TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2002, 04:58 AM   #1

Default Has anyone made new curtains?

I am getting ready to tackle new curtains for our TM.  We got the tape yesterday which ran about $30 bucks.  The worst part I'm afraid will be material purchase.  There's a bunch of material in the curtains.

If anyone has made curtains, for what size unit and how much material did you buy?  I figure I'll be measuring and calculating yardage this weekend.  I will be sure to wash and dry my material before making the curtains, that way they won't shrink when I wash them later.  Now if I can just find material to match teal and pink.  
Old 07-10-2002, 11:08 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: Has anyone made new curtains?

Dipsmom, hey, that's a pretty good idea, deliberately trying to shrink the material before ya even make them. I wonder why TM hasn't caught on to that one yet? Something to throw in their "suggestion" box next time ya talk to em huh?

Happytrails...........
Old 07-11-2002, 02:18 PM   #3
dirtfan

We just purchased a used '96 2720SL and some of the curtains are pretty faded and dirty.  I plan to tackle making new ones (probably a good winter project).  I think that some kind of polyester knit would have some good stretch to it and do also plan to pre-wash the material.  All good seamstresses usually do this.  I think I figured the material I would need and I usually tend to over-estimate.  I figured for the 2720 (excluding the privacy curtain) that I would need 10 yds of 48" wide or about 8 yards of 60" wide material. I haven't begun to shop for the proper material yet.  Good luck to whomever tries this...post results if possible.  

dirtfan
Old 07-28-2002, 03:09 PM   #4

I have not made new ones, but I did dye my faded ones.  They came out great.  Now I did dye them darker then the original color, but that is fine with me.  Today I dyed the valances.  They seems to have come out good.  They are still wet, so I won't know for sure until tomorrow.  I actually left the valances intact when I dyed them.  I didn't want to remove the material from the wood.

Also, if you do try this, don't put your curtains in the dryer.  From what I understand they will shrink.  I just put mine up slightly damp, and I had no problems
Old 07-28-2002, 03:16 PM   #5
Happytrails

That's a pretty good idea to David. My grandma used to use Rit?!? I think that's the name, quite a bit.....ya don't see it much anymore these days, but they still sell it in the local grocery stores....much cheaper solution anyway.......Great idea! (I'm going to have to do the same thing eventually as my curtains are very faded in the front section).

Happytrails......
Old 07-29-2002, 08:23 AM   #6

It was Ritt that I used.  Actually they sell it almost everywhere.  Kmart, Walmart, Grocery Stores, etc.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:14 AM   #7
Happytrails

Lol......I'm sure they do, but long ago I learned I needed to wear horse blinders, and use a carry basket when I go into a Wallmart.....otherwise I can't get out of there without spending $100.00 bucks or more....
Old 08-07-2002, 09:01 AM   #8
oilspot

Although my curtains seem to be holding up (1996 model), they are faded a bit.  We may wash and dye them this fall (and tint the windows while we're at it).

For those wishing to make curtains from scratch, the plastic tape with tabs is sold by the foot at many RV stores.  Three Way Campers in Atlanta had it in stock, haven't checked Nashville stores yet.  It is also in the catalog, which most RV stores order from....

My next set of curtains will have the white coating on the inside (used to call them "insulated drapes&quot so they won't fade as much.  Assuming I can find such fabric.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:03 AM   #9
hal

If there were anything we all would like to see refined in the TrailManor are the curtains.  Most of us have some type problem with them.  Some of us have all the problems being discussed.  Being that our trailer is parked at the sloping front curb when we raise it and lower the tops in preparation for a journey, the lower hem of the curtain is scraped when the roof is raised.  Very often, we have to resnap the bottom cutain glides into the track.  Actually, this often happens even if the trailer is level at the time.  Almost all of this problem deals with the curtains in the window next to the sink.  

It sounded as though some people are preparing to make new curtains.  I have a suggestion that may prevent this problem from occurring with your new curtains.  What if the lower track were protected from the side wall as it raises?  Is there an easy way to protect this track?  Yes.... If you were to lengthen your curtains so that the bottom hem and the bottom track will be installed  low enough on the wall so that when the side flaps are raised the track and curtain are behind them.  This may help the roof to pass by without grabbing the lower hem as it is raised.  This idea is merely a hunch but has been thought through carefully and most likely will be used when we make replacement curtains.  Of course, it probably is best to close the curtains (already recommended by the manufacturer)  to prevent a bulky fold that may cause the flaps to bulge and thereby be caught instead.

Hal
Old 08-11-2002, 01:41 PM   #10
DancinCampers

We recently purchased a TM and more recenly joined this board. There is a wealth of info here. Have been enjoying all the posts.
I am getting ready to tackle the job of making new curtains. The old ones are not the original so I don't have much to go by. I understand that I have to get the curtain tape that slides in the tracks, but was wondering if the curtains, when closed, are supposed to be flat against the window or are they pleated or gathered? This info would help me visualize what they are supposed to look like and will also help in the measurements.