curious at what you checked in to geting fixed,
lookes like a nice unit though

thanks,