TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Don & Ginger

Default Thetford charge leaking

First day out on a 2 week trip and I noticed after charging the Thetford the next morning it had lost its charge. I figured that the seal had gone bad and I would replace it when I got home. After returning home and removing the Thetford I noticed that the handle for the drain has a cheap "C" clip that holds it on and lets you pull the handle, when pushing the handle there is a small plastic step built into the handle that pushes the rod in. The plastic step had become brittle and broken so when I pushed in it was not pushing the rod all the way in and therefore not completely closing the valve. Below is a picture of my fix. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the end of a cutoff bolt, slipped it onto the rod, wrapped a wet rag around the rod so as not to transfer the heat to the rubber seal and welded the bolt to the rod. Next I placed a nut and washer then the handle then another nut to hold it tight. Now there is no slip the Thetford has held a charge for 2 days now and I believe it is fixed. I am probably the only one that has had this happen but if it happens to anyone else this fix worked for me. While I was at it I pressure washed the screen and removed the plastic skirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thetford.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	7715  
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
clown9644

Nice job! Some day I am going to have to pull my commode I am sure, only wish it will be as clean. So far all works ok so I am not touching it!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Nice job sometimes ours louses its charge but that seems to be the rubber seal.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote