TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-06-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default Stone Bridge Campground

We just got back from a wonderful 5 day trip to Maggie Valley, N.C. this campsite is only open until Nov. 1st, it has a nice walking area and it has river sites, for labor day we had a hotdog cookout for all the campers and get this it was free, also a Elvis impersonator for entertainment and horseshoes. I would go back next year and plan to do so.

Pam
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Stone Bridge Campground

Sounds to me like I'm going to have to make a trip to North Carolina. What's this area known for? History, nature, culture, or just is?
Old 09-07-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Moonshot

Default Re:Stone Bridge Campground

Quote:
What's this area known for? History, nature, culture, or just is?
Windbreaker,

I'm an NC native. Maggie Valley is an interesting place. I believe development here began in the 1960s as one of the "tourist traps" of the era.

I don't mean that necessarily in a negative way. I haven't been through there in years, but within the same area was "Ghost Town", a wild west mock-up. Also Tweetsie Railroad, with a real working turn-of-the-century vintage steam locomotive and open-air cars where "injuns" come along side and attack. Fred Kirby was the resident white-hat cowboy and surely any Carolinian between 35 and 55 has fond memories of Fred and his horse Calico. I believe Fred Kirby passed away several years ago. Anyway, sometime ago they built a theme park with roller coasters and other rides. Kids 12 and under will likely have a great time in the area.

Of course, you are in the heart of the Smokey Mountains. Some beautiful views and hiking trails in the area.

I think this is area is worth a visit, especially if you have small children.

Scott