TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
moaboy

Default 2 4 inch holes on street side bottom of TM?

Would someone please tell me what is the purpose of the 2, 4 inch holes on the streetside bottom of my TM? They are located about halfway between the two windows in front of the wheel near where the eletrical goes up thru the TM floor. In one hole is a small fan connected to an white internal hose that runs up either to the bath or fridge? The other hole is filled with electrical wires, the bottom of a gray metal plate or box with other tubing visible. This second holes would seem to let a lot of air- particularly cold air -into whatever cavity or compartment that is there. While both of the holes in my 2009.5 are covered with a fabric screen mesh, I wondered what the second hole is (the one w/o the fan) and wondered if it could be stuffed with insulation or better closed off. The two holes are not necessarily connected but one can see the vent hose running up from the other hole.
Everything else underneath seems to be nicley sealed off.
Thanks.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default exhaust fans

One is an exhaust fan to remove excess heat from the back of the refrigerator, especially when the trailer is folded down; switch located to the left of the refrigerator below the kitchen sink. The other is an exhaust fan mounted beneath the tub; switch located on the bathroom sink cabinet.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
moaboy

ok I am aware of both exhaust fans and thought they figured in here some how. the front one I can see the internal white tubing coming from above. the other one however has a bunch of wires etc. that one is an exhaust port as well? seems odd they would vent moisture past all those wires etc?

in cold weather would it not make sense to cover them some how if one were not going to use the fans?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Tim pointed out, the purpose of the fan is to vent excess heat (not moisture) from the back of the refrigerator. The refrigerator's heat, of course, collects at the top of the compartment, and the fan pulls it down through the hose and out through the floor. With the fan on, you should be able to feel air coming out through the hole in the floor if you put your hand under the TM. (Occasionally someone installs the fan backward, so it pulls air in rather than pushing it out. It doesn't work nearly as well that way.)

As I recall (my TM is in storage at the moment), the second hole, near the first, provides makeup air for the compartment. That is, as the fan pulls hot air down and out, cooler fresh air flows in through the second hole. This is needed, of course, only when the TM is closed - when it is open, the vents in the side of the TM provide plenty of ventilation.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
moaboy

So are they two holes that vent (in and out) the refrig. or one for refrig and one for bathroom vent?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
So are they two holes that vent (in and out) the refrig. or one for refrig and one for bathroom vent?
The two holes are for the refrigerator. The hole for the bathroom vent is in a black box back behind the dump valve and rear water system drain faucets.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
The forward one is for the fridge. The rear one is the exhaust for the bathroom.

The intake for the fridge air is the upper & lower (white plastic) vent panels on the outside of the the box.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
moaboy

If I am reading both responses correctly-which is always a question-I believe they are saying two different things.

When warmer weather arrives I will get my TM out of the garage, open it up and separately run the refrig. fan and feel around and then do the same thing with the bathroom fan.

Any clarification before then would help me sleep at night...just kidding.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

While you should definitely feel air coming out the hole for the fridge fan, the hole for the bathroom fan likely won't put out nearly as much. That's because the bathroom fan simply discharges into the space under the bathtub, which also houses the converter. That compartment is far from air tight, so while there will probably be some air coming from that hole, it probably won't be much.

In slideout models, there is also another similarly sized hole under the rear storage compartment. That's a vent for the batteries, but there is no fan for that one.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default holes on the TM

On our '11 2720SL there are two 4 inch holes through the floor at the back of the refrig. 1 as previously noted has the muffin fan. The 2nd hole is very close to the propane burner for the refrig. Take one step towards the back past the water heater there is a louvered vent cover like the one for the battery. Next under the floor is another plastic cover with screened hole, this is below the tube/shower p trap. There are enough holes to drive you to

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote