TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You make some good points. On the other hand, I'm sure you've seen the specs on the Lexus site that say "Max towing 3500 pounds" followed by footnote 7, which reduces that capacity by saying "The maximum you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment." In other words, rated tow capacity is reduced pound-for-pound by the weight of cargo, occupants, factory options, and aftermarket equipment. This additional weight runs between 500-1000 pounds for most owners. Now where do things stand?

By the way, the Lexus site says the V-6 engine puts out 270 hp, not 370 hp.

Not to be discouraging, but since you live in Denver, you will probably travel at high altitude, with significant up and down grades. That will be a challenge. My wife and I have a cabin in Big Elk Meadows (Lyons, kind of), at 7700 feet. Our Explorer (7000 pound tow capacity), with the TM behind and probably 800 pounds of "cargo, occupants, and other", is always a bit reluctant, as we make the long steep climb to the gate from either direction. As a quick check, you might want to put a tranny temp gauge on your Lexus (they require only a quick electrical plug-in - no plumbing - and not too expensive), load up the Lexus and the TM ready for camping, and drive up to the gate at Big Elk. Take CR47 off Rte 36 between Lyons and Estes Park. You may be surprised.

Bill
I'm not a betting man but I would think he is over the tongue’s max weight rating!

BTW - If installing a trans cooler be careful about the amount and what type of fluid you add (Toyota/Lexus uses a SPECIAL/PROPRITARY low viscosity synthetic fluid -WS). Also there is no dip stick to know the correct amount. You may want to have a Pro do the install!

Koz