TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2024, 04:22 PM   #1
Rob Culver

Default Dumb question regarding Trailmanor Hitch

On my recently purchased 2023 Trailmanor 2720 QS, I observed my trailer hitch on the Trailmanor side and noticed there was some play in it. In other words it could move up and down a little even in the closed latch position. I could see that the bolt on one side would prevent the hitch from going to the completely open position but the fact that there was any play at all made me wonder if all was well and all parts were there. I uploaded a couple of pictures so you can see what it looks like. Can anyone comment as to whether this is what it's supposed to look like? I did successfully tow the trailer already, so it basicly works, I just don't want to take any chances with an item this critical. Thanks very much in advance for anyone who can look at my pictures and see what they think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240105_145410.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	22925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240105_145535.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	22926  
Rob Culver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:20 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rob -

I don't understand what I am seeing. The first pic looks like the hitch has been hit and badly dented somehow. Am I misunderstanding the picture? And what is the upright bolt standing behind the hitch lifter? You've showed us the left side of the hitch - does it look the same from the other side?

In the first pic, there is a hole in the lower right corner of the hitch latch (the silver part of the latch). When the latch is closed on the hitch ball, can you slip a metal rod (like a knitting needle) cleanly into the hole, all the way through, and out the other side?

Maybe this is a hitch from a different manufacturer. My hitch looks like the attached pic - excuse the grubbiness. I notice that your hitch has a plain black strap around the front, while on mine, the strap has substantial upward portion in the front. They are definitely not the same.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer hitch 25.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	22928  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #3
Rob Culver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Rob -

I don't understand what I am seeing. The first pic looks like the hitch has been hit and badly dented somehow. Am I misunderstanding the picture? And what is the upright bolt standing behind the hitch lifter? You've showed us the left side of the hitch - does it look the same from the other side?

In the first pic, there is a hole in the lower right corner of the hitch latch (the silver part of the latch). When the latch is closed on the hitch ball, can you slip a metal rod (like a knitting needle) cleanly into the hole, all the way through, and out the other side?

Maybe this is a hitch from a different manufacturer. My hitch looks like the attached pic - excuse the grubbiness.

Bill
Hi Bill, I took a couple of more pictures of better quality showing both sides. There's no obvious damage on my hitch. I'm thinking it must just be a different version than yours. But I suppose it might have been a replacement and not from the factory? I'm not sure if it's by design but the upright bolt can be used after lifting the hitch tab near the bolt upward and pulling back and then putting a pin in behind the bolt through the hole you mentioned to keep the hitch in the open position. To answer your question. Yes, I can slip a pin in through the hole when it's in the closed position all the way through to the hole on the other side. But that has no purpose in the closed position as shown in the pictures. Only in the open position does it then serve to keep the latch open to make it easier to detach your tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240105_162818.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	22929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240105_162829.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	22930  
Old 01-05-2024, 06:12 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

OK, glad to hear it. Definitely a different model hitch, so ignore my rant. Thanks for the new pictures - I see nothing wrong.

Incidentally, and completely separate from your query. The hole I mentioned does have a function when the latch is closed. You can pass a hitch clip through it. Many folks think that the purpose of a hitch clip is to make sure the hitch doesn't pop open on the road. I suppose that is true, but another function - and to me much more important - is to confirm that the hitch is fully closed on the ball, with no room for doubt. On my hitch, at least, it is possible to close the hitch most of the way, but not quite all the way. And it is not obvious by eye that this has happened. When I was new to trailering, I once drove an entire day with the hitch not fully closed. Scary! I instantly learned that if it is not closed all the way, a hitch clip pin won't go through the hole. And I've used one ever since.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hitch clip.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	22931  
Old 01-05-2024, 06:30 PM   #5
Rob Culver

Thank you very much Bill for the response. And thanks very much for the picture of the pin! I may end up buying one of those. In my case it wouldn't mean that the hitch was completely closed just because the pin went through the hole while in the closed position. When the pin is through the hole it does not prevent the latch from lifting up and opening. The reason I thought something might be a miss is that there is no clicking or any other indication that the hitch is completely attached when down. And the hitch will lift up a bit only stopped by the bolt to keep it from opening. That seemed a bit odd to me because even though there is normally hundreds of pounds of downward pressure to keep the hitch in place it could still pop up maybe an inch and only get stopped by the bolt to prevent it from opening. That doesn't seem like a great design to me to allow that kind of play if everything really is correct. Have you ever seen a Trailmanor or other trailer hitch that operated that way?
Old 01-05-2024, 09:28 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Rob, just curious. Is there any name stenciled on the side or top of that coupler? I'm curious cause when I google hitch couplers, there's a lot of different version, but not seeing any with that bolt.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:31 AM   #7
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

Isn't the black U-shaped collar that is around the front of the hitch supposed to flip over the release handle to "lock" the hitch. Then the hitch pin would go through the hole to keep the collar from moving forward while towing.

It has been a while since I had a hitch that operated this way so I am not 100% certain but I seem to recall that being how it operated.
jagizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 11:34 AM   #8
Rob Culver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Rob, just curious. Is there any name stenciled on the side or top of that coupler? I'm curious cause when I google hitch couplers, there's a lot of different version, but not seeing any with that bolt.
Hi Kidraz,
I scoured everywhere in and around the coupler. Above, below and on the rest of the hitch. Unfortunately, no name anywhere. Would be interesting to know if anyone else shows a name. If others show a name, it makes me wonder if my hitch is a one off replacement. Probably not but who knows.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:03 PM   #9
Rob Culver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagizzi View Post
Isn't the black U-shaped collar that is around the front of the hitch supposed to flip over the release handle to "lock" the hitch. Then the hitch pin would go through the hole to keep the collar from moving forward while towing.

It has been a while since I had a hitch that operated this way so I am not 100% certain but I seem to recall that being how it operated.
Hi Jagizzi,
With this coupler the pictures I showed with the U shaped collar down was definitely the closed position in which the tow truck is fully attached. Putting a pin through the hole while in the closed position does not prevent any ability to open the coupler. I attached a couple more pictures. One shows the coupler completely open in which I then put a pin through the hole and that keeps it open because the pin is then behind the bolt. In the other picture it shows the coupler in the closed position but if you try to move the lift tab back without lifting it then it gets stopped by the bolt. So the bolt is then the mechanism to keep it from opening.

I guess what started this thread is that I just didn't like that there was a little bit of play in the coupler while in the closed position. In other words you could lift the tab back maybe a half inch without lifting it up until it hit the bolt. When I put my finger on the under side of the coupler I could feel it moving slightly as I moved the lift tab back to the bolt and so perhaps not coupling as tightly.

Would be interesting if anyone elses Trailmanor operates with this style hitch on a 2023. I bought it used and am just trying to get a warm feeling that there was no accident that caused them to put in a one off hitch. It is a swing hitch though so that's a good sign.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240106_093233.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	22937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240106_093439.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	22938  
Old 01-06-2024, 12:14 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

You might send a query to Paul Wipf at the factory, with a clear picture, and asking him if the hitch is OEM. He will undoubtedly pass the query to Jacob, who knows the mechanics of the TM best. At the same time, you might ask for the mfr name and model name.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Bill