TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
JOEALAN

Default Changing tires on TM while parked in the garage

My son and I learned the hard way (raising TM, breaking all lug nuts) that we couldn't get the tires off the axle while the unit was closed. My son wanted to pop open the TM, but I didn't believe this would work since we wouldn't be able to fully open.

Anyone successful changing tires while parked in a standard double garage?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
mtnguy

I have wondered about something like that also, but if I have to change a tire beside of the road. I have heard of people doing this if they have the lift kit, but I now have 15" wheels and tires, and I don't think it will work without removing the fender skirts.

However, what if you just raise the shells enough to clear the fender skirts without putting the shells all of the way up??

Chap
Old 12-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
wmtire

When I put some new tires on my 3023 back in October, I had to remove the plastic fender skirts. I just released the shells and raised them enough get the tires out. I didn't have to fully raise them to do this. (really didn't have to raise them much at all)

As I have learned from reading these forums, you'll need to carry a proper sized square head driver or bit to remove the factory screws that retain the fender skirts (if so equipped). It's not a good time to learn this lesson when you're on the side of the road.

Also, I think this forum is listed under the incorrect topic. Maybe we can get one of our administrators to kindly move it, if they aren't too busy being Christmas Eve.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow, do you mean that you actually broke the studs? Or did you mean that you simply had a hard time "breaking" the nuts free? Breaking the studs off has nothing to do with the TM being open or closed, of course. It means that at some point, some tire jockey with an air wrench and a lot of enthusiasm torqued them down WAY too hard. The factory doesn't do this.

The last tire dealer I dealt with did it right. He had the air wrench adjusted to a setting he called "snug", and then finished them off with a torque wrench. IIRC, the proper setting is 90 foot-pounds.

When you encounter a badly overtorqued situation, an air wrench may be the only way to get the lug nuts off. Even if they come off nicely, I worry. Overtorquing the lug nuts can strain the lugs to the point where they will break later. Keep an eye on those little guys.

What kind of lug wrench do you have? If you don't have access to an air wrench, one of the big cross-wrenches may give you the best chance of getting the nuts off without breaking the studs. I've been in a sitaution (beside the road) where my wife had to stand on one arm of the cross wrench, while I lifted the opposite arm with two hands and a strong back. It worked, though I hope never to have to do it again. Some people keep a 2-foot length of galvanized pipe in the tow vehicle, to use as a "cheater bar" and make removing the nuts easier. By contrast, one of the L-shaped car wrenches is an almost certain loser.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
JOEALAN

Thanks for the response. I have not opening my TM since purchasing and parked in garage. I wasn't sure if you could release the shells and partially raise them without them falling back down. I didn't want my son to open the unit for that reason. Very tight quarters in my garage.
Thank you for your concern on the lug nuts. Will keep that in mind when putting tires back on.

Bobby, I don't know if anyone is keeping track of tires anymore, but I'm putting on two Hancocks (Previous discussed) instead of Coopers. Couldn't find Coopers in stock.
Date on tires is 07/07. I learned alot from your threads, thank you.

Bill, I may have used the wrong word when I said breaking lug nuts. I met they seem to be very tight. But I'm sure the previous owner never change a tire. Dosen't look like they were balance either. No weights at all.

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Joe
Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Joe -

Gotcha. Glad you didn't actually break the studs. I hate that.

By the way, it might be easy to pop the latches and raise the shells a foot or so in the garage. That would be enough to expose the tires. But it might be hard to get the shells closed again, especially on the side against the wall. In my garage, it would be REALLY tough!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
As I have learned from reading these forums, you'll need to carry a proper sized square head driver or bit to remove the factory screws that retain the fender skirts (if so equipped). It's not a good time to learn this lesson when you're on the side of the road.

I replaced those square headed screws with phillips screws of the same size.....they work great, and I would think that most people carry a phillips screwdriver with them when they travel. Now, if only the other items with square headed screws don't mess up during a trip.

Chap
Old 12-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Freedom

The type of square headed screws my TM has on it can also be screwed in/out with a Phillips - if you're careful. You have to be able to get a straight shot at them though, and some of the ones on my TM you have to use a bit and a 1/8 inch wrench because they're behind one of the support brackets.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
JOEALAN

Default Tires, wheel skirt, square nut screws

December 25, 2007

Thats a great idea. Changing square head screws to philips head sounds like the way to go unless someone knows other applications using square nuts on TM?

Still leary on popping open in garage. To be safe than sorry, I think I just hook up and take it to a tire shop and be done with it.

Joe
Old 12-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
NYJeff

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a square drive screwdriver as opposed to changing out the various screws? What if you miss one? Most multi-tip screwdrivers (& kits) include #1 & #2 drives. You can even get "bits" for cordless drivers. Seems much easier to me but I've been using square drives for years so maybe it's just second nature.

Jeff