TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
jhill30

Default 12 volt scissor jack for changing tires

not sure where to post this, but here seemed like a good place.

I have been looking for a good jack (preferably scissor type) to use on TV or TM when changing flats. I have read (I believe on here somewhere) about using a 12 volt scissor jack. Does anyone have one, if so, what is your experience with them? how well do they work? are they reliable?
I am looking at getting this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...112&zmap=95851
Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I don't really know the practical advantages of scissors jacks vs. hydraulic jacks, but you can get a floor (or bottle) hydraulic jack for the same price, same capacity, and roughly same size as the one you referenced. The main advantage that I can think of with a hydraulic jack is that they don't require any power and are easy to operate.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
jhill30

So, something like this would be more practical??
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36119
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

In my opinion, yes. But why not just use the bottle jack that came with your vehicle? You already have one and you're already carrying it.

Dave
Old 04-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
In my opinion, yes. But why not just use the bottle jack that came with your vehicle? You already have one and you're already carrying it.

Dave
That was my expectation. The reality is different.

The bottle jack in my 1500HD crew cab truck does not go up far enough. So I just used the corner jacks on the TM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
rumbleweed

Don't forget to get a lug wrench for the TM. If you are towing with a truck or other large vehicle, you lug wrench might not fit. My 2009 2720SL is 13/16.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
That was my expectation. The reality is different.

The bottle jack in my 1500HD crew cab truck does not go up far enough. So I just used the corner jacks on the TM.
Interesting. The bottle jack on my Toyota Sequoia has plenty of rise to change a TM tire -- I know from experience. I guess it pays to find out in your driveway rather than on the side of the road somewhere.

Dave
Old 04-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Seems to me that the amount of rise in your bottle jack is kind of irrelevant. When the time comes, just put your bottle jack under the frame, and pump it up as far as it will go. If you get enough height, fine. If you don't, just lower the TM's corner jacks to the ground (it's easy, since there is no load) using your cordless drill. Then collapse the bottle jack all the way, letting the scissors jacks support the TM at its partially-raised level. Now put some boards or blocks under the fully-retracted bottle jack, to bring it back up against the frame. Pump up the bottle jack again, and again lower the scissors jacks to the ground. Now you have twice the lift of the bottle jack, and have expended no sweat getting there.

No need to crank those scissors jacks with a load on them (I'm lazy). This works especially well when the ground is soft, the jack sinks in, and you need multiple lifts.

Of course, when you get to the final height, no matter how you got there, lower the TM corner jacks to the ground. Don't ever trust a bottle jack to hold a load, where your life could be at stake.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Of course, when you get to the final height, no matter how you got there, lower the TM corner jacks to the ground. Don't ever trust a bottle jack to hold a load, where your life could be at stake.
Bill
I absolutely agree with that.

Many years ago I was under my 1965 Chevy Impala while it was on jacks stands. I was using the lowest setting on the stand. I just wanted a little more clearance so I could move around underneath. I had two jack stands on the rear only.

While I was under the car, the jack stand pins both sheared in two places. The two sections of each stand acted like giant scissors.

Fortunately, it only fell about half an inch. I was not crushed. But it was a lot harder to wiggle out that it was to wiggle in.

Ever since, I have been *VERY* careful around cars not sitting on all four wheels.

While I was changing my TM tire, I would not let anyone anywhere near it. I kept my hands and legs clear at all times, so that even in a collapse I do not think i would have been seriously hurt.

Far too many times i have watched people change a tire while having one leg on each side, under the vehicle or trailer. Not me.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill30 View Post
So, something like this would be more practical??
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36119
Be careful with those cheap little floor jacks. If they aren't perfectly level, the arms can bend and the entire thing folds up like a pretzel.

I'm a big bottle jack fan too. I carry 2 of them. If one won't raise high enough, I put the 2nd one on blocks & jack it up. If that's still not high enough, I use the 1st one again. It's quick & easy.