TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Bill & Lisa

Default Winery (s) - don't always trust your GPS!

We have begun to develop an interest in wines, especially reds. Two weeks ago while camping at North Landing Beach in Va Beach, we visited two wineries on Knotts Island in North Carolina (Moonrise Bay and Martin Vineyards) While we got wine from both the martin wines were better wines.

This weekend while in the Waynesboro Va. area we didn't get out to check out the local wineries early on Sunday morning so we had to do it AFTER we checked out of the campground. (those who have read my post on the starbucks drive through may guess where this is going )

The first winery was less than 3 miles from the campground. It was the King Family vineyards and the place is beautiful. There were many familys having picnics and a couple meeting a wedding planner planning their wedding which was going to be on the grounds.

The second one, Stone Mountain Vineyards, was closer to Charlottesville. The brochure we had gave directions from the Charlottesville area but since I had a GPS unit I just punched in the address. According to my GPS the vineyard was 24 miles away from the King Family vineyard, but the GPS had no problem with the address so off we went. As we started out heading down country roads instead of backtracking towards the interstate, DW read in the brouchure that the vineyard was at 1700ft. Looking at the printout on the GPS I noted we were only at about 400 ft at the time but 24 miles is plenty of distance to go up 1300ft.

The first 5 miles were not too bad although the roads were a little narrow and local folks seemed to always come flying around blind corners straddling the centerline. Then the centerline went away as the roads continued to get narrower. The shoulder also started to disappear and where the asphalt ended on the side of the road there was a 2-4 inch drop to the dirt. We bounced the trailer off the edge on one curve as we avoided oncoming traffic that wanted his half out of the middle.

15 miles from the winery the asphalt went away to be replaced by washboard gravel. Still things were not too bad ...Yet . The scenery was beautiful and included passing the original WALTON homestead. The GPS even directed us onto the brokeback mountain pass road. as we left the last of the farms and entered the tree line the road became more of a foot path and assumed a 30 degree incline. My tow vehicle could not hack it and we almost slide back down backwards. I ended up having to back up about 1/4 mile to where a level field opened next to the road where I could back the trailer in and turn around. Zooming out on the gps I saw that ther was an alternative road that circled around and joined back up with the road we wanted on the other side of the mountain. We were about 1300 feet at this time so it shouldn't be too bad.....

This road turned out to be the Simmons Gap road. I now have a better idea of what a gap is (that space between my ears that thought I could tow my 3023 through it!). There were a number of switchbacks that required hugging the outside edge so the trailer would clear the inside of the turn. I had been in 3rd since losing the asphalt but some spots required downshifting all the way to 1st and I still wasn't sure we were going to make it up until we actually cleared the top of the rise. Just as I started to get comfortable with the steep inclines and the hairpin switchbacks the mountain through us a new curve - hairpins in which there was a 1- 1 1/2 foot difference in height ower the width of the track (couldn't really call it a road anymore) where it looked like a third of the road was gullied by rain water. I now had to worry about the TM sliding sideways across the road as I went around the turns. I think there were angels pushing to keep the low side supported but the equalizer anti sway might have helped some too!

Well, long story short we finally pulled into the parking lot of the Stone Mountain winery. Managed to get the rig turned around and lined up for the exit. My knees were literally shaking. The view from the tasting room was fantastic as was the effect of the wine on my nerves.

The locals were amazed. They would not have recommended the 3 mile gravel road drive up from Dyke with a trailer let alone coming over the top of the mountain the back way. It took me two attempts to make it up the ramp out of the parking lot but after that it was the 3 miles down hill til we reached paved road again. There were some tight turns and the GPS tried to turn us up into a driveway instead of a road but in general it was much easier than the trip there. I want to go back again on our next trip and take some pictures but without the trailer.

I definately need to go through and tighten up some loose screws (maybe some of my own while I am at it!

Bill
Old 10-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I had a similar experience with GPS nav a few years ago in New Mexico, heading east out of Alamagordo. Let's just say that a state road number in NM does not imply pavement. This is the only time I've ever had a flat on a trailer. (This was a little pop-up, not a TM). Since then I've always consulted a reliable printed atlas for trip planning....

Thanks for the interesting story, glad you made it.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Doug W.

A GPS is great, but lets you think you can get to anywhere. I have a GPS I use with my Dell Axim X50v PDA. You have to watch those street navigation programs. At some point, it is hard to tell the good gravel roads from the bad ones. I have run into that before. Down in southern Missouri I thought I could take a road to my mom's. Imagine my surprise when the bridge actually turned out to be a ford across the river. I have learned from my mistake. The advantage of the PDA is also having a topographic mapping program on it. After the first problem, I would have fired up my topographic mapping program. It tends to have a better perspective to questionable roads like that.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Bill & Lisa

TC, I think there were 7 wines on the taste list at the first winery and 6 at the second.

W, I also use a Dell AximX50 as my gps unit, but I don't have a topographical program listed. What program do you use?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I use Delorme Street Atlas on my laptop with a plugin GPS receiver. I really like the software for trip routing, etc. But, like I said, I will check out the little roads on another reference.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The GPS unit itself is a great thing, producing astounding position accuracy. But as a routing guide, it is no better than the data base that accompanies it. And in my experience, the data bases are not very good.

Last weekend, we had a couple old friends visiting from Connecticut. They bragged relentlessly about their Prius hybrid. Nothing in the world could be as good as their new Prius! Why, it even has a super-duper GPS nav system built in!

Saturday we were out doing some geocaching west of Portland (Maine). At the end of the day, they bragged that they could get us home without help from us locals, relying on their built-in GPS nav system. Wunnerful! It told us we could take Rte 302 toward town, then grab I-95 south. The GPS tracked our position flawlessly, but the data base didn't take note of the fact that there is no interchange between Rte 302 and I-95. As we cruised under I-95, I chuckled quietly while they spluttered.

We didn't hear nearly as much about the magic Prius for the rest of the weekend. A welcome relief! Bill and Lisa's conclusion, in the title of the first post, is quite correct.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
MidwestDave

Thumbs up GPS experiences

We also have a GPS , a Garmin c330. We call her Gabby. She has given us wrong directions more than once. Telling us to turn left when it should be right. WE put in an address of a Walmart and it can't find it! We enter a church camp 90 miles away and can't locate address to give directions.
We purchased it in March of this year and Garmin has notified me of up dates three times. I have down loaded up dates and still experience small gliches.
Over all it has been very useful. Just beware it isn't infalable!

Midwest Dave
Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Gps

We have a GPS too- we call her "Miss Garmin". I've updated the software once, and Garmin has a new update available right now for something like $75. Like other have said, I have found the GPS to be helpful most of the time, but it is not perfect. We usually have the "old school" fold out paper map, or a road atlas nearby! I like some of the other features such as "ETA", "Max Speed", "Avg Speed", "Trip Miles" etc., that the GPS also provides.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Thanks for making me laugh!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
MidwestDave

Thumbs up Garmin Up Dates

Leslie & Nick do you have a USB cord for your Garmin? You can have Garmin notify you online when there are up dates and they will give you a web address to go and down load up dates FREE! I have done it four times now since March. Good Luck!

Midwest Dave
Northwestern Illinois