TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
amp17408

Default Range

Does anyone know if they make some sort of backsplash for the range top? There is about a 1" gap at the back of the stovetop and I thought that would be a good spot to put some kind of backsplash to help keep the splatters from getting all over the wall.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Senorsedona

Smile Range backsplash

I was uncomfortable with the splashs. I cut a piece of acrylic and put up with velcro, it is working great. Also you can buy a stove top cover. When folded back it acts as a splash guard.

Good Luck
Old 02-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Wink Another alternative: Avoid making spatters

There is another approach...simply keep spatters and splashes from happening in the first place.

Nearly all food spattering comes from frying with grease/oil or from sauces that blurp out when being boiled in an open pot. If you don't fry foods and cover your boiling pots, spatters/splashes are simply not a problem. I almost entirely stopped eating any fried foods about 8 years ago in a successful effort to drastically reduce the amount of fat in my diet; a huge side benefit is that both my house and trailer stay much cleaner due to an absence of oil spatters as well no smoke & oily film on everything from the vaporized oil.

Heart healthy and everything stays much cleaner.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
murphyb74

Has anyone used the "Universal Silent Top Stove Silecer"? (see Camping World URL below). It measures 19 5/8" W x 17 1/2" D.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=21014
Old 02-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default I've got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyb74
Has anyone used the "Universal Silent Top Stove Silecer"? (see Camping World URL below). It measures 19 5/8" W x 17 1/2" D.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=21014
I have very mixed feelings about this product. It does contain a good quality and attractive butcher block type board, a plastic cutting sheet (so you don't cut the board's finish), and a template/predrilled holes that allow the provided mounting feet to truly fit just about any RV range. I used the holes labeled as being for a 3 burner Suburban range and found the feet were indeed properly aligned for the grates on my TM's range.

As for utility, it's not too bad. As the curb (door) side countertop on any TM isn't very large, this product does give you a lot more usable counter space if you're primarily cooking with a microwave or some kind of electric appliance (skillet, slow cooker, etc.). And it's easily removed if you want to use the range's gas burners.

The big problem is that although there is enough (barely) clearance between the board and rear shell ceiling to leave the board on the stove while closing up the trailer for travel, it's "silencer" aspect fails miserably. More often than not on bumpy roads it would simply bounce off the grating and be like a "loose cannon" on the trailer's interior. And even when it did remain on the grating, the combination of its jiggling and jouncing caused the little rubber grommets that cushion the grating's attachment legs to self destruct...and then I had a loose grating to contend with as well. And a loose grating meant lots of rattles from just walking around inside the trailer. So after just two trips with the cover on the stove...and a trip to Ace Hardware to find some replacement grommets...I learned to securely store the board on the floor while traveling.

Bottom line is it's a nice (though possibly overpriced) stove cover but don't leave it on the range while travelling.

Hope this helps.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Freedom

Hi, Has anybody had a problem with the entire range coming out and apart? Our last trip about half the screws that hold the top of the stove together and all but one of those holding it in place came out. Also one of the oven door hinge screws came out and left the door hanging at an odd angle. Even one of the pivots for the stove top came out and the nut dropped down below. I had to completely remove the stove to reassemble it - with a lot of Lock-tite. I don't know if Lock-tite works on sheet metal screws, but at least those with nuts may stay together. Two of the screws that are supposed to hold the stove in place were screwed into the Styrofoam counter - they held real well!! Ha! The longer we have the TM the more disappointed I become with the quality - or rather the lack thereof.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Definitely have your tires balanced.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #8
Bill & Lisa

We experienced the stove top coming loose during transport of our new unit. Our dealer has suggested the stove cover to raise the height of the unit (and the brackets for the cover better secure the stove) and then to put a folded towel over the cover. These two things would allow the shell to keep the stove top in place. This apparently worked since after transporting it back from the dealership the stove was in place.

On an older TM I'm not sure whether this would work. I agree with everyone else though--balance your tires!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Harry Womack

Default Range grate clips

I had the serrated washers on my range and all but one came off the first trip. The bouncing down the road put several dents in the ceiling. I replaced the serrated washers with the squeeze type spring clips, but they fell off going down the road also. I think that the porcelain is too hard and slick and the grate is too short going through the rubber grommet for the serrated washers or squeeze clips to bite in. I drilled cross holes in the grate and used small hitch pins to hold the grate in. Also it is easy to remove the grate for cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer pictures 004.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	781  
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Love this fix will be doing tonite !!!!!!!!! What about a washer between the hitch pin and the rubber grommet? The Rip